How can I use 70,000 miles of Air France KLM?

Old Aug 8, 2023, 2:31 am
Original Poster

How can I use 70,000 miles of Air France KLM?

Hi,
I am checking, if there is any other way to use 70,000 miles earned by Air France KLM Mastercard, if I am not flying with any of SkyTeam Alliance (20 members).
Can those be transferred to any other airlines or credit program?
If not better way, then I will keep waiting, till I fly with any of these partners.
Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2023, 7:20 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have transferred this question to the Flying Blue forum, because it does not matter how the miles were earned, the redemption options are the same as any other miles.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Unlikely you'd find an intercontinental return in J for 70K, but you might be able to find a promo reward in one of the future cycles, which will allow you to combine J in one direction with PE in the other and fit into 70K budget.

You could transfer to ALL but the rate is miserable (you would only get a ~350 EUR discount on a hotel stay)
Old Aug 8, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Best way to use 70k is on AF/KLM, as partner awards tend to be very scarce.

There are occasionally some good deals to be had in the promos, like to the DOM/TOM.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlin32
Best way to use 70k is on AF/KLM, as partner awards tend to be very scarce.

There are occasionally some good deals to be had in the promos, like to the DOM/TOM.
If stay with any of partner airliens (below), I can use 70,000 at 1:1. If those 70k are not enough for that specific one, I can mix miles+cash. Am I understanding it correct?

Do you mean that apart from AF/KLM, it will be difficult to find good fare with 70k miles ?

Aerolneas Argentinas
Aeromexico
Air Europa
Air France
China Airlines
China Eastern
Czech Airlines
Delta
Garuda Indonesia
ITA Airways
Kenya Airways
KLM
Korean Air
Middle East Airlines
Saudia
Torom
Vietnam Airlines
Virgin Atlantic
XiamenAir
Old Aug 8, 2023, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by abhisheks77
If stay with any of partner airliens (below), I can use 70,000 at 1:1. If those 70k are not enough for that specific one, I can mix miles+cash. Am I understanding it correct?
I.... have absolutely no idea what you mean by that.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I.... have absolutely no idea what you mean by that.
I mean, all 70,000 miles can be transferred as it is to mentioned other airlines partners.
If I go with KLM or AF, then I can transfer 70k to airlines and book tickets with those 70,000 to book tickets. Am I understanding it correct?

I am looking at SEA-DEL with KLM in November.
With cash, cheapest economy is $680
With miles, cheapest economy is 60,000 miles + $162.

If I want to go with business class, will it be wise to book business with 70,000 miles + cash, or book economy with $680 and later upgrade to business with miles? 70k miles will not cover price of business seat, for can pay rest with cash.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by abhisheks77
I mean, all 70,000 miles can be transferred as it is to mentioned other airlines partners.
If I go with KLM or AF, then I can transfer 70k to airlines and book tickets with those 70,000 to book tickets. Am I understanding it correct?
No, not correct.

If you have 70,000 Flying Blue miles, you can redeem them, at Flying Blue 's redemption rates, for award travel on partner carriers if and when the partners make award seats available to Flying Blue.

The ability to redeem one program's miles on another carrier does not mean that you can transfer miles from one FFP to another.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:55 am

Also partial payment with miles works differently from straight redemption.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If you don't fly SkyTeam airlines, and have no idea how to use 70,000 Flying Blue miles, might I venture that this credit card is not a good idea for you.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 5:00 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Its a bit weird to state you dont fly skyteam so you dont know where to redeem this on. Flying blue has some non-skyteam partners you could look into.

But... why not fly skyteam BECAUSE you have a bunch of FB points? Few places in the world where you would have 0 options to redeem these. You'd have to be in micronesia or something.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:02 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Yreal
Its a bit weird to state you dont fly skyteam so you dont know where to redeem this on. Flying blue has some non-skyteam partners you could look into.

But... why not fly skyteam BECAUSE you have a bunch of FB points? Few places in the world where you would have 0 options to redeem these. You'd have to be in micronesia or something.
That's not the best way to choose an airline alliance (although that's what the marketing people want people to do).

For example, if someone is based in China and has a ton of FB points, that is no guarantee they can easily redeem those points for the flights they want. Sure, those FB points might be usable for AF/KLM operated flights from Shanghai to Europe thru Paris or Amsterdam. But what if the person wants to travel around Asia or even within China ? The Skyteam partners don't offer much, if any reward space to be utilised with FB miles, and you cannot transfer FB miles to another ST programme. Sure, you could redeem for non-airline usage, but that's almost always poor value.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by mlin32
That's not the best way to choose an airline alliance (although that's what the marketing people want people to do).

For example, if someone is based in China and has a ton of FB points, that is no guarantee they can easily redeem those points for the flights they want. Sure, those FB points might be usable for AF/KLM operated flights from Shanghai to Europe thru Paris or Amsterdam. But what if the person wants to travel around Asia or even within China ? The Skyteam partners don't offer much, if any reward space to be utilised with FB miles, and you cannot transfer FB miles to another ST programme. Sure, you could redeem for non-airline usage, but that's almost always poor value.
I dont realy see the issuee? I can just hop over to the KLM site and put in shanghai - bali and i get a nice calender with 25k milles options?
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:17 am

I mean, looking at options, partner awards seem better? No dynamic pricing nonsense...

Lol, gonna look into this when I get home from work. I see alot of potential here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.