Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

See miles for upgrade without adding Flying Blue number?

Old Jun 11, 2024, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver + AY Platin + DL Silver

I have a Premium Economy booking to Osaka leaving tomorrow. At check-in, I am seeing the option to upgrade to Business Class for €389, which isn't too bad.

I was wondering how many miles the same upgrade would need. But I am unable to add my Flying Blue number and agent tells me that it would make me lose the Y+ seat assignment if they do it for me.

Is there any other way to see the required amount of miles? Or any recent experience, how Euro convert to miles for upgrades?
Old Jun 11, 2024, 1:32 am

Programs: FB Gold
I cannot recommend the hard-shell Premium Eco seats on the appareils serving KIX. Take a look at some of the other threads, and how unconfortable they are. No, I am not exaggerating; people would rather downgrade to Y than fly the hard-shell W.

For your question, don't think there is a way to see the flying blue miles required if you didn't have it attached in the first place. But often, there isn't a great correlation between the cash and miles required, as the offers vary from person to person based on their previous travel and upgrade history.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by delpiero223
At check-in, I am seeing the option to upgrade to Business Class for €389, which isn't too bad.
You should take the offer - if somebody else hasn't already taken it.

But I am unable to add my Flying Blue number and agent tells me that it would make me lose the Y+ seat assignment if they do it for me.
I'm struggling to understand that.

Why would you be unable to add your FB number? Is it because you have a Delta Skymiles/ITA Volare/some other FFP already attached to the booking?

And I don't see why changing/adding an FFP number would cause you to lose your seat assignment in Premium Economy....
Old Jun 11, 2024, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You should take the offer - if somebody else hasn't already taken it.
It's definitely a good price, but since I can sleep in Premium Eco, €389 is still not worth it for me. If it was 30k miles, I may snag it, though.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'm struggling to understand that.

Why would you be unable to add your FB number? Is it because you have a Delta Skymiles/ITA Volare/some other FFP already attached to the booking?

And I don't see why changing/adding an FFP number would cause you to lose your seat assignment in Premium Economy....
Yes, I have a Delta number assigned (which allowed me to assign the seat ahead even in Y+ light). The chat agent told me that I would lose the seat, if he's changing my number:

Would try to avoid landing in a middle seat

Originally Posted by mlin32
I cannot recommend the hard-shell Premium Eco seats on the appareils serving KIX. Take a look at some of the other threads, and how unconfortable they are. No, I am not exaggerating; people would rather downgrade to Y than fly the hard-shell W.
Fortunately, I am flying KLM tomorrow. Will have the had shell issue on the way back with AF, but at least that's a day flight.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Update: I have now changed my number from Delta Silver to Flying Blue (Explorer). But there's no option to upgrade using miles, and WhatsApp support is unable to do it within check-in timeframe.
At least all the seats remained the same. So it didn't kick them out as support told me.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 3:20 am

389 EUR is a total bargain for a 14 hour flight, for me a total no brainer especially because AF W seat is unbearable to sit in for 14 hours.
Catering in AF W is nearly identical to Y while in J, they serve probably the best J catering of all European carriers.

The offer does not stay until departure so take it now while you can.

EDIT: I see it's KLM J, still worth the price in my opinion but KL W is pretty good.

On the way back in AF W, I would actually prefer to fly in Y, W is unbearable.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least all the seats remained the same. So it didn't kick them out as support told me.
Yeah, the agent was being unnecessarily cautious there; changing the FFP number should have no impact on seating, certainly not during the OLCI window being open
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Update for anyone who is interested: I asked at the KLM lounge and following options were offered:
1) 389 EUR
2) 292 EUR + 13,900 miles
3) 195 EUR + 27,800 miles
4) 97 EUR + 41,700 miles
5) 55,600 miles

So one mile was calculated about 0,7 cents, making cash the preferable option.
(I cheaped out of it and am now sitting in my Y+ seat)
Old Jun 12, 2024, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Considering that a redemption into J outright starts from 70,000 miles, further proof that using miles to upgrade is a comparative poor use of miles!!!

BTW: it's interesting to see that KLM now offer "La Premičre" on this route!!!
Attached Images  
delpiero223 and BA Humbug like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.