China Southern - FM miles and status benefits

Old Jul 11, 2023, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
China Southern - FM miles and status benefits

Dear all,

Altough China has re-opened international flights from AF/KL are far from what they used be, so I am looking at alternatives. China Southern comes up as a good alternative, but I am reading some conflicting information when it comes to collection and status benefits since their departure from Skyteam.

As far as I can gather:
  • Miles and XP can be collected on CZ coded flights operated by CZ as long as the booking class is listed on the website
  • Lounge access is available for FB Elites
  • Priority check-in is not available
Does anyone have any recent experiences?

Thank you!
Robert
criced likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: FB Gold
From where are you trying to fly ? MU has restored a lot of service in the past month, and might be a safer bet in terms of FB accumulation and benefits, and Xiamen Airlines also flies a decent schedule.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:22 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
I would say that the FB website should be decisive....I see no reason to avoid China Southern....miles and XP will be gained in fact in a lot of booking classes, much more as pre COVID.
https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/earn-sp...nes?country=NL
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlin32
From where are you trying to fly ? MU has restored a lot of service in the past month, and might be a safer bet in terms of FB accumulation and benefits, and Xiamen Airlines also flies a decent schedule.
The route is Amsterdam to Chongqing. Unfortunately MU only offers two-stop connections or a change of airport in Shanghai. Same for AF and KL.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atflyer
I would say that the FB website should be decisive....I see no reason to avoid China Southern....miles and XP will be gained in fact in a lot of booking classes, much more as pre COVID.
https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/earn-sp...nes?country=NL
Yes, but I was wondering if the site is still up to date? It mention exception dates for 2019 to 2021.
And any idea on status benfits?
Old Jul 12, 2023, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Roberts1987
Yes, but I was wondering if the site is still up to date? It mention exception dates for 2019 to 2021.
And any idea on status benfits?
Indeed a weird thing that they still have blackout dates in the past.....but it would be very weird if XP and mileage awards would be totally outdated, that is something they never would get away with. 'Sky team benefits' are apparently benefit for 'the time being' and I have no clue since did not fly China Southern after COVID.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 12:11 pm

This from the AF website seems pretty positive...in the sense that if you have FB status you can use CS lounges etc.

https://wwws.airfrance.fr/en/informa...china-southern
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:51 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
I flew with CZ domestic W this past February. Miles and XP posted without a problem. No lounge though as it was a domestic flight.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for these replies! Will report back on my experience should I decide to go with CZ.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Verboten
I flew with CZ domestic W this past February. Miles and XP posted without a problem. No lounge though as it was a domestic flight.
Same for me 2 days ago on a domestic flight. Bought Premium Economy so I had lounge access thanks to that I guess, and not STE+.

XP posted as domestic Premium (4XP) within 24 hours, and so did miles.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 7:43 am

Domestic flights do not give lounge access with STE+....only international ones or connecting to international ones do.
offvoice and ofj like this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by atflyer
Domestic flights do not give lounge access with STE+....only international ones or connecting to international ones do.
Thanks for the explanation!

{OT} Is that the rule and there are some exceptions based on the airline? Like for instance AF granting Lounge access for domestic flights as STE+? Or do I get it only because I am AF STE+ (and say if I was Delta or CZ, I actually wouldnt get it)? {\OT}
Old Jul 16, 2023, 5:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by offvoice
Thanks for the explanation!

{OT} Is that the rule and there are some exceptions based on the airline? Like for instance AF granting Lounge access for domestic flights as STE+? Or do I get it only because I am AF STE+ (and say if I was Delta or CZ, I actually wouldnt get it)? {\OT}
SkyTeam rule only requires lounge access on international itineraries (for the purpose of this rule, the islands in the Caribbean are part of the US, just like for the purpose of the international business/first class rule, Canada and most of Mexico as well as the Caribbean are part of the US). It doesn't say anything requiring or prohibiting lounge access on domestic itineraries.

AFAIK, AF grants lounge access to all STE+ on domestic itineraries, though I suppose it might be possible at some point for one or another specific ST program to refuse to pay AF for the visits.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by hhdl
SkyTeam rule only requires lounge access on international itineraries (for the purpose of this rule, the islands in the Caribbean are part of the US, just like for the purpose of the international business/first class rule, Canada and most of Mexico as well as the Caribbean are part of the US). It doesn't say anything requiring or prohibiting lounge access on domestic itineraries.
Canada is international for DL. You have lounge access when being ST Elite+ and flying US-CAN route.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:47 am

Programs: FB Gold
Looking forward to feedback, it seems like you still get the perks of FB elite (access lounge, extra baggage allowance ?) on CZ even if they're not officially part of ST anymore.

Might be a consideration for me too if this turns out to be true.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.