Flying Blue FAQ

Old Oct 3, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: flying blue
kinda useless thing, but since I downloaded the new app I can't add my flying blue card to my apple wallet?
Clicking on "Add to Apple Wallet" doesn't do anything, the card (ugly new design, btw...) just doesn't appear.

did anyone experience the same thing?
Old Oct 3, 2023, 11:27 am

Hello, I've been around Flyertalk for decades but new to AF Flying Blue. I reached Platinum on 2023-09-28 and it shows I have until 2024-09-30 to requalify for Platinum. I already have 4XP and will receive 72XP for my round trip Brazil - France along with the SAF bonus XP I paid for of 254XP. My question for the experts here of Flying Blue is I will have more than the 300XP points so I will have qualified for Platinum status again. Does my qualifying date reset again like it did when I went from no status to Silver and again when I went from Silver to Gold and finally from Gold to Platinum? Or does it simply mean I already requalified and my status year will always finish last day of September. The second question is do the additional XP's that I accure bank for the next years? So for example I will again receive 60XP points for my French Amex AF Flying Blue Platinum card and I am thinking of applying for the Bank of America World Elite Mastercard AF Flying Blue which would also give me 60XP per year. If the points above and beyond roll over for how many years do they? Also I understand that Platinum is the normal highest tier outside of Platinum Ultimate correct or is there anything between Platinum and Platinum Ultimate? I believe that for Platinum Ultimate SAF bonus and credit card XP bonus don't count towards this status correct? Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
As a Platinum, the only way your membership year ends early is if you somehow got kicked out of the program. So unless you come back up again after dropping down, September 30 will be the end of your elite year.

The XP over 300 will roll over to the next year. As it stands now, there's no limit to how many (by extension, how long) XP will roll over, depending on AFKL keeping the same structure (e.g. no Diamond tier.

SAF gets UXP, credit cards don't.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl
As a Platinum, the only way your membership year ends early is if you somehow got kicked out of the program. So unless you come back up again after dropping down, September 30 will be the end of your elite year.

The XP over 300 will roll over to the next year. As it stands now, there's no limit to how many (by extension, how long) XP will roll over, depending on AFKL keeping the same structure (e.g. no Diamond tier.

SAF gets UXP, credit cards don't.
So my understanding is another 2,700XP plus the 300XP i have for reaching Platinum would grant me Lifetime Platinum under the current rules and if they don't change, I'd just have to wait until 2032 for the official status since it's 10 contiguous years of FB Platinum. Each year 300XP would de redeemed and another year of Platinum earned until I hit the 10th year and then it's for life. Of course none of the requires would change in this scenario for this to occur.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by AAdmiral
So my understanding is another 2,700XP plus the 300XP i have for reaching Platinum would grant me Lifetime Platinum under the current rules and if they don't change, I'd just have to wait until 2032 for the official status since it's 10 contiguous years of FB Platinum. Each year 300XP would de redeemed and another year of Platinum earned until I hit the 10th year and then it's for life. Of course none of the requires would change in this scenario for this to occur.
That's correct. It probably isn't worth thinking about LTPlat until you're 5 years in (I just made Platinum myself and won't think about lifetime for at least that long), a lot can change in your situation or the program in the best part of a decade. If AFKL feels there's too much coasting on rollover, they could introduce a 500 XP Diamond level with marginally better benefits than Platinum, for instance: 1200 XP go from 4 years of Platinum to 2 years of Diamond and a third year of Platinum.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 1:35 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
That's correct. It probably isn't worth thinking about LTPlat until you're 5 years in (I just made Platinum myself and won't think about lifetime for at least that long), a lot can change in your situation or the program in the best part of a decade. If AFKL feels there's too much coasting on rollover, they could introduce a 500 XP Diamond level with marginally better benefits than Platinum, for instance: 1200 XP go from 4 years of Platinum to 2 years of Diamond and a third year of Platinum.
I agree (mostly) - I requalified for my 3rd year earlier this year (reached 300XP in april, starts Jan 1st, 2024) and am close to reaching 600 XP (will do so before the end of the november), for 2025. I'm considering this my "buffer", for if something would happen in my personal life which would prevent me from flying a lot any given year.

I'm not actively trying to get to the remaining 1800 XP needed to get to 10 years right away, but when you're not flying enough to get any meaningful status in more than 1 alliance, it's still something to think about, even when going for your first year platinum. You're basically committing yourself to an airline alliance for 10 years if you want to go for lifetime status. And since you also do need to take into account FFPs can change, it's a decision you probably shouldn't take lightly.

I'm going to try to keep at least a year's worth of platinum in my account to roll-over every year, so that if something happens, my status is "safe". Which also means that, for the first time since 2021, I don't have to worry about flying non-Skyteam airlines and still keeping my status (did some SAS trips this year, sadly, which perhaps in a not-too-distant future will also be earning flights for FB and had some flights with Norwegian).
Maestro Ramen and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 1:08 pm

I agree with getting at least a 300XP buffer if the current rules apply it's a great way to insure status for a year if anything happens. AF - FLM Flying Blue credit cards help with the XP and towards the long term goal of Lifetime Platinum. I currently have the French issued AF - KLM Platinum Amex which gives 60 XP per year and will probably apply for the Bank of America AF - KLM World Elite Mastercard which earns up to another 60 XP per year for a total between the two cards for 120 XP per year making the remaining 180 XP a lot easier to earn towards the 300 XP per year.
the phoenix likes this.

Last edited by AAdmiral; Oct 5, 2023 at 1:24 pm
Old Oct 7, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by AAdmiral
the Bank of America AF - KLM World Elite Mastercard which earns up to another 60 XP per year for a total between the two cards for 120 XP per year making the remaining 180 XP a lot easier to earn towards the 300 XP per year.
You probably already know this, but just highlighting that with the BofA credit card, 60 XP are granted every year if you spend a minimum of $15,000 on that card. Otherwise it's 20 XP upon account anniversary. I have had it for a few years, but never seek the 15k spending because I find it a lot more rewarding to put all my spending within the Chase system for Ultimate Rewards. I do charge the Flying Blue card for SAF purchases or other AFKL travel incidentals (not tickets) since you get 3x miles for AFKL purchases. I keep the card because $89 annual fee to get 20 XP upon account anniversary is great value (less than $5 per XP).

All that said, just making sure you're aware that you'll only get 60 XP annually with at least $15k of spending a year.
the phoenix likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 10:11 am

Remember that everyday spend on the BofA card is 1.5x, which is likely at minimum 1.5%. So if your UR return on non-bonus spend is less than 2.83%, the 40XP from $15k is also less than $5 per XP.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:43 am

Remember that everyday spend on the BofA card is 1.5x, which is likely at minimum 1.5%. So if your UR return on non-bonus spend is less than 2.83%, the 40XP from $15k is also less than $5 per XP.
I dont typically incur non-bonus spend (if not accidentally) on UR with the famous trifecta CSR, Freedom and Freedom Unlimited (which is also unlimited 1.5x) plus benefits like $300 annual travel credit are enticing. That said the annual fee is more than five times higher than BofA FB, thats true. Its just that the benefits tie me to the AFKL system in a way that UR dont.

That said this whole conversation is making me want to see whether I can swing the 15k without taking too much away from Chase.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by itaexpat
That said this whole conversation is making me want to see whether I can swing the 15k without taking too much away from Chase.
Rent/mortgage and car (now student loan) payments through plastiq have been my go-tos for a few years to get $15k on FB and $20-25k on AMTK.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 2:37 pm

Rent/mortgage and car (now student loan) payments through plastiq have been my go-tos for a few years to get $15k on FB and $20-25k on AMTK.
Doesn't Plastiq charge a fee though? Have you found that the benefits offset the fee?

EDIT: crunched some numbers. At current rent with my partner, it would take four months to hit 15k, eating up $435 in fees. Even still, that's just over $6 per XP. You may have convinced me...
hhdl likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 5:08 am

Programs: flying blue
Originally Posted by xmorox
kinda useless thing, but since I downloaded the new app I can't add my flying blue card to my apple wallet?
Clicking on "Add to Apple Wallet" doesn't do anything, the card (ugly new design, btw...) just doesn't appear.

did anyone experience the same thing?
Okay, it was just somehow "hidden" in the wallet, together with the other hundreds of expired passes
Old Oct 10, 2023, 3:02 pm

I booked an AF flight in business via Delta to burn some SkyMiles. Was able to select a seat in the process, and it's reflected in the AF app after I added the booking there.

I forgot AF charges for seat selection now though, and I have to pay if I want to change my seat. What will happen if I just leave it? I presume I'll need to pay during check in?
Old Oct 10, 2023, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by moonsidian
I booked an AF flight in business via Delta to burn some SkyMiles. Was able to select a seat in the process, and it's reflected in the AF app after I added the booking there.

I forgot AF charges for seat selection now though, and I have to pay if I want to change my seat. What will happen if I just leave it? I presume I'll need to pay during check in?
it's always free at check-in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.