Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award booking issues on FB website

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by benberg2013
Looking to book flights from TLV to europe next week, searching for example TLV - Brussels, comes up as 12,500 miles and 23 euro via Moscow with Aeroflot. I click on "Next, fill in passenger details", then the miles amount jumps to 15,000?
Hmmm interesting, I see the same via Moscow, but no issues if I choose to connect in Rome or Bucharest for example.
I would try calling FB if I were you, and see what they say about it...
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: SK Gold (*G)
I'm looking to book BOG-MEX-AMS with Aeromexico in business class (No availability with KLM on my date, and I want to avoid AF A340). The flights show up segment by segment when I'm doing a search the Flying blue website, but not as a complete trip. So I called Flying blue and talked to an agent. The route was OK as expected but the taxes came to almost 600 Euros. On the website the two flights would not cost more than 100 Euros. I challenged this and the agent said there must be something wrong with the listed price on the website because 100 Euros would be impossible and 600 is quite realistic. I don't have any previous experience with Flying blue, but with my main program, Eurobonus, 100 Euros for those two flights is way more realistic than 600. I'm suspecting they made the calculations wrong (?). Needless to say I never booked the ticket.

Any thoughts?

Edit: It's a one-way trip FYI.

Last edited by Kajjan85; Mar 7, 2017 at 11:50 am
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kajjan85
I'm looking to book BOG-MEX-AMS with Aeromexico in business class (No availability with KLM on my date, and I want to avoid AF A340). The flights show up segment by segment when I'm doing a search the Flying blue website, but not as a complete trip. So I called Flying blue and talked to an agent. The route was OK as expected but the taxes came to almost 600 Euros. On the website the two flights would not cost more than 100 Euros. I challenged this and the agent said there must be something wrong with the listed price on the website because 100 Euros would be impossible and 600 is quite realistic. I don't have any previous experience with Flying blue, but with my main program, Eurobonus, 100 Euros for those two flights is way more realistic than 600. I'm suspecting they made the calculations wrong (?). Needless to say I never booked the ticket.

Any thoughts?

Edit: It's a one-way trip FYI.
If I am trying to book this award, and looking in a range of ~1 month, the cheapest taxes I see is 240€ with the direct KLM flight, and 260-270€ for the rest (AM/KL, AM/AF), I can't seem to get the website to quote AM/AM, either way - why not just fly direct BOG-AMS?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto
If I am trying to book this award, and looking in a range of ~1 month, the cheapest taxes I see is 240€ with the direct KLM flight, and 260-270€ for the rest (AM/KL, AM/AF), I can't seem to get the website to quote AM/AM, either way - why not just fly direct BOG-AMS?
There is no availability on my date BOG-AMS with KLM. And I don't want to spend that many miles on AF old business class. Aeromexico on the other hand operates MEX-AMS with a brand new 787-9 with 1-2-1 configuration which would be fun to try.

I'm aware that the taxes & fees for KLM/AF are usually in the 200-250 Euro range for long haul business. And those are the only ones that show up on this route unless you search segment by segment. If you search MEX-AMS with Aeromexico it's only about 50 Euro.

The taxes depends on what airlines it is, some airlines like CI for example has very low fees. I'm simply curious if anyone has booked Aeromexico with FB-points before and what the taxes & fees came to. That way I might find out whether the agent made the calculations wrong or not.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kajjan85
I'm aware that the taxes & fees for KLM/AF are usually in the 200-250 Euro range for long haul business. And those are the only ones that show up on this route unless you search segment by segment. If you search MEX-AMS with Aeromexico it's only about 50 Euro.
But searching segment by segment doesn't mean that the entire flight can be booked under the same conditions.
AM doesn't have a "Carrier Surcharge" which KL/AF does and hence the taxes are lower, you can always try and call again, and see what another agent tells you.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto
But searching segment by segment doesn't mean that the entire flight can be booked under the same conditions.
AM doesn't have a "Carrier Surcharge" which KL/AF does and hence the taxes are lower, you can always try and call again, and see what another agent tells you.
The routing was accepted for the same mileage price as BOG-AMS direct by the agent. Yes, I will try to call them again. My experience with agents calculating taxes on other mileage programs is that it can be a bit of a lottery...
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:35 am

For everyone's information regarding the Aeromexico award in J BOG-MEX-AMS. The 600+ euro pricing the first agent (and her supervisor) gave me was way off. I talked to a new agent today who really knew what he was doing... Total taxes came to about 70 euro for those segments, I don't remember the exact amount because I ended up booking a return trip with KLM on the way over there.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Does €300 sound correct for the carrier surcharge on a CDG-DLA-CDG award in business?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Does €300 sound correct for the carrier surcharge on a CDG-DLA-CDG award in business?
You can check yourself by trying to book a ticket online and have a look at the tax section in the various booking screen, it can be an award or a revenue ticket.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
yes it seems (no personal experience for this specific route, but knowing that I pay around €400-450 every time I book a long-haul award in J to Asia, US or Latam, I think it is "normal").
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SAS Gold , HH Diamond
One question I have (I hope it fits here) is the following:

An normal award Ticket Germany-SVO return in Eco (flights are operated by SU) costs 25.000 Miles (FlyingBlue) when booked via KLM/AF. Looking at the Aeroflot website the costs for their award ticket in Eco is exactly the same. Now when looking at a business ticket KLM wants 90.000 Miles reutrn. The same ticket at Aeroflot costs only 40.000. Where does this discrepancy come from? In my opinion its way to high. For that amount of miles I can get to America in Business.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by FaBSy
One question I have (I hope it fits here) is the following:

An normal award Ticket Germany-SVO return in Eco (flights are operated by SU) costs 25.000 Miles (FlyingBlue) when booked via KLM/AF. Looking at the Aeroflot website the costs for their award ticket in Eco is exactly the same. Now when looking at a business ticket KLM wants 90.000 Miles reutrn. The same ticket at Aeroflot costs only 40.000. Where does this discrepancy come from? In my opinion its way to high. For that amount of miles I can get to America in Business.
The discrepancy comes from comparing apples to oranges.
Award availability is different for different FFP, each airline will normally have more availability for its own FFP members than for other FFPs that they partner with.
On top of that, 1 FB miles doesn't equal 1 SU mile as milage accrual is different as well.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by FaBSy
Where does this discrepancy come from?
Flying Blue is not Aeroflot Bonus; while it can never be avoided that some incidental details align in both programmes, you cannot expect two different programmes to be identical in every aspect; if they were, they wouldn't be different programmes.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SAS Gold , HH Diamond
Well thanks for the replies. .

Last edited by FaBSy; Apr 7, 2017 at 6:21 am
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Redemption in C within Europe is 3-4x the price of Y when using flying blue. Given that European C is nothing to write home about, it does not make much sense, especially if you are Elite Plus with skypriority and lounge access even if flying Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.