Flying Blue FAQ

Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:37 am

Programs: BA.GGL/SK.D/AFKL.Ulti
Hi guys -

Recently had AF flights cancelled resulting in me not being able to fly another AF issued reservation.
Ground staff at CDG refused to rebook me onto KL metal and thus I was forced to purchase a new ticket home.

I have repeatedly spoken to the platinum line about recieving original routed credit, and drafed a very clear document outlining the situation and requested segments.

Until this point, once the plat line has referred my case to Flying Blue, I just recieve nonsensical responses that have nothing to do with my letter - always refusing 'reimbursement'.

Any tips on how to get through to actually getting the needed original sectors credited?

Thanks everyone
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you purchased a new ticket, then presumably you got the ticket tor the cancelled flight reimbursed and you cannot claim original route credit. ORC is only where you are re-routed, not when you do not fly at all and get the ticket (or portion of the ticket) refunded. Even if you decline the refund, if you did not fly for the portion of the itinerary concerned, then no ORC.

What I do find puzzling is that AF staff at CDG would not reroute you onto KL. I have never come across that. Why did they refuse to reroute you? Other than the KL flight being full in the class of travel you booked, I struggle to see why they would refuse to reroute you.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by NickB
What I do find puzzling is that AF staff at CDG would not reroute you onto KL. I have never come across that. Why did they refuse to reroute you? Other than the KL flight being full in the class of travel you booked, I struggle to see why they would refuse to reroute you.
+1. I am sure theres more in this story. There are certainly very good reasons for not having been rebooked on KL.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
+1. I am sure theres more in this story. There are certainly very good reasons for not having been rebooked on KL.
There actually isnt, which is surprising. I am putting it down to laziness on the part of the ground staff in CDG - spoke for an extended period even with their supervisor to be rebooked onto the KL operated flight to AMS, then on to KRK. Availability was not the issue - more their possible fear of the ticketing department - it was mentioned multiple times that the platinum line promises many things (in this case this rerouting).
I honestly have it pegged down to the luck of the draw in the staff I encountered.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:54 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by ohianjo
There actually isnt, which is surprising. I am putting it down to laziness on the part of the ground staff in CDG - spoke for an extended period even with their supervisor to be rebooked onto the KL operated flight to AMS, then on to KRK. Availability was not the issue - more their possible fear of the ticketing department - it was mentioned multiple times that the platinum line promises many things (in this case this rerouting).
I honestly have it pegged down to the luck of the draw in the staff I encountered.
The exact same thing happened to me a few months ago in AMS.
I was on a transit that turned out to be needlessly long because the first flight arrived earlier than planned. Plat line gave me "the green light" to go on the next AMS->CDG (KL operated) instead of my AF AMS->CDG hours later and told me to just go to the gate to have my BP printed. Sounds straightforward, right? Then I spent the next 20 minutes at the gate, watching gate agents fumbling on the computer and on the phone while unsuccessfully trying to "change companies" (!) for my ticket.
Boarding started, the whole 30 pax or so boarded, and gates closed under our watch.

It was a baffling incompetence show.
ohianjo and not2017 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by NickB
If you purchased a new ticket, then presumably you got the ticket tor the cancelled flight reimbursed and you cannot claim original route credit. ORC is only where you are re-routed, not when you do not fly at all and get the ticket (or portion of the ticket) refunded. Even if you decline the refund, if you did not fly for the portion of the itinerary concerned, then no ORC.

The interesting thing is that the plat line advised that I would be able to request original routing in this circumstance. You make very clear points re: reimbursement etc, but as always sometimes all it takes is one staff member to throw things off course.
not2017 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
hi all,
quick question that has been bugging me lately.
I flew CDG-AMS in biz, AF flight: 216 miles.
Then I flew JFK-BOS in first, DL flight: 750 miles.

The XP gained from the domestic DL flight is the correct one: 6xp (domestic biz) and is the same I'd get by flying domestic AF in biz. however the miles are significantly higher because they are based on the fare class and not on the money spent.

While the pandemic is ongoing, the XP bonus multiplier (2x now, 1.5x between jan and jun 2022) makes it far more interesting to fly AF/KL, especially when running for Platinum.
But once the multiplier will be gone, the XP gained will be the same regardless of the vector, but the miles gain will probably be higher on partner companies.
Hence my question: imagine I have to fly EU/US and the price is similar between DL and AFKL, the XP will be the same but the miles with DL (or any other partner really) will probably be way more. is there any reason I would buy an AFKL ticket instead of a partner's? Am I missing something?

thanks
straniero
not2017 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 4:17 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe for JV flights you would earn miles based on fare price.

If not though, then yes miles-wise you'll likely be slightly better off, yes.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe for JV flights you would earn miles based on fare price.
The JV flights are no exception to FB rules. If AFKL-coded, miles earning based on fare price; if partner-coded, based on fare class and distance.

Originally Posted by straniero
Hence my question: imagine I have to fly EU/US and the price is similar between DL and AFKL, the XP will be the same but the miles with DL (or any other partner really) will probably be way more. is there any reason I would buy an AFKL ticket instead of a partner's? Am I missing something?
It depends and you need to make a quick check before booking. But it is indeed sometimes more interesting to book under DL code for miles earning.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
ty CyBeR Goldorak for your comments!
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
For spend-based earning programs, it's generally better to use partner earning (e.g. fly DL-coded and credit to AFKL) on discounted tickets and regular earning (e.g. AFKL-coded and -credited) for full-price.

DL RDU-DTW-BOS in F (I booking class $227 base fare) earns (no-status):

1700ish FB miles (and 12% of the way to ST Elite) vs.
1135 DL miles (and 13% of the way to ST Elite with accelerators)

​​​​​​Conversely, crediting CDG-AMS to DL is 1000 DL miles in business class.

Edit to add: this is most especially so when paying for premium cabins: if always flying Y, there's a case that partner-crediting is giving up too much.
not2017 and straniero like this.

Last edited by hhdl; Dec 5, 2021 at 9:44 am
Old Dec 12, 2021, 4:41 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, KL Gold
+--[ https://www.flyingblue.us/en/faq/cat...ll-about-miles ]
|
| All your Miles are valid for life as long as you take an eligible flight on Air France,
| KLM, Aircalin, Kenya Airways, TAROM or other airline partners at least once every
| 2 years, or if you're an Elite or Elite Plus member, or if you make a purchase with an
| eligible co-branded credit card at least once every 2 years. These "Overall extending
| activities" extend the validity of all Miles 2 years from the date of the activity.
|
+--

For clarification; Do I interpret above lines correctly that miles for an Elite expire no earlier than 2 years after loss of status or are they going to expire at the time of loss of status if there was no flight activity in the previous two years?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
On one of my booking, I have been downgraded from I class to W class on a DTW-YUL (DL coded flight) due to aircraft change and the new aircraft does not offer first class anymore.
In this case, do one get 15xp because the whole ticket is in I class (CDG-DTW-YUL) or only 5xp on this leg because the booking class of this leg is W ?

Would i have any chance to be rebooked on direct flight because of the downgrade ? I dont want to bother with connection/test etc for only 5xp !
Old Dec 21, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
You can always request original routing credit for involuntary changes.

I think you have a case to get on a direct flight, but that's not a Flying Blue question.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Question....I booked flights on AF, transferred Chase points to complete the booking. If the amount of miles(points) on my flight is changed, reduced, does AF refund the miles?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.