Flying Blue FAQ

Old May 8, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by FaBSy
I do have another question on FlyingBlue. As I am relatively new to this programm I would really like to know if there were special miles "events" in the past?
Reading some other airlines forum they sometimes have special offers for double miles or even x4 miles on flights. As I am still looking for some miles runs which lead a better ratio then just buying the miles (with the 50% bonus event), I think that would be only possible if there is ever any x2 miles event.
FB does has that kind of bonus miles events, but they are becoming very very rare. Nowadays the kind of X2 or X3 offers only concern new routes when they start them. So I would say, do not count on that with FB.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Wow Irishguy28, if ever they will open a Flying Blue museum, I will nominate you as Director
Old May 8, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SAS Gold , HH Diamond
Thank you for the input.
But that really looks kind of sad
I was really hoping to make any kind of "brilliant" flight to make a lot of miles with FB.
Air Berlin did have an x8 miles event not so long ago. Unfortunately I missed it.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Air Berlin did have an x8 miles event not so long ago. Unfortunately I missed it.
Not sure you have to regret anything as AB might go to bankruptcy one day or another, soon or might disappear so AB miles may have zero value soon.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA, BR, WN /Hyatt Dis/SPG Gold/ HH Gold
Question on AF Upgrade Award

I am new to the Flying Blue / AF miles.

I booked PE ticket (A fare) SFO- CDG for September 2017. I have enough miles (from CC) to get award O in J cabin both ways.

Called AF/Flyingblue agent and was told that there is nothing open at this time. I should call in everyday to see award opened up. Is this necessary?

How early does AF open up their award upgrade for using miles? I am completely new at this....(*A usually only open T-3 to -2 weeks prior.)

BTW, based on the AF website, this is the BEST J arrangement 1-2-1 (not the old 2-4-2 NEV4). Can anyone flied this leg confirm?

Thank you!
Old May 8, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by darthmong
Called AF/Flyingblue agent and was told that there is nothing open at this time. I should call in everyday to see award opened up. Is this necessary?
No. You can check availability online.
If there is nothing from SFO, check other west coast cities like LAX or YVR. Even IAH.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:12 pm

Thank you.
It is kinda late to switch from SFO to others. I booked PE already.
AF website did not show anything at this time....will award eventually opens up?
Old May 8, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by darthmong
Thank you.
It is kinda late to switch from SFO to others. I booked PE already.
AF website did not show anything at this time....will award eventually opens up?
Why is it too late? It only costs a $55 change fee.

No one can predict availability 3 or 4 months down the road. However, award seats typically depend on inventory. If AF doesn't sell seats according to some revenue management algorithm, they will release more seats. If they do sell seats, they won't release any more. You need to be flexible and you are not being flexible by saying "I will only depart from SFO". The SFO-CDG A380 is a crappy plane for Business Class anyway.

If you don't want to check everyday, for $95 a year, you can subscribe to expertflyer.com and set an alert that will email you when award seats are available.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:02 pm

Thank you for the suggestion.
Expertfly sounds good. I need to upgrade my account to basic.
BTW, since it is a fare A ticket, it is about $350 to change the departing airport. The currently display of AF 085 is B772 with 1-2-1 new J product.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Thank you for the input.
But that really looks kind of sad
I was really hoping to make any kind of "brilliant" flight to make a lot of miles with FB.
You are completely looking at things the wrong way. Flitting from one programme to another on the basis of temporary promotions is behaviour that the airlines will love, but which does you no favours.

Air Berlin and AFKL have almost no partners in common. That means you would have to completely alter your booking/flying behaviour when switching from Air Berlin to Air France/KLM - there is no overlap between the two. To say that "I would go with Flying Blue if they had an offer, and I wish I had gone with Air Berlin but only while they had a promotion" means that you are completely changing your behaviour on the say-so of the airlines. A smart frequent flyer bends the rules of the programme to their needs - not jumping to the airlines' tunes.

You need to commit to a frequent flyer programme - or one from each of the alliances - and stick with it. You need to choose with care, based on your own constraints - your travel patterns, your goals, etc. You need to look past these temporary promotions, and take the big picture into account - picking the "best" programme for you - for the long term, not on the basis of any promotion lasting a few weeks or months.

If, instead, you open accounts constantly to benefit from "promotions", then you are diluting your travel down to tiny amounts in a large number of pots - and you will never fill any of those pots up to a level where you can do something worthwhile.

You might think that you are "playing" the system by only showing up for these "extra payment" promotions. But, in fact, you are being played by the airlines in question.

Last edited by irishguy28; May 9, 2017 at 2:25 am
Old May 9, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You need to commit to a frequent flyer programme - or one from each of the alliances - and stick with it. You need to choose with care, based on your own constraints - your travel patterns, your goals, etc. You need to look past these temporary promotions, and take the big picture into account - picking the "best" programme for you - for the long term, not on the basis of any promotion lasting a few weeks or months.
You may have a point there. But there is always more then one way to get to your destinations.
I chose FB for example mostly because of the low requirements for elite/elite+. Regarding other promotions of different programs now.
In case I would have gotten that x8 promotion I could have saved atleast a thousand euros on my upcoming flights.
I see that there is no reason to switch programs frequently, as I would have no intention to get a status elsewhere.
But why not take the best of other programms if you therefore can save some money?
Old May 9, 2017, 1:20 pm

And in addtion to that I am gold soon but still sooo confused about which lounges I can use. Let's say SVO for example. The Skyteam website shows several skyteam lounges. The airfrance website only 1.
At other airports the AF/KLM website shows no lounge, but there are Skyteam lounges ( I guess for other skyteam airlines), but noone from FB could give me an answer I can use them aswell (given that the skyteam requirements are fullfilled)
Old May 9, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

And in addtion to that I am gold soon but still sooo confused about which lounges I can use. Let's say SVO for example. The Skyteam website shows several skyteam lounges. The airfrance website only 1.
At other airports the AF/KLM website shows no lounge, but there are Skyteam lounges ( I guess for other skyteam airlines), but noone from FB could give me an answer I can use them aswell (given that the skyteam requirements are fullfilled)
Because it depends which airline you fly. SVO being a Skyteam hub with several terminals, it is normal that Skyteam website is listing several lounges. If you fly AF, they use the Space lounge in Term E.

For AF lounges, you'd better trust this thread than the info on AF website.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...er-thread.html
Old May 9, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
The postal address in my FB account is still my French one (no way for FB to send me anything here) but if I were to relocate in a civilized country, say the US, in the next couple of months, would I be able to benefit (providing I inform FB about this of course) from the discount miles requirements (70k to reach Plat) this year? Or am I stuck with the 90k requirement for this year whatever happens?
Old May 10, 2017, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
In case I would have gotten that x8 promotion I could have saved atleast a thousand euros on my upcoming flights.

But why not take the best of other programms if you therefore can save some money?
To get 8 times the miles, you would have had to book business class.

If you would have "saved at least a thousand euros on my upcoming flights", then you would have had to have bought at least one (maybe more) longhaul AB business class ticket to get sufficient miles (or many multiples of Aer Berlin short/midhaul "business" tickets).

So you would have had to spend well over a thousand euros to buy the (otherwise unnecessary?) requisite business class flights in order to "save at least a thousand".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.