Change to XP after 1st April 2024

Old Jan 24, 2024, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Change to XP after 1st April 2024

I recently flew to Australia via AMS, and KUL and collected a lot of XP for doing so.
15, 36, 30, x2. = 162XP.

I have to repeat the flight next year but it appears I'll be 60xp worse off as I won't earn the miles going via SIN or KUL any longer.

I even got 4xp for 2 qantas flights which I also see are being removed.
what's the logic behind this?
surely the middle Eastern airlines can do this flight in 1 stop, with better service so even as a FB platinum it makes me book a with Emirates.

sorry if there is a thread for this - I did look bit maybe not well enough.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Ukchris82
sorry if there is a thread for this - I did look bit maybe not well enough.
Yes, there is: Also possible to earn XP on non-SkyTeam partner airlines (excl. Transavia)

what's the logic behind this?
It was a brief, 4-year aberration in which Flying Blue allowed XPs to be earned on all* partner airlines.

They are now returning to the industry-standard of only giving elite qualification credits for flights on themselves and their alliance partners' flights only.

surely the middle Eastern airlines can do this flight in 1 stop, with better service so even as a FB platinum it makes me book a with Emirates.
*You might prefer to book Etihad over Emirates; they were recently added as a Flying Blue partner airline - meaning you can earn Flying Blue miles at the very least when flying on Etihad - though they were added as an FB partner without the ability to earn XPs.

EY is therefore an example of an FB partner airline where it is already not possible to earn XPs; this will be the case for all FB partner airlines (that are not Skyteam members) as of 1 April next.

Furthermore, you may no longer get XPs for the entire trip if you decide you still want to go via KUL, but there are other connections available at other airports, with which you can still reach Australia on Skyteam airlines (Korean, China Airlines, China Eastern, Garuda Indonesia, Vietnam Airlines, Xiamen Air) and thereby earn XPs for the entire trip (with the exception of any domestic QF sectors)

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 24, 2024 at 6:35 am
Old Jan 24, 2024, 7:46 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
There are plenty of flights via CDG then SIN where the SIN-SYD/MEL flight, operated by QF, is actually on codeshare with AF, and if you book from the AF website, you will likely get the AF marketed flight on SIN-SYD/MEL flights. On a AF marketed OF operated flights you will get XPs and even UXPs.
It's the QF domestic flights that afaik don't have any codeshare so with the new changes you won't get any XP.
Similarly, there are codeshares on KL, some even a little creative - like KL4890, a BKK-SYD flight operated by AY (Finnair).
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andy82
Similarly, there are codeshares on KL, some even a little creative - like KL4890, a BKK-SYD flight operated by AY (Finnair).
Creative indeed, given that AY does not fly to Sydney! Presumably it is a wet-lease operated by Finnair on behalf of Qantas, and therefore with a QF product rather than an AY one?
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Apologies for missing the thread.

I have to say you are all very creative at how to get down under.

What would your recommendation be for getting to either Auckland or ideally Christchurch in NZ whislt collecting XP but without going round the houses.

I live near Newcastle so Emirates would be the easiest for a 1 stopper to Auckland.

Cheers for the help!
Old Jan 24, 2024, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

What would your recommendation be for getting to either Auckland or ideally Christchurch in NZ whislt collecting XP but without going round the houses.

I live near Newcastle so Emirates would be the easiest for a 1 stopper to Auckland.

Cheers for the help!
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No Skyteam airlines serve CHC.

At AKL, you've only got Korean, China Airlines (via BNE - it stops both ways), China Eastern (offering triangular routes from Hangzhou via Sydney) and Delta from LAX. There's also Aircalin from Noumťa, but I've never seen them come up in searches for Europe-NZ.

China Airlines frequently have very good deals in business class - or, at least, they did before Covid. I first got to Platinum thanks to a cheap China Airlines J ticket to Auckland (and I stopped over in BNE, too).

You should probably do your own searching on line to see what's feasible. Maybe once you've drawn up a few potential itineraries, have a chat with an actual travel agent. If you're willing to reposition from Newcastle ahead of your "main" ticket, you'll probably save yourself thousands by starting someplace more convenient for a longhaul J bargain ticket.

Alternately, if it's an option, you could consider getting yourself to Australia, and adding on CHC (and/or AKL) as a side trip on a completely separate ticket. Not quite sure what the situation these days is, but there used to be an array of interesting airlines flying across the Tasman. My first taste of both Aerolineas Argentinas and LAN were on cross-Tasman flights back in the day, but I am pretty sure neither still ply these routes (edit: LATAM, as LAN Chile now is known, still flies between SYD and AKL). They had dirt-cheap fares and you could fly up front in a lie-flat bed for not much more than what Qantas or Air NZ were looking for for narrowbody service. It was also my one-and-only Emirates F experience on an A380; a miles upgrade from a paid J ticket.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 25, 2024 at 12:41 am
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:37 am

Programs: FB Gold
MU also serves AKL from PVG, but that means a flying from LHR from the UK
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:36 am

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum

Cheers for the help!
Unfortunately, unlike this side of the ditch you donít have many options when coming from Europe. Other than the skyteam options mentioned above you also have DL via LAX to AKL, and NCL-AMS-KUL-AKL with the last flight on MH but with KL code.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Digicola
and NCL-AMS-KUL-AKL with the last flight on MH but with KL code.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that AKL is covered by KL's codeshare agreement with MH
Attached Images  
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that AKL is covered by KL's codeshare agreement with MH

Depending on the dates they certainly are available.

Iím more surprised by the fact SQ codeshares arenít available anymore despite being widely present to Australia.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure that KL ever had codeshares on SQ?

Anytime I have ever seen an SQ flight (and NZ too) suggested on the KLM website, in the last 5-10 years anyway, it has never had a KL codeshare flight number.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Are you sure that KL ever had codeshares on SQ?

Anytime I have ever seen an SQ flight (and NZ too) suggested on the KLM website, in the last 5-10 years anyway, it has never had a KL codeshare flight number.
Nope you are right, I was thinking of Australia and assumed NZ was included.

Funny to think less that less than a decade ago rumours circulating said AF/KL and SQ were in talks lf a JV with SQ potentially joining Skyteam as LH was not willing to remove their veto.
irishguy28 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.