Flying Blue FAQ

Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by zoenkie_25
is there any way to upgrade using AS miles?
Possible ?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: LX HON, Radisson Platinum, Hilton Gold
Matrix of Fares, Upgrades and Awards?

Hey FBFTler

I was wondering if there was a kind of a MAtrix out there somehwere, where the usual information are in (how many %-Miles in which class) but also Information as for whicht Class is an Award-Class and which Classes can be upgraded, using Miles.
Yesterday I, for example, found out, that AF only upgrades J, C and D to First Class, but not Z-Class....
Old Jul 17, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
I have a very simple question. Do you get status miles by flying with SkyTeam members? Cos, here is my problem:

Im from Bulgaria, but I study in NY. Until now Ive been flying with KLM, but im thinking of changing to AF, since KLM does not code-share with the BG carrier that ships me from SOF to AMS, but AF code-shares through CDG. So, I will be earning more miles, but still nowhere near enough miles or segments to go into Silver, and there is no point in having the card if I dont get a normal status, right?

If, I can get status miles with SkyTeam alliance members, then I can really jack my miles up, cos i planned I mileage run in march from EWR to LAX via 4 other airports for 254$. that will give me about 15000 miles to and fro for about 500$. Also, for early april im going to LHR from JFK but through IAD, which will also jack my miles up. But, this will only work if I can get status miles on CO, or UA or Delta.

So, to th epoint, do you get status miles with ST members or not? And, Im asking cos the FAQ says yes, but the KL website says only award miles... Go figure...
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:20 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by xOtakuGaijinx
I have a very simple question. Do you get status miles by flying with SkyTeam members? Cos, here is my problem:

Im from Bulgaria, but I study in NY. Until now Ive been flying with KLM, but im thinking of changing to AF, since KLM does not code-share with the BG carrier that ships me from SOF to AMS, but AF code-shares through CDG.
You do get level/status miles flying on Sky Team-operated flights (AF, KL, DL, NW, CO, SU, AZ, OK, etc). However, no Bulgarian airline is a ST member so you will only get level miles if that particular flight is booked under an AF or KL code.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You are of course aware the cheaper KL and AF fares, as well as NW V fares, only give 25% miles?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 3:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
You are of course aware the cheaper KL and AF fares, as well as NW V fares, only give 25% miles?
Yes, of course. But, intercontinental flights are always at 100%, at least thats my experience with KL.

Originally Posted by apoivre
You do get level/status miles flying on Sky Team-operated flights (AF, KL, DL, NW, CO, SU, AZ, OK, etc). However, no Bulgarian airline is a ST member so you will only get level miles if that particular flight is booked under an AF or KL code.
FB (Bulgaria Air) code-shares with AF for that particulat flight. Thanks for the clear answer.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel
To the best of my knowledge they do not. I have never been upgraded on KQ, nor have I ever noticed any obviously upgraded pax when flying in C. I have on occasion shared the C cabin with only three or four pax, whilst Y was more or less full.

Johan
I have been upgraded on KQ a few times, usually IIRC the NBO-JNB stretch.
And yes one of my flights they were upgrading on board virtually on request after a major operation delay. I did complain about this amongst things, and while I did not get a satisfactory answer/resolution, I did get a prompt 1, and a $150 cash payment to my CC.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:12 pm
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
Yes, of course. But, intercontinental flights are always at 100%, at least thats my experience with KL.

FB (Bulgaria Air) code-shares with AF for that particulat flight. Thanks for the clear answer.
Not necessarily true since the cheapest KL transatlantic flights book into V. That's only 25% of the miles.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:30 am

Programs: AF/KL silver, Sixt Plat., BMI *G, Northwest Gold, Iberia nothing, Spanair Blue
New FB Rules as of end of June

Are UX flights earning status (miles and segments)? Does anyone flew them (Air Europa) inside Spain since late June 2007 and have their statement counting their miles and segments towards elite status?

I'd like to know 'cause I now work from Madrid and this could be great on their low cost kangaroo routes (2 stops to go to Paris!).
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: FB Ivory, BD Silver, BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, Goldpoints plus Silver
Could you please add a section about :
UPGRADES
eg on Air france:
which classes can be upgraded to business (can K or H be upgraded?)
which classes can be upgraded to first (Z cant be )
That would be so useful as it is not easily available (if it is)

Info for KLM would be great too.

AWARD TICKETS
Also add for AF and KLM, which classes the award tickets are booked into (O for economy business on AF, A for first?) I m never sure
And add a link to www.seatcounter.com so that people can check availability on real times.
Are more tickets released closer to departure?

Thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by Richelieu
I take the hint

This document may help those looking for information about AF/KLM loyalty
program, as not all information is in the same place. It is not
complete yet and may be inaccurate. Please PM me with suggestion to improve this FAQ.

As there have been several differences between the published benefits and the witnessed benefits by FT members, here is the colour code I adopted. In black in UNCONFIRMED information, published on KLM or AF websites. In green is information confirmed on this board by a FT member. In red are benefits either not available at all or often denied, according to FTers' reports.

1. Program levels

FB has 4 levels:
  • Ivory, the basic entry level.
  • Silver, reached at 30,000 status miles for France-based members, and 25,000 for others, or 15 qualifying segments.
  • Gold level, reached at 60,000 status miles for French-based members, and 40,000 for others, or 30 qualifying segments.
  • Platinum level, reached at 90,000 for France-based members and 70,000 for others, or 60 qualifying segments.

Segment are qualifying unless you live in France, in which case French domestic flights are excluded.

2. Elite benefits

A. Ivory members

None. What did you think?

B. Silver members
  • Elite bonus of 50% of mileage flown
  • Dedicated phone line
  • Guaranteed seating in international flights booked 7 days in advance in full fare economy, on business days.
  • Priority seating
  • Priority boarding
  • Priority on waitlist
  • 5 kg of extra luggage
  • Access to dedicated check-in counters where available
  • Skyteam Elite status
  • Extra inventory when booking awards (X for Ivory, X and W for elites)

C. Gold members

Same benefits as above, plus:
  • Skyteam Elite Plus status except for US-based members, who are Elite ST, but treated as Gold members on AF/KLM flights/hub
  • The elite bonus is 75%
  • The guaranteed seat can be booked 24h in advance
  • The extra luggage allowance is 10 kg
  • Priority luggage delivery
  • Access to lounges with one guest when flying a Skyteam flight
    Free Internet access in lounges has been denied so far at AMS.

D. Platinum members

Same benefits as above, plus:
  • Everyone is now a ST Elite Plus
  • The elite bonus is 100%
  • The extra luggage allowance is 20 kg
  • Status miles are reported on the next year if you earn more than 115,000 in a year, or 150,000 if you're based in France
  • Holding Platinum status for 10 years earn a lifetime Platinum status.

The two last levels also gives various upgrades with hotel chains (good if available), and "free membership" with their loyalty programs (most of which are free or given to anyone who cares to join). Interesting to note:
  • Upgrade at Sofitel, Radisson, NH
  • [color=red]Intercontinental Ambassador (~ 150 dollars value)[color=red]
  • Meridien Moments Gold
  • 15% rebate at Hertz, with upgrade if avalaible
  • Upgrade at Sixt if available

Note that at the moment, ICC is denying this benefit, and Meridien Moments is not telling. Error on their part or false advertising on FB's part, who knows, maybe it will be sorted soon...

2. How to get status miles?

Flying AF/KLM, Skyteam members and Kenya Airways give status miles, depending on distance flown and class of service. Flying other partners only gives miles counting toward award redemption but not status.

You also get status miles when paying with the AF American Express card, which must be linked, so far, with an Euro account based in France. The rate is 1.4 mile per euro spent with AF/KLM (including servair (duty free both onboard and in airports), as far as I could compute) and 1 mile per euro elsewhere.

Finally, you get 2,500 status miles when subscribing to an Abonnement card with AF, and 5,000 status miles when resubscribing. This card gives discount on full-fare domestic tickets in France, or discount on tickets on the COI (Carribean and Indian Ocean) AF routes, or both (in which case you get both miles).

3. Mileage earning with AF

A. Domestic short-haul flights

1,000 status miles in Y (full-fare economy and Abonnement)
500 status miles in W, E, A (discounted economy)
250 status miles in other fare codes.
N fare is reported not to get miles. X was reported as well, but it's not a published fare, it's an award fare...

B. European flights

The minimum mileage is 750 miles per segment. COS bonus is applied after the minimum mileage

According to the AF charts, you get 100% of mileage flown in any Economy fare, and 200% in Tempo Challenge (premium economy) and Affaires (Business), irrespective of the fare. Contradictory information have been presented, and confirmed by FTers based on actual credits, that you earn only 25% in N, and 50% in G and U. This information is still unconfirmed at this time.

C. Long-haul flights

Same as European flights, except the earnings are 150% for Alize (premium Economy on COI routes) and Affaires, and 300% in Premire (First).

4. Mileage earning with other Skyteam members

The minimum mileage is 750. Usually, you earn 100% in Economy and 150% in Business, with the following exceptions:
  • Aeromexico U and M fares are excluded, and travel from July 15th to August 15th, and December 15th to January 15th
  • Continental E, EG, P, G, M and YN fares are excluded
  • Alitalia gives a flat eanring of 500 miles in Economy and 1,000 in Business class for domestic flights. U and Z class are excluded, as well as flight AZ900-950 and AZ3xxx and AZ6xxx
  • CSA E, Z, S, I, U, W and G fares are excluded
  • DL N, O and R fares are excluded
  • NW and Kenya Airways D and W fares are excluded, V only earns 25%, and free upgrades for elites
  • KE gives 150% for First class, according to AF's website, and 300% according to KLM's. Mileage is restricted to First and Business class, and Z, W, Y and S economy fares. Exclusion dates of the Morning Calm program are applicable to mileage accrual in FB.

5. Mileage earning with airlines partners

The AF charts says that some fares may not be eligible for mileage earnings with partners. In any case, it's not status miles.

The standard rule is 100% in Economy, 150% for Business, and a minimum of 750 miles. This applies to:
  • Air Alps, except that W, N, G and V fares are excluded
  • Air Europa only in C, D, R, Y, M, B, K, W, X, O, U, V fares
  • Air Calin, except between Wallis and Futuna
  • Alaska Airlines
  • Comair, except you only earn on South African domestic routes and X and U fares are excluded
  • Horizon Air
  • Avianca
  • China Southern, except between France and China, and only in A, C, D, F, Y and W fares
  • City Jet, except you only earn between Dublin and Malaga
  • Global Pass
  • Jet Airways for domestic flights, except between Jodhpur and Delhi and only in A, C, G, I, L, M, P, Q, S, T, U, V, Y, Z fares.
  • Kenya Airways, except your miles are status miles
  • Malaysian Airlines, except you also earn 300% in First, and you can earn only in A, B, C, D, F, H, K, M, Q, and Y fares. There are black-out dates, and you can't earn between Tawau and Tarakan, on domestic flights, and between Kuala Lumpur and France, Switzerland and Italy... an incentive to promote AMS, I suppose
  • Malev, except on V and Z fares
  • Maersk, except you only earn between Paris, Amsterdam, Aalborg and Billund, and not in I, R, X and N fares
  • MEA
  • TAAG, except you only gain miles between Paris and Luanda, and you earn 300% in First
  • TAM, except you earn 200% in First, or 300% according to KLM website
  • Ukraine International, except in A, E, G, I, O, U and X fares
  • JAL offers conflicting information. 70% in Economy according to AF, 70% in Eco, 150% in Business and 300% in F according to KLM. I suppose AF only lacked the information about the front of the plane. There are a complex list of excluded dates, though, Caveat emptor! I guessed it's related to holidays in Asia...

The exceptions are the following airlines:
  • Airlinair and Twin Jet, who offers set amounts of miles and operates only a few lines
  • CCM, who'll probably use the same chart as AF's for domestic flights and fares based on what was done previously. To be confirmed.

7. Other earning opportunities.

8. Award redemption

Too bad, too much work, but I'll get back to updating the FAQ soon.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
deleted
Old Oct 2, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: thai, virgin, emirates, priority club
Originally Posted by PJK
Not necessarily true since the cheapest KL transatlantic flights book into V. That's only 25% of the miles.
on KL, does class T earn 100% or 25% for a european flight plus transatlantic connection?

ian.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 4:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, KLM, SWA
Are you sure? I'm avoiding KLM on international/intercontinental flights specifically becasue of that.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 5:37 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by james968
Are you sure? I'm avoiding KLM on international/intercontinental flights specifically becasue of that.
James,

xOtakuGaijinx's statement is incorrect. V class on KL transatlantic earns you 25% of the miles (I know, I just did ...).

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Nov 1, 2007, 9:48 am

Lifetime Platinum

It appears on my FB account that I'm platinum since June 04 2005. I was F+ red for many years before, but I cannot find the exact date when I achieved the Red status.
Anybody knows where I may find this information? Do I have to ask to FB guys?
Thanks for any hint

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.