Flying Blue FAQ

Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by Caloy
What is middle haul, and the difference between it and long haul?
"Middle" haul is shorthaul, i.e. within Europe plus to North Africa and the Levant (e.g. BEY, DAM etc).
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:04 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Upgrade with miles?

Hi all - apologies if this is a super obvious question, but I haven't been able to find the answer on the Flying Blue site, or in this very useful thread.

I have a meagre amount of miles in my FB account (with lowly Ivory status) which are going to expire in the next 4 months or so (in line with the 20 months rule) - is there anyway I can use those miles to upgrade when booking (in the same way that it is possible to do this on BA and bmi?). The only way I can see that I can spend miles at the moment is on award flights, and I don't have enough miles for that.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Old Dec 31, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by daftboy
Hi all - apologies if this is a super obvious question, but I haven't been able to find the answer on the Flying Blue site, or in this very useful thread.

I have a meagre amount of miles in my FB account (with lowly Ivory status) which are going to expire in the next 4 months or so (in line with the 20 months rule) - is there anyway I can use those miles to upgrade when booking (in the same way that it is possible to do this on BA and bmi?). The only way I can see that I can spend miles at the moment is on award flights, and I don't have enough miles for that.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
You haven't indicated your location, but looking at your program memberships I am assuming the UK. I would instead take a cheap flight to the continent. KL have some good offers every now and then or AF have some good offers. If you want the cheapest then a quick hop from LHR/LCY to CDG or AMS will be your cheapest. Or there are other good offers usually out of LCY to Swiss destinations that I have used. If you take another flight your miles will not expire for another 20 months. You could always make a weekend of it, Paris and Amsterdam are both very good city-break destinations with lots to see. Maybe take a special someone with you, or you could just go for a one day turnaround (maybe have lunch in Amsterdam or Paris), which would save you any hotel costs.

Last edited by TuxTraveller; Dec 31, 2008 at 8:10 am
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:35 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thanks for the advice, I had thought of doing that after I posted my question - any excuse to jump on a plane is fine by me! Off to the continent I go again then...
Old Jan 25, 2009, 3:18 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
open jaw in award: which zones?

I could not find this in this forum, perhaps someone knows...
Here is what I can find on AFKL website:

Code:
    * Arriving in one city and leaving from another

Your Award ticket allows you to arrive in one city and come back from another. This is known as an "open jaw" flight:
For example, you are entitled to an "open jaw" on Nice-Paris-Amsterdam and London-Paris-Nice, but you are not entitled to a double "open jaw" on Amsterdam-Paris-New York (outward) and Atlanta-Paris-London (return).
I seem to remember that there were some restrictions for the open jaw A-B//C-A. Is it that B and C must be in the same zone or that the AB and BC require the same amount of miles? Does anyone know which rules apply for open jaw?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: FB Elite Plus, LH lowest
Open jaw award

AFKL has solved this problem for you by providing a list of airports ('C') from which you are allowed to return after you have selected A-B. This list is exhaustive, i.e., you cannot make a choice outside it. I have no idea what the underlying principle is.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:57 am

Can i ask you for what award booking code should I looking for if I want to use my AF miles for economy ticket operate with Alaska Airlines.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
FB Newbie Question: Earning miles b4 1APR09.

FB Newbie here... can anyone tell me if FB has a minimum miles for Business Class? The website says a minimum of 750 miles for 'international'.

My 1st routing is ICN-HKG on KE in F class, and then the 2nd routing is HAM-AMS-LCY on KLM "Z" class.

Would the KE earn 300% of miles, and is my Gold Elite bonus 75% of the base miles or 75% of the total miles? Similarly, does the KLM route earn 750 minimum miles x 2 for Business Class, and then 75% elite bonus based on 750 miles or 1500 miles?

Sorry. This is my first time doing FB having just recently transferred over from NW WP.

Thank you.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
FB Newbie here... can anyone tell me if FB has a minimum miles for Business Class? The website says a minimum of 750 miles for 'international'.

My 1st routing is ICN-HKG on KE in F class, and then the 2nd routing is HAM-AMS-LCY on KLM "Z" class.

Would the KE earn 300% of miles, and is my Gold Elite bonus 75% of the base miles or 75% of the total miles? Similarly, does the KLM route earn 750 minimum miles x 2 for Business Class, and then 75% elite bonus based on 750 miles or 1500 miles?

Sorry. This is my first time doing FB having just recently transferred over from NW WP.

Thank you.
bad choice moving over from WP

minimum is 750 miles x COS bonus (depends on fare class and carrier). 75% Elite bonus is calculated on base miles only, so 750 min. or actual miles x 0.75
Old Feb 27, 2009, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by tatranka
Can i ask you for what award booking code should I looking for if I want to use my AF miles for economy ticket operate with Alaska Airlines.
Alaska Airlines uses award code "W" for their economy class flights.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, HH Silver, Amex Plat
what is the class code in business class for Flex awards?
I was under the impression that Flex Awards were regular C seats, but the fact that I can't find any seats using the AF website to book a flight LAX - CDG in Dec 09 makes me think differently.
Thanks

Last edited by bmanu; Mar 12, 2009 at 3:18 pm
Old Mar 13, 2009, 3:52 am

Programs: FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by bmanu
what is the class code in business class for Flex awards?
I was under the impression that Flex Awards were regular C seats, but the fact that I can't find any seats using the AF website to book a flight LAX - CDG in Dec 09 makes me think differently.
Thanks
Always C for long-haul flight but only possible for Elite members.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ROMEO
I dont think that it is true. Flex awards in C are available for all pax. But look at the previous sticky regarding what is happening after Oct 25 2009.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by brunos
Flex awards in C are available for all pax.
When I try to redeem, I see the message that flex awards are available only to elite members.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:45 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by ROMEO
Correct.

Originally Posted by Roger
When I try to redeem, I see the message that flex awards are available only to elite members.
Correct.

Originally Posted by brunos
I dont think that it is true. Flex awards in C are available for all pax. But look at the previous sticky regarding what is happening after Oct 25 2009.
Unfortunately: not correct. You have to be elite for business class flex awards.

AFAIK this changed about a year ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.