China Southern - FM miles and status benefits

Old Jul 18, 2023, 4:28 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
As said, AF website suggests you have STE+ perks including lounge access. Although I have learned in a missing miles case not to trust their website fully anymore....info on website about status miles bonus wrongly explained.

https://wwws.airfrance.fr/en/informa...china-southern
Old Oct 26, 2023, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Hello all,

In the end pulled the trigger and flew China Southern: Amsterdam-Beijing-Chongqing and Chongqing-Guangzhou-Amsterdam.

My experience:
  • Impossible to add FF number during booking or in MMB
  • Handled by KLM in Schiphol, so went to the Sky Priority desk. Agent was able to add my Platinum FF number, boarding passed then showed "Elite Plus" and "CZ Priority"
  • Access to Crown Lounge was easy, the usual scanning of the boarding pass was sufficient for a green light. So I guess lounge access is definately an official benefit
  • Staff at the domestic lounge in Beijing Daxing was absolutely clueless, it took three barely English speaking people to get me in. There was a sign saying "Partner Elites" so that's what I kept pointing to that. In the end I was let in, not sure if they actually understood or if they just relented thinking we'll never be able to explain why this guy can't come in
  • On the way back, status was already printed on the boarding passes again. Didn't use a lounge in Chongqing.
  • In Guangzhou, I was able to enter the lounge (with a guest) very easily, scanning of the boarding pass was sufficient
  • Miles were posted within 24 hours of each flight
So all in all, a relatively good experience in terms of status recognition!
NickB, L4ibsch, Verboten and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 1:58 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Roberts1987
Hello all,

In the end pulled the trigger and flew China Southern: Amsterdam-Beijing-Chongqing and Chongqing-Guangzhou-Amsterdam.

My experience:
  • Impossible to add FF number during booking or in MMB
  • Handled by KLM in Schiphol, so went to the Sky Priority desk. Agent was able to add my Platinum FF number, boarding passed then showed "Elite Plus" and "CZ Priority"
  • Access to Crown Lounge was easy, the usual scanning of the boarding pass was sufficient for a green light. So I guess lounge access is definately an official benefit
  • Staff at the domestic lounge in Beijing Daxing was absolutely clueless, it took three barely English speaking people to get me in. There was a sign saying "Partner Elites" so that's what I kept pointing to that. In the end I was let in, not sure if they actually understood or if they just relented thinking we'll never be able to explain why this guy can't come in
  • On the way back, status was already printed on the boarding passes again. Didn't use a lounge in Chongqing.
  • In Guangzhou, I was able to enter the lounge (with a guest) very easily, scanning of the boarding pass was sufficient
  • Miles were posted within 24 hours of each flight
So all in all, a relatively good experience in terms of status recognition!
Thanks for the follow-up, I have a flight at year-end with them. Only issue is that my first leg is on BA (with a BA flight n), so not too hopeful that the extra checked bag allowance will carry though.

Too bad this benefit will disappear 01/04/2024 (except when codeshared with AF/KL).
Old Oct 27, 2023, 8:13 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mlin32
Thanks for the follow-up, I have a flight at year-end with them. Only issue is that my first leg is on BA (with a BA flight n), so not too hopeful that the extra checked bag allowance will carry though.

Too bad this benefit will disappear 01/04/2024 (except when codeshared with AF/KL).
Why will the extra bag benefit disappear? Are you referring to the XP earning change? If so, Ben Lipsey indicated that the change only impacts earning XP. It has nothing to do with other partner benefits.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:08 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, KL Gold
Originally Posted by sehgalanuj
Why will the extra bag benefit disappear? Are you referring to the XP earning change? If so, Ben Lipsey indicated that the change only impacts earning XP. It has nothing to do with other partner benefits.
That would be good news. Is there an official statement from Ben (who appears to be a high-level exec of Flying Blue) somewhere on this matter?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:51 am

I just completed a trip to mainland China which involved multiple CZ segments at PKX, HRB, and CAN. I can affirm that FB Elites retain many of the benefits of CZ Elites. Basically, CZ Priority = Skypriority. So you can use their Priority check-in counters, contrle security, lounges with an international itinerary, and priority luggage benefits. I brought my physical FB Gold card with me and it was helpful in each case- the physical card techically expired last year, ever since AF/KLM went digital, but I still have the status.

It's probable that the front-line staff might be unaware, and will say "We left Skyteam a few years ago". But in each case I just kindly insisted (fluent mandarin speaker here) and they were always really nice and called their supervisor to verify, and in each case, was given the green light within a few seconds.

For lounge access, it seems they take a quick photo of your carte d'embarquement instead of scanning it.

I do hope we continue to retain these benefits as of April 2024......
Goldorak and maalloc like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:55 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold
Originally Posted by mlin32
I just completed a trip to mainland China which involved multiple CZ segments at PKX, HRB, and CAN. I can affirm that FB Elites retain many of the benefits of CZ Elites. Basically, CZ Priority = Skypriority. So you can use their Priority check-in counters, contrle security, lounges with an international itinerary, and priority luggage benefits. I brought my physical FB Gold card with me and it was helpful in each case- the physical card techically expired last year, ever since AF/KLM went digital, but I still have the status.

It's probable that the front-line staff might be unaware, and will say "We left Skyteam a few years ago". But in each case I just kindly insisted (fluent mandarin speaker here) and they were always really nice and called their supervisor to verify, and in each case, was given the green light within a few seconds.

For lounge access, it seems they take a quick photo of your carte d'embarquement instead of scanning it.

I do hope we continue to retain these benefits as of April 2024......
Were you also able to select seats in advance for free with the status? Or only at check in?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, M&M FTL, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite, Marriott Gold Elite,
Has anyone had any luck booking CZ long-haul business class (e.g. CAN-FRA, CAN-CDG) using FB Miles? There seems to be no availability at all the moment, so wondering whether they are restricting partner awards...When doing a search on China Southern Pearl Club there is definitely a lot of availability in J class.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by mijebsen
Has anyone had any luck booking CZ long-haul business class (e.g. CAN-FRA, CAN-CDG) using FB Miles? There seems to be no availability at all the moment, so wondering whether they are restricting partner awards...When doing a search on China Southern Pearl Club there is definitely a lot of availability in J class.
Could be indeed a partner limitation, but that's pretty normal. I think AF will always want you to fly on their JV partner MU from CDG

Last edited by mlin32; Jan 12, 2024 at 12:22 am Reason: bug on appli- showing only Y
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:22 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, KL Gold
Originally Posted by lucas21
Were you also able to select seats in advance for free with the status? Or only at check in?
I just completed my outbound and was able to select seats prior to check-in. Navigating the website to do so was a bit of a challenge. https://extint.csair.com/content/Tra..._en#/seatLogin worked for me. Don't click on the "Please select your country or region", but instead close the "window" with the small X to continue to the website where you can select seats. I was not able to login with either of the two PNR I had gotten, but the ticket number starting with 784 worked fine.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by L4ibsch
That would be good news. Is there an official statement from Ben (who appears to be a high-level exec of Flying Blue) somewhere on this matter?
To answer my own question; I just stumbled across this public statement.

Last edited by L4ibsch; Jan 21, 2024 at 8:36 am Reason: add Ben's public statement
Old Jun 14, 2024, 12:19 pm

So, after 1 April you cannot use your skyteam benefits? So me having FlyingBlue gold cannot check in an additional bag for free with China Southern?
Old Jun 14, 2024, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jeroen207
So, after 1 April you cannot use your skyteam benefits? So me having FlyingBlue gold cannot check in an additional bag for free with China Southern?
Benefits should still be there. Just no earning of XP.
Old Today, 12:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know if the lounge access is applicable for contract lounges? I'm looking at HND-CAN-CDG and can't find any information on lounge access in HND. Website has information for some of their international flights but not all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.