Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Then I spotted options with VN and CI for a similar price range, which I thought would yield far more miles on FB. Alas, on CI it would appear that P-class would earn nothing and on VN L-class seems to be ineligible too. I think I remember it being L-class for the latter, but it seems that a lot of the classes on these airlines earn nothing. How do you deal with these anomalies? I was thinking about calling expedia and asking them to book the next eligible class up manually, but I am not sure what the class ladder order is. Really, this has always been a problem with FB, hasn't it? Any way around this class letter restriction?
The only war around it is to book a different class that does earn miles, that might require you to use a real travel agent, but do try with expedia and report back.
You don't necessarily need to know the "class ladder order", although this can easily be done by e.g. using ITA Matrix advanced search and choosing different fare class at a time, noting down the price, or alternatively expertflyer can show you all the fares for a specific route.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Ditto
It isn't very difficult if you already qualified as Gold or Plat, 300XP can be easily achievable for several thousand € of "normal" flying, for example last year:
1. CPT-CDG-TLV-AMS-CPT in J, about 2800€ gives 120XP
2. CPT-AMS-JFK r/t in Y, about 1000€ gives 44XP
3. AMS-NBO-CPT r/t in J for ~1600€ gives 108XP
Amex Gold another 30XP
Total 302XP, add some extra short-haul flights and this year I need even less to re-qualify.
Also all above flights are nothing exceptional price wise, I'm fairly sure it can be done for cheaper.
Yes it can. Several good Business class fares in Europe on AF with transfer in CDG, often around 400-450 EUR return. You could do things like Oslo-Paris-Milan or London-Paris-Vienna or Hamburg-Paris-Barcelona and so on... and for every return trip obtain 60XP. Do that five times. It will get you 300 XP at a cost of not more than 2,000 EUR )or double that if you start from scratch). It's quite surprising for how little money Plat can be obtained. If you those routes and availabilities match your travel plans. Or if you have time for mileage runs.

Last edited by San Gottardo; Mar 9, 2019 at 6:54 pm
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:33 pm

Is there a way to find out saver availability inventory for routes other than searching on AF website? Based on a few searches with different destinations, there should be some lowest price availability for my route of interest in PE but AF.us disagrees.
Similarly, can I call in to book an overnight transfer at CDG that's not showing up online (<24h), assuming there is availability?
EDIT: Anyone know what's Flying Blue's problem with CDG-BEG? It's supposed to start on 31/3/2019, and revenue flights are available for booking on af.com. However, no nonstop flight availability shows up for any date, even though Delta sees the award availability. I've tried single date and "around this date", but no nonstop availability no matter what.

Last edited by klanfa; Mar 16, 2019 at 10:09 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by klanfa
Is there a way to find out saver availability inventory for routes other than searching on AF website? Based on a few searches with different destinations, there should be some lowest price availability for my route of interest in PE but AF.us disagrees.
Similarly, can I call in to book an overnight transfer at CDG that's not showing up online (<24h), assuming there is availability?
EDIT: Anyone know what's Flying Blue's problem with CDG-BEG? It's supposed to start on 31/3/2019, and revenue flights are available for booking on af.com. However, no nonstop flight availability shows up for any date, even though Delta sees the award availability. I've tried single date and "around this date", but no nonstop availability no matter what.
No idea for CDG-BEG, but regarding the flight combination, I find the airline phone support very useful to achieve just that (please note I use the Plat line, so not sure how helpful the "regular" help desk would be). Twitter also quite good on this. In my case, I had to do a NBO-DXB-CDG flight with an overnight stay in DXB, and obviously AF would only show me either NBO-CDG direct or NBO-AMS-CDG. I found a part AF/part KQ flight through DXB on an OTA, called AF with the flight numbers and they were able to manage it, all on AF-issued ticket, at an even lower price than what what pushed on the OTA. My advice : give them a call or PM-them on twitter with what you are exactly looking for, and chances are they will find a way to make it work. Note that usually layovers up to 23:59 minutes can be sold, but I found quite hard to find more than that. Hope it helps
klanfa likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Can someone tell me if all those fares earn XP on Aeroflot if the flight is not listed as not eligible?:
  • ECONOMY SAVER - NVUA, NVUA
  • ECONOMY CLASSIC - NCLA, NCLA
  • ECONOMY FLEX - NFMA, NFMA
I know not al CZ fares were earning XP. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Does Flying Blue give XP relevant for Business Class or First Class on Delta Domestic, Transborder and Caribbean First Class which there is no product marketed as Business Class.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Does Flying Blue give XP relevant for Business Class or First Class on Delta Domestic, Transborder and Caribbean First Class which there is no product marketed as Business Class.
Thanks in advance.
Business Class. Delta may call it First Class in North America but it is Business Class for credit purposes. Delta domestic US flights will earn 6XP one way regardless of length, Canada 15XP and most if not all of the Caribbean 15XP.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Why you do not use the FB page: Menu> Earn and Spending Miles>Wirth Partners, and select the desired airline every time you want to match flights with Partners to see what classes are gaining?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
You have to credit with in the 6 Months period of flight.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
When does FB first release its award availability? Is it T -358? What time?
For example, with CX I know that it is T-352 at midnight HKG time or currently 9 AM PDT. Is there such a specific time/date for FB?
TIA
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Paulchili
When does FB first release its award availability? Is it T -358? What time?
For example, with CX I know that it is T-352 at midnight HKG time or currently 9 AM PDT. Is there such a specific time/date for FB?
TIA
All seats for sale are now available for awards for FB members. So I would say that awards are released when the seats are put on sale.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak

So I would say that awards are released when the seats are put on sale.
When exactly is that?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

When exactly is that?
I don’t know. 9 months, 12 months, more ?
why don’t you try on AF or KL websites ?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:32 pm

I am surprised that nobody here has the answer to what I believe must be a simple question for anyone who is a frequent flyer or elite with FB.
Over the years I had all my miles with AA and used them often with OW alliance partners. Most of these airlines release only a finite and very limited number of F or J awards - usually only 2 per flight. Thus it became very important to log in exactly when the airlines release their awards. I know the exact date and time to the minute when CX, JL and others release their awards. These are usually released by computer. By logging in at that exact time when they are released I could grab the only 2 F awards on JL, for example. Had I tried to do this a couple of hours later, chances are that those 2 F wards would belong to someone else. Ditto for CX, etc.
As I am trying to get AF/KLM awards on a Friday when they tend to go for higher mileage, I am trying to find out when exactly they are released so that I can get them at the lowest level before they go higher.
Does this make sense to anyone here or does FB operate under different rules?

Last edited by Paulchili; Apr 8, 2019 at 11:49 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:38 am

I am surprised that nobody here has the answer to what I believe must be a simple question for anyone who is a frequent flyer or elite with FB.
Over the years I had all my miles with AA and used them often with OW alliance partners. Most of these airlines release only a finite and very limited number of F or J awards - usually only 2 per flight. Thus it became very important to log in exactly when the airlines release their awards. I know the exact date and time to the minute when CX, JL and others release their awards. These are usually released by computer. By logging in at that exact time when they are released I could grab the only 2 F awards on JL, for example. Had I tried to do this a couple of hours later, chances are that those 2 F wards would belong to someone else. Ditto for CX, etc.
As I am trying to get AF/KLM awards on a Friday when they tend to go for higher mileage, I am trying to find out when exactly they are released so that I can get them at the lowest level before they go higher.
Does this make sense to anyone here or does FB operate under different rules?
Why don't you login to AF/KL website and check how far in advance you can book a ticket for? rinse and repeat during different times of day to see when the next day opens and report back here? For example now I can book ticket for April 2nd 2020.
As @Goldorak mentioned, AF/KL doesn't have "limited number" of seats anymore, and with dynamic pricing it's hard to say anything about costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.