Flying Blue FAQ

Old Apr 3, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I'd recommend using the FB messenger chats rather than calling. At least they respond to those, with some delay. Although i must also say they are about as helpful as a brick.

Last time I hit them up was to ask if checkin staff was present throughout at BLQ (there is a 5hr hiatus between AM and PM flights). They replied "we cannot check for you and best we can advise is to be there 2 hours prior to departure", gee whizz thanks a lot. I showed up 3 hours early and checkin staff was there.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 9:13 am

thanks, called and instant refund.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 3:22 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
hi all, apologies if it's been asked before - a quick search showed no results.

anyway, I have a vietnam airlines ticket in premium economy CDG-HAN-HND and return NRT-SGN-CDG. I upgraded the last leg SGN-CDG to business with cash/credit card. the FF card is my AF #.

when I look at the ticket now, the last leg is listed as business but the fare class for that leg is still the same as the other legs: ZLAP2EUW. the Z seems to imply it's PE class, not biz.
since I upgraded before the flight and directly on the VN site, will I get the XP / miles for biz class for that leg or still the original PE miles and XP?

ty!
Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by straniero
hi all, apologies if it's been asked before - a quick search showed no results.

anyway, I have a vietnam airlines ticket in premium economy CDG-HAN-HND and return NRT-SGN-CDG. I upgraded the last leg SGN-CDG to business with cash/credit card. the FF card is my AF #.

when I look at the ticket now, the last leg is listed as business but the fare class for that leg is still the same as the other legs: ZLAP2EUW. the Z seems to imply it's PE class, not biz.
since I upgraded before the flight and directly on the VN site, will I get the XP / miles for biz class for that leg or still the original PE miles and XP?

ty!
Depends on if Vietnam Airlines reissues the ticket. If not, you've essentially just bought the seat and the service which comes with it. Upgrade offers in the Delta app, for instance, do not reissue the ticket into the upgraded class (if upgrading all the legs in a fare component, it's sometimes possible to call DL and get the ticket reissued).

You'll have better luck asking in a Vietnam Airlines forum about if there's a way to have them reissue the ticket.

One complication with this is that if your NRT-SGN-CDG legs are one fare component (e.g. one good for travel from NRT to CDG with a connection in Vietnam), then upgrading just one flight will prevent ticket reissue or potentially require either buying up to business class on NRT-SGN or breaking the fare into NRT-SGN in PE and SGN-CDG in biz, which may well be even more expensive.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:49 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
thanks hhdl . ah well tough luck - I'll get what I get, not worth the hassle imho. i'll focus on having fun in tokyo!
hhdl likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, United Premier Silver
Economy light purchased via DL

As AFKL Platinum, what restrictions, if any, am I subject to if I purchase an AF economy light ticket on the DL website? Can I still select seats? I have two DL credit certificates, hence why I want to purchase the AF ticket on the DL website, where I can apply them.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by itaexpat
As AFKL Platinum, what restrictions, if any, am I subject to if I purchase an AF economy light ticket on the DL website? Can I still select seats? I have two DL credit certificates, hence why I want to purchase the AF ticket on the DL website, where I can apply them.
Assuming DL doesn't let you select seats you should be able to enter your PNR on AF app and do it there.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Assuming DL doesn't let you select seats you should be able to enter your PNR on AF app and do it there.
thank you, thatís what I was hoping! It would also be V fare and not E which is Deltaís super restrictive basic economy, which doesnít allow not even status holders to select seats.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 5:29 am

Well, as I've mentioned, I'm bound to Delta for this flight due to the e-certificate credits (it's a decent amount of money that I'd be hard pressed not to use at this time), but I'm seeing lower fares in J for my return flight on the AF website compared to the Delta website. I don't think it's a cache issue because it's been a few hours. Is it common for certain fares not to show up for purchase via DL? Is there any workaround to this, i.e. reproducing fares seen on AF on the DL website (maybe calling?) ?
Old Apr 21, 2023, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Paid upgrades before checkin with additional XP : we had only one report like this on FT. We need more report to better understand how it works, in which circumstances it is proposed.
I received this answer about receiving extra XPs (or not) from upgrades offered by AFKL -- now what about upgrades offered by DL, several days before check-in? I'm offered a paid upgrade to their new Premium Select for a decent price. It's a personal long-haul with my partner and it would be nice. But, as usual for me, way less justifiable to spend the money if the paid upgrade doesn't result in extra XPs. Departure is in 10 days. Should I expect extra XPs?

The cabin looks pretty empty right now, perhaps they're lowering the W upgrade prices because they're undersold (cash upgrade to Delta One is much higher at $2,300):

Old Apr 21, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
EDIT: deleted the incorrect bit

Being FB elite, I suspect that being on a PE fare (if you go the upfare route) will give you a notionally higher upgrade priority than other SkyTeam elites on the DEN-ATL flight, but the priority at the far end of the upgrade list is pretty murky.

EDIT: it looks like the difference between PE out and main out (main back on May 9 for this r/t) is $200-ish at current fares ($2080 incl. taxes/etc. for the PE/main r/t).

Last edited by hhdl; Apr 22, 2023 at 4:22 am
Old Apr 21, 2023, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl
It is unlikely that that offer will result in XP.

There are reports of being able to get DL to reissue the ticket if all legs on a fare component are upgraded to a given level of service: if your one-way or round-trip booking were just ATL-SCL (no connection on either end), that would be a whole fare component, otherwise you'd have to buy PE on the DEN-ATL leg, which isn't being offered. If the ticket is reissued after buying the upgrade, the reports on the DL forum indicate that it does earn SkyMiles MQM as if it's PE, so I suspect it would earn XP as if it were PE.

If you want to be sure to reticket, look into changing your flight into PE via the flight change part of DL. That will refare the ticket (which also means you'd be entitled to the full DL downgrade comp if there's an equipment switch and the cost of your upgrade would become part of the eCredit you get if canceling) and it's not unheard of for DL to charge less for more going that route.

Being FB elite, I suspect that being on a PE fare (if you go the upfare route) will give you a notionally higher upgrade priority than other SkyTeam elites on the DEN-ATL flight, but the priority at the far end of the upgrade list is pretty murky.

EDIT: it looks like the difference between PE out and main out (main back on May 9 for this r/t) is $200-ish at current fares ($2080 incl. taxes/etc. for the PE/main r/t).
Thank you! That makes a lot of sense about the upgrade likely not going to earn extra XP if only applied to one leg of the entire four-leg trip. I might give DL a call to double check just in case. I checked about a full change, and currently the price difference to upgrade to PE would be $860 per direction per passenger (total $1,720), which would more than double the original total cost of the two tickets. On the other hand, $342/pax for the single leg upgrade offer isn't bad to sit/rest more comfortably during a 9-hour overnight flight, so I will still consider it, but I typically have a hard time shelling out more cash if it doesn't result in extra earnings.

Wrt complimentary upgrades, even as FB elite I'm not eligible as long as the two reservations are joined together (my partner does not have status with neither DL or FB); if I were to split them, I would become eligible, but it would be just me and I think that not being a direct DL member I'd still rank quite low on the list...

Last edited by itaexpat; Apr 21, 2023 at 5:17 pm
Old Apr 22, 2023, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by itaexpat
I received this answer about receiving extra XPs (or not) from upgrades offered by AFKL -- now what about upgrades offered by DL, several days before check-in? I'm offered a paid upgrade to their new Premium Select for a decent price. It's a personal long-haul with my partner and it would be nice. But, as usual for me, way less justifiable to spend the money if the paid upgrade doesn't result in extra XPs. Departure is in 10 days. Should I expect extra XPs?

The cabin looks pretty empty right now, perhaps they're lowering the W upgrade prices because they're undersold (cash upgrade to Delta One is much higher at $2,300):

Paid upgrades (in advance) with DL flights (DL-operated and marketed) give you XP of the upper class.
SkyteamEP, Maestro Ramen and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Paid upgrades (in advance) with DL flights (DL-operated and marketed) give you XP of the upper class.
well this is fantastic news, and you sound very confident about it thank you!
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:05 pm

I booked an AF flight with FB miles a couple weeks ago, and now I see the exact same one available but for fewer miles. Assuming it isn't phantom space or anything, is there any way I can get the mileage difference credited back?

Could I theoretically cancel my current booking, eating the cancellation fee, and re-book at the lower mileage cost? (Again, assuming the space is actually there.) Not that I'm particularly inclined to try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.