New Accounts & Points' Transfer

Old Sep 1, 23, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
New Accounts & Points' Transfer

Using DL Skymiles as the ST flights account. I did notice that some great redemptions are availbale on the FB platform, including TATL for 15k and under. As I have read on some threads in various forms that AF/KL redemption tickets could be voided after transferring points from say, AMEX, would anyone know whether this practice is still very common? Would I have to keep account open for a while before making such transfer? Was thinking to open a FB account and transfer points from AMEX for such redemptions.
Old Sep 1, 23, 9:37 am

Programs: FB Gold
What you are trying to do, is exactly what Flying Blue is trying to hinder. (and in my opinion, rightly so).

If you want to be more certain, I would credit at least a couple real flights to your account before making a points transfer.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 23, 2:02 pm
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mlin32
What you are trying to do, is exactly what Flying Blue is trying to hinder. (and in my opinion, rightly so).

If you want to be more certain, I would credit at least a couple real flights to your account before making a points transfer.
out of curiosity, is that technically against Flying Blue rules? I mean creating a new account and then transferring a bunch of CC points into Flying Blue. If no fraud has been committed, wouldn't that be something that a simple phone call could fix? I've always wondered since I'm in a similar situation with SQ at the moment (with totally legitimate circumstances).
Old Sep 1, 23, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ofj
out of curiosity, is that technically against Flying Blue rules? I mean creating a new account and then transferring a bunch of CC points into Flying Blue. If no fraud has been committed, wouldn't that be something that a simple phone call could fix? I've always wondered since I'm in a similar situation with SQ at the moment (with totally legitimate circumstances).
Was wondering the same thing...if such legit transfers come from someone's account (no family accounts...) in AMEX into same name account in FB, what would be the issue for FB? Guess FB does get paid for these points anyway...
Old Sep 2, 23, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AF/FB has a lot of leeway written in its T&C.

The basic motivation is that they do not like people who never fly AF KL DL to open an account and transfer miles from cc for the purpose of booking an award. My guess is that they feel it defeats the purpose of an airline "loyalty" program. That is besides any possible fraud issues.
It seems from posts on FT, that they periodically target such accounts and ask for "verification". They make you go through painful hoops, such as going to an airport to verify identity. I don't know how frequent such a request for identification is.
ofj likes this.
Old Sep 2, 23, 3:12 pm
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by brunos
AF/FB has a lot of leeway written in its T&C.

The basic motivation is that they do not like people who never fly AF KL DL to open an account and transfer miles from cc for the purpose of booking an award. My guess is that they feel it defeats the purpose of an airline "loyalty" program. That is besides any possible fraud issues.
It seems from posts on FT, that they periodically target such accounts and ask for "verification". They make you go through painful hoops, such as going to an airport to verify identity. I don't know how frequent such a request for identification is.
Thanks for the insights. "Going to an airport for identity verification" sounds a bit extreme, but I guess if that's what it takes, then so be it. Will they actually close such accounts or cancel the award ticket, though? (For people who've never credited to FB but are not committing fraud either)
Old Sep 3, 23, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ofj
Thanks for the insights. "Going to an airport for identity verification" sounds a bit extreme, but I guess if that's what it takes, then so be it. Will they actually close such accounts or cancel the award ticket, though? (For people who've never credited to FB but are not committing fraud either)
I have no personal experience and anyway it would just be a sample of size 1.
But as systematic reader of this forum, I do not think that we got any bona fide member who could not finally get their FB ticket under such circumstances (new FB account, no flight activity)
And we have not had recent posts about such occurrences.

In the murky situation where the miles were transferred from a cc with different name than the pax travelling, then the answer is less clear. Some posters might have been bartering award tickets and stopped posting.
I don't remember any case where a guy opened a FB account in his name, transferred miles from a cc, then issued an award in his name and could not get his ticket validated in the end.
ofj likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.