Best Premium Credit Card

Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Best Premium Credit Card

I am unsure if this is the right forum, so maybe this must be moved.

I am currently holding an Amex AF Platinum Card. The reason for the card was mainly the Concierge Service plus the extra XP. Now I'm soon going to be Platinum for Life, so the extra XP doesn't matter anymore. And, after calling the Concierge service yesterday, they told me they are no longer allowed to help with bookings abroad (i.e., outside of France) unless the trip has been booked through them. Since I never worked with Amex Travel, this means the card lost all its value.

Can anyone recommend another card (for the French market) worth looking into? I mostly care about the Concierge, maybe status at some hotel chains or similar. Insurances and extra points are less relevant to me.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum ...
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since there is no AFKL link at all, I would have thought that the France & Monaco forum might perhaps be a better place for this?
Mike_Paris likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:22 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
the regular AMEX Plat gives you gold status with 4 different chains (Hilton, Marriott, Melia, Radisson) and two rentals (Avis, Hertz), insurance, and a series of additional benefits for the same cost (approx 55/month) as the AF Plat.

you can see all the details here:
https://www.americanexpress.com/fr-f...platinum-card/

not sure it's what you're looking for, but it's a great card imo. I got both and use the regular as backup to take advantage of all the benefits it gives. the points to miles ratio is not as good as the AF Plat but benefits more than make up for it.

Remember btw that you lose the chance to give a FB Plat card to a partner if you give up the AF Amex Plat.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by straniero
the regular AMEX Plat gives you gold status with 4 different chains (Hilton, Marriott, Melia, Radisson) and two rentals (Avis, Hertz), insurance, and a series of additional benefits for the same cost (approx 55/month) as the AF Plat.

you can see all the details here:
https://www.americanexpress.com/fr-f...platinum-card/

not sure it's what you're looking for, but it's a great card imo. I got both and use the regular as backup to take advantage of all the benefits it gives. the points to miles ratio is not as good as the AF Plat but benefits more than make up for it.

Remember btw that you lose the chance to give a FB Plat card to a partner if you give up the AF Amex Plat.
Thank you! I am on the way of becoming Platinum Ultimate at AF so I may be able to give Platinum in other ways. Fingers crossed ...
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike_Paris
But you already asked the same question in another forum...
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
But you already asked the same question in another forum...
I just did since a user suggested another forum would be more appropriate. Should I close this one? Or delete it?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I just did since a user suggested another forum would be more appropriate. Should I close this one? Or delete it?
No worries Mods may do something...or not.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 10:03 am
Flying Blue Director

I am currently holding an Amex AF Platinum Card. The reason for the card was mainly the Concierge Service plus the extra XP. Now I'm soon going to be Platinum for Life, so the extra XP doesn't matter anymore. And, after calling the Concierge service yesterday, they told me they are no longer allowed to help with bookings abroad (i.e., outside of France) unless the trip has been booked through them. Since I never worked with Amex Travel, this means the card lost all its value.

Can anyone recommend another card (for the French market) worth looking into? I mostly care about the Concierge, maybe status at some hotel chains or similar. Insurances and extra points are less relevant to me.

What do you mean, "not allowed to help with bookings abroad" ? Do you mean help with a hotel that you booked elsewhere? That was never allowed since they act as a travel agent, and only the original travel agent can assist. Or were you referring to something else? As far as I'm concerned, nothing has changed regarding the concierage service available on the card. Feel free to PM me if you want to give more specifics.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 6:03 am

I would advise you the regular AMEX Platinum card (which is different from the AF Platinum card).
The cost is +/- the same as the AF co-branded one but the main additional value is that you have access to the AMEX travel department.
I use them a lot as all Platinum and Centurion members have access to specific advantages when it comes to hotel bookings AND discounts the flight tickets on prestigious airlines in Business and First class .
Cathay, Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Qatar (and others) have reached agreements with AMEX.

Besides the discounts (-10% to -15% off) the tickets are quite flexible when it comes to amendments and cancellations

I am AF Ultimate but I travel as well a lot outside AFKL as the program ULTI stills shows weakness despite recents efforts provided by Ben Lipsey

What upset me at most with AF FB is the permanent devaluation of miles. Business and First scheme redemption levels are getting ridiculous and are upshifted permanently.

Im running a business and I can tell you that there is nothing worse than a permanent moving and non predictable environnement (like the tax treatment for corporate) .
Stability and visibility is key, what FB does not provide at all.
Sorry for being a bit of topic but i give you the rational why I am using AMEX travel department.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.