Award booking issues on FB website

Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:12 am

Programs: FB Gold
for 55K miles and not the normal 60K
These errors seem to happen all the times. When I tried to book an award flight ZRH-SFO, they showed availability in C for 90K miles (instead 80K). However, the call-centre said that there's no availability whatsoever for my preferred dates in C, though they promised to fix the error (I sent them screenshots from the FB award booking site). Finally, I found availability for 80K miles for Oct31 (via AMS) and Nov 23 (via CDG), but then another mystery unfolded: The award was exclusively bookable for elite-plus members. So I wasn't able to book it for my wife (ivory). The call-centre explained that they hold some award seats for elite-plus only... Anybody knows about this?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
How do you book a multi-destination trip? I click on the multi-destination link on the award booking engine but it doesn't allow me to make such a booking?

I want to book AMS-CDG, stop for a day, then CDG-BOM, then return. Is that possible on the web?

I tried calling, but they say there is no availability for the CDG-BOM even though the web has availability if I try to book a CDG-BOM roundtrip. The agent said the web can sometimes get seats that they cannot get.
Such trips are best booked as one-ways. Selecting one-way is a good way to check (online) availability, anyway. When booking, be sure you check the amount of taxes: It should'nt be higher than for a return ticket. If the taxes show a difference, you should contact Flying Blue call-centre instead.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by KL803
The call-centre explained that they hold some award seats for elite-plus only... Anybody knows about this?
W-class (only on longhaul in addition to X-class) can be used for awards for elites, but not for regular FB member.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by chrissxb
W-class (only on longhaul in addition to X-class) can be used for awards for elites, but not for regular FB member.
Thanks for this insight, chrissxb. However, my award ticket shows D-class on the ZRH-AMS-SFO leg and O-class on the SFO-CDG-ZRH leg
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by KL803
Thanks for this insight, chrissxb. However, my award ticket shows D-class on the ZRH-AMS-SFO leg and O-class on the SFO-CDG-ZRH leg
O is biz award on AF
D is biz award on KL
Old Sep 18, 2006, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by chrissxb
O is biz award on AF
D is biz award on KL
which doesn't explain why my wife could not have it.

Or does
W-class (only on longhaul in addition to X-class) can be used for awards for elites, but not for regular FB member
show as O and D respectiveley, too? Booking classes are to me (except V-class, which I avoid all the times )
Old Sep 19, 2006, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by am3n3
After reading this post I had some reservations (no pun intended) about booking award flights online, but so far I am pleasantly surprised (but still paranoid). Here's why:

I was looking for 2 business-class awards from AMS-JFK and LAX-CDG in November, preferably on KL so I can collect those houses filled w/booze. I first called the FB Helpdesk, who told me there were 2 seats remaining on a KL flight to AMS-JFK. In the meantime, did searches on airfrance.fr, .us, and on klm.co.uk. All came up with the same availability.

Called back to FB helpdesk later that day to book the AMS-JFK flights, and told they were gone. Also called FB in Canada, who said the same thing. During this time, the online award booking engines were still showing availability. So I did what I thought was stupid and booked the WBC award flights online anyway on the KLM site. Double-checked that it was showing the flights as business on my connecting segments & deducted 40k miles per person, then paid the flight taxes, and done. Printed out the confirmations to show we were booked in D, and waited until today to do seat assignments.

And to my surprise, we were still in WBC, and picked our seats. The e-ticket confirmation I was emailed also confirmed we were in D.

Not the outcome I expected, but in my case it was the right outcome... so far. The award booking engine gave me & my husband seats that were not available when I phoned the UK/FR and Canadian helpdesks. But I did double and triple-check my the flight/class details before I paid for it.
I am in the same dilema at present looking at flights MAN-MIA-MAN x 2 in C.

Availability is there on online for the dates I want but when I called FB helpdesk was told there were no seats available. I also tried other dates for seats that were showing as available online and agent confirmed no seats available on these dates aswell. I called back 3 times and all agents told me the same answer ( at least some consistency for once ).

Is it possible that online booking tool automatically uses the seats from other fare buckets for elite plus members ?

I am reluctant to book online due to all errors that have happened to FTers in the past but your story is making me think oh what the hell, if its available online and showing correct classes / mileage required then book it !
Old Sep 20, 2006, 7:12 am

Just to add follow up to my above post.

I bit the bullet and decided to try to book online as it showed availability on various dates that would suit me.

Spent ages going through the process on lots of dates only to always get to the final screen after selecting ticket method of e-ticket and get the following message.

"System unable to respond, Please try again later"

This has been happening now for 2 days. It is soooooo frustrating !

I guess it is because there probably isn't availability even though it says there is. Go figure

When I ring the FB desk they try to palm me off with the "Open Miles" option all the time. Seems to be a bit of a scam

It seems miles are becoming worthless and harder to redeem.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 6:38 am

Inconsistent with destinations.

I am trying to book NYC in Business for Dec 21. For the past week or so the situation is (all availabilities are for business except CDG-MRS):
1- NYC-MRS not possible
2- NYC-CDG possible with stop in AMS
3- NYC-AMS not possible
4- AMS-MRS possible
5- CDG-MRS possible

Isn't that weird? If I can get say 2 and 5 shouldn't I get 1? Or combine the first leg of 2 and then 4? But the system would not offer that.

Then I called the FB line, a few times in NY and Paris, and in all cases they did not even see the availability I get...

I also emailed the website assistance but no answer so far.

Any idea? I do not want to combine tickets for more miles, paticularly with the risk of missing the connection...

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:12 am

FB website charged me double miles.

Booked a ticket on through FB website in Biz class RT from DEl-CDG-JFK.
Checked every possible date in nov on all ST routes/airlines, so that i did not have to excersise the OPEN-season-on-all-of-your-hard-earned-MILES option.

Finally, i found a Tue flight outbound and a flight on Thanksgiving inbound. Bought the ticket, checked over and over again for the class of service /number of miles. On the last page it didn't charge me 120K miles, it in fact, only charged me 100K miles ... hmm, I thought... who am i to blow against the wind. Went ahead and paid the outrageous Euro 271 taxes-fuelsurcharge-causeWeCan fee, all very happily, because for the first time in 2 years, i was able to get a C class booking with miles, within a remote striking distance of the days i needed to travel, on ST.

Except now i see that FB has deducted 240k miles I called FB and they said the ticket shows as an Open Miles option and that one of the outbound and inbound flights was booked as open miles. She says i need to Now luckily i printed out the confirmation (last) page on the website which shows that i was charged 100k miles. She told me to fax ( to a number that doesn't seem to work +33158686800) my confirmation to FB so they can start an investigation.

So how long do these investigations take and what is the possibility that i will be SOL.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Not an award, but I made a economy ticket booking on the Netherlands AF website and it said during the booking process that it would earn 100% miles. But when the booking was complete it showed in class L which is only 25% miles. Unfortunately I don't have a printout showing that it should be 100% miles, but do I have any chance of getting this fixed?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 4:54 pm

Just made a booking for MAN-YYZ-MAN in C x 2 for December.(well I thought I had) Lots of options available (AF/KL/CZA etc) but chose AF via CDG due to timings in the end.

Went all through the process with booking tool quoting 160k miles required and showing cabin as Business throughout.
Enter CC details for taxes and confirm it all and yes you guessed it.......

Confirmation now shows MAN-CDG & CDG-MAN legs in Business but CDG-YYZ-CDG is in ECONOMY !
This is also the case in Checkymytrip.

Have taken printouts of each stage and will call FB tomorrow and hope they can sort this out.

I thought this error would be fixed by now but alas seems not !

My advice is to avoid the bugged system entirely and call FB to book any tickets.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Airframe
Just made a booking for MAN-YYZ-MAN in C x 2 for December.(well I thought I had) Lots of options available (AF/KL/CZA etc) but chose AF via CDG due to timings in the end.

Went all through the process with booking tool quoting 160k miles required and showing cabin as Business throughout.
Enter CC details for taxes and confirm it all and yes you guessed it.......

Confirmation now shows MAN-CDG & CDG-MAN legs in Business but CDG-YYZ-CDG is in ECONOMY !
This is also the case in Checkymytrip.

Have taken printouts of each stage and will call FB tomorrow and hope they can sort this out.

I thought this error would be fixed by now but alas seems not !

My advice is to avoid the bugged system entirely and call FB to book any tickets.
Called FB and they lady I spoke to confirmed l/haul sectors booked into Y as no availability in C. She confirmed cost 160k. (60k for Euro Z1 - Euro Z1 in C x 2 & 100k for Eur Z1 - N.America in Y x 2). I informed that this was not what was booked and that I have printouts and screen shots. She agreed to cancel the booking without charge.

I questioned other airline availability that was showing on the web-site and she faster than lightning told me nothing available at all on the dates I required. At this point I hung up.

I called back 5 mins later got a really friendly agent who found availablity on KLM immediately on the same dates I requested earlier ! ^
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:41 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by Airframe
I questioned other airline availability that was showing on the web-site and she faster than lightning told me nothing available at all on the dates I required. At this point I hung up.

^
It is becoming all too common. I just spoke with the Canada agent about trying to get a flight on Malaysia Airlines from EWR to SYD. She insists no such flight exists. I had to ask her to check the route by sectors as it is two flights (ie: EWR-KUL and then KUL-SYD). She had no idea how to spell Kuala Lumpur or the city code. She then told me "it was not a valid routing". and then she said it was not possible as it was a code share. When I asked her which airline it was code shared with, she said KLM. I just gave up at that point. I guess I will use my miles to fly between Seattle and Detroit on NWA.

Such a great loss of a once great programme.

She also said that I cannot mix a KLM/Air France flight with a Malaysia Airlines or China Southern flight. Is this now true?
Old Oct 24, 2006, 4:50 am

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Platinum.
PDF Print Saves 130,000 award miles!!

I recently decided to redeem some of my award miles for a return flight from LBA (UK) to BKK (Thailand).

There was no award availability for a single connection via AMS, but LBA - AMS - CDG - BKK, was available at 110,000 miles for Business class.

I booked online, entered all the details, and did a PDF Print of the final confirmation screen showing Reservation Number, Flight Information, and the fact that 110,000 award miles would be redeemed for the flight.

Several days later I noticed that 240,000 miles had been deducted from my account for the open skies option.

I phoned the Flying Blue helpdesk, the nice lady I spoke to eventually provided her personal FB e-mail address, I e-mailed her the PDF, and my account was corrected in a few hours. ^

Thank goodness for my PDF print, it saved the day. I always do this for reservations, online Tax declarations etc.

I use "Primo PDF" to print, a free download from Primo PDF

On another note I am currently in the Philippines, I phoned the International number in France using "Skype", and it only cost me 1.2 pence (0.022 US Dollars per minute. The hold music "Only Making Plans for Nigel was quite bearable at that cost

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.