Legality of AFKL price discrimination for upgrades

Old Mar 14, 2024, 1:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Hilton Diamond, Sixt Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by cosmindraghici
On my next trip I have no such option, neither on app nor on the browser.
Previously, I had an upgrade button that prompted a “contact the call center” message.
Now it disappeared completely.
Same here. Checked both an award flight in Y and a full fare refundable Y. Checked in both AF and KLM apps and on both AF and KLM websites: on all 4 channels and for both flights I tried:
- seat selecten
- 'change my flight' box: gave usual error and 'contact customer services' or 'contact flying blue'
- checked 'extra options'.

No sign of any upgrade options. Maybe I am not looking in the right spot.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:05 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
Looking forward to the new thread and aggregating all the consistent, transparent and affordable offers we are going to get!
The price of upgrades offered in advance are essentially a function of the price you paid for your ticket and the lowest available fare in the desired target cabin. No sorcery here.
curiousexplorer likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
The price of upgrades offered in advance are essentially a function of the price you paid for your ticket and the lowest available fare in the desired target cabin. No sorcery here.
Echoing what some of the other posters said though, the option doesn't seem to appear on the AF or KL websites for any of my Y bookings either. Does it matter what region's websites we use?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 4:27 pm

Programs: AF Flying Blue, LX Miles&More, TP Miles&Go, EK Skywards
Both options (cash or miles) appear on the website for my next trip to BLR. Unfortunately no availability (I currently booked a PE ticket).
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by frec63_ft
Both options (cash or miles) appear on the website for my next trip to BLR. Unfortunately no availability (I currently booked a PE ticket).
Could you post a screenshot perhaps of where you see this?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:15 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I don't see a cash upgrade. Only mileage which tells me anyway that there is nothing available for my flight.

Disappointed to hear it's just going to be a button for an upfare reprice. I was expecing LHg style "confirmed upgrades ~100 per segment" type thing.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Accor Gold
Maybe it doesn’t show when you have a Light ticket, which is unchangeable? Since they added the change feed I switched all my bookings from Standard to Light as I wouldn’t get any benefit from standard anymore (my main benefit was actually changing to a J flight when the price difference was minimal).

Does anyone with Standard/Flex see the upgrade option?
Old Mar 15, 2024, 2:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by curiousexplorer
Maybe it doesn’t show when you have a Light ticket, which is unchangeable? Since they added the change feed I switched all my bookings from Standard to Light as I wouldn’t get any benefit from standard anymore (my main benefit was actually changing to a J flight when the price difference was minimal).

Does anyone with Standard/Flex see the upgrade option?
I see the option for my BRS-CPH light (fare basis XYS72OLA). The upgrade price is indeed the difference between what I paid and what J is today.

Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Hilton Diamond, Sixt Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by sorefoot
I see the option for my BRS-CPH light (fare basis XYS72OLA). The upgrade price is indeed the difference between what I paid and what J is today.
Looks like the function is for same booking class (so Economy Flex, maps to Business Flex, and not to the lowest available fare, which would be Business Standard).
- AMS-Paris - booking Class G - flex. RT price was EUR325,13
- Upgrade offer combined on both legs: 446,- + 438,,- = 884,-. Would make total 1209,13, inlcuding original fare.
- Current price in J: AMD-CDG = 1181,87
Difference between upgrade offer and direct purchase: upgrade is 27,26 more expensive than buying direct into Business Flex.
PS: no miles upgrade offer, likely due to lack of award space.

When buying into "business standard" fare the total would have been 'only' 634,87. The upgrade for both legs combined should have been around 309,74.

Personally I wouldn't 'never' upgrade Intra-EU ever at all (or maybe perhaps for 10euro), but hopefully this data point gives somes clues to how the algorithm works also for long haul where upgrades really are beneficial when offer is decent.

My first impression is that this AF/KLM feature is not at all similar to LH where you sometimes you can get good upgrade deals that are below what the difference is between purchased fare and current fare. Perhaps the algorithm is dynamic in it's ratio between the two farses: so for instance now is is 100% -(or even slightly above) and that it decreases to for instance 75% at or close to OLCI. We'll just have to keep collecting data points to see if this new feature really provides any true financial benefit or that it is merely a 'convenience' benefit in case someone changes their minds after the fact. Lastly: it's not a good sign for those who want to get the best deal out of it, since it seems to map into same fare class and not lowest available fare class.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:40 am

2nd data point:
- For Economy Light fare AMS-MAD in april, there is no upgrade offer. I checked current J booking classes and no Business Light fare is available, so the mapping is a hard mapping, meaning that it will not map to lower available classes, but won't map to higher either: (so from no offers will show from Eco Light to Business standard if there is no Business light).
Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:15 am

Programs: AF Flying Blue, LX Miles&More, TP Miles&Go, EK Skywards
Originally Posted by sehgalanuj
Could you post a screenshot perhaps of where you see this?
This is how it goes:

New option appears

Then you have 2 choices: cash or miles

In my case there is no availability

I called the PSL this morning, they confirmed that Business class was full, so no availability for me.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by DuyT
2nd data point:
- For Economy Light fare AMS-MAD in april, there is no upgrade offer. I checked current J booking classes and no Business Light fare is available, so the mapping is a hard mapping, meaning that it will not map to lower available classes, but won't map to higher either: (so from no offers will show from Eco Light to Business standard if there is no Business light).
For my BRS-CPH eco light fare, the (cash) upgrade seems to to have mapped me on a Business Flex fare (new ticket conditions are no fee for cancellation/change). And the upgrade fare is about £85 (fees?) more than the difference between what I paid for the eco Light and the current Business Flex fare.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: Flyingblue
Duyt you are on point!

You are on point.
I have light fare, and on the flight the only available Business options are Standard & Flex. To be honest I checked all the direct flights for that day and none of them have the Business light.
So I would say, to be able to get the upgrade option pre-flight you will probably have to buy Economy Standard & Flex.

Last edited by cosmindraghici; Mar 15, 2024 at 8:13 am Reason: Did not quote
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by cosmindraghici
You are on point.
I have light fare, and on the flight the only available Business options are Standard & Flex. To be honest I checked all the direct flights for that day and none of them have the Business light.
So I would say, to be able to get the upgrade option pre-flight you will probably have to buy Economy Standard & Flex.
not quite sure now anymore: Sorefoot in post above indicates the upgrade mapped to Business Flex.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by sorefoot
For my BRS-CPH eco light fare, the (cash) upgrade seems to to have mapped me on a Business Flex fare (new ticket conditions are no fee for cancellation/change). And the upgrade fare is about £85 (fees?) more than the difference between what I paid for the eco Light and the current Business Flex fare.
could you check for us if the business light fare is even available on the exact same flights?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.