Stand by on award ticket ?

Old Sep 3, 2023, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Stand by on award ticket ?

I have an award ticket CDG YUL in J on the 7pm flight.

Does AF accept stand by ?

Wondering if it’s worth trying to catch the beginning afternoon flight ?
(if there are seats available)

I have no status

Thank you so much and sorry for this very newbie question
Old Sep 3, 2023, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CGRA
Does AF accept stand by ?
No, they do not.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
No, they do not.
thank you. So trying will be a waist of time ?

was able to take earlier flights at NCE (to ORY) without going to ticketing
seems it’s different for intl
Old Sep 3, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
You can always ask but do not bet on it. I once was far too early at Schiphol for a AMS-LCY hop and after asking at the helpdesk in the lounge they let me take an earlier flight - but after a check from a supervisor. I guess their logic was that the space on the flight that would leave in 60 minute was available, and never be sold anymore, and would save a seat on a flight 3 hour later that at least had some chance still to be sold. Or maybe they flight I originally had was full and moving me gave them flexibility in case of a late connecting passenger, etc. I never tried this long-haul. Note my situation was different as asking for stand-by - I simply arrived airside far earlier as expected. I then asked if the change was possible. I did not ask for standby before moving to the airport.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you artflyer.
My idea was to ask for standby at the airport (not earlier)
If they refuse I can go back home (only if I stay landside)
Old Sep 3, 2023, 1:57 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
(...) was able to take earlier flights at NCE (to ORY) without going to ticketing
seems it’s different for intl
Must have been La Navette (shuttle service).
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
thank you. So trying will be a waist of time ?
Yes, waste of time. Only circumstance you may have a chance : check the loads of flights if you have access to ExpertFlyer or similar. If you see that your flight is totally full or even overbooked and the earlier one seems to still have available seats for sale, then ask as they may be happy to free up your seat in the overbooked flight.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I think that, in those particular circumstances, Air France would already have recruited some SWINGers in advance to even out the loads....

(I wonder if AF ever tempts passengers on award tickets to SWING, or if they start with "normal" tickets first)

AF SWING : change flights in advance, AF gives you €€€
newflyer27 and hhdl like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Yes, waste of time. Only circumstance you may have a chance : check the loads of flights if you have access to ExpertFlyer or similar. If you see that your flight is totally full or even overbooked and the earlier one seems to still have available seats for sale, then ask as they may be happy to free up your seat in the overbooked flight.
Thank you.

Even if my flight is oversold and the previous one is empty, does the check in agent will think to look at load factor of the flights ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.