KLM voucher not accepted by AF

Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
KLM voucher not accepted by AF

Having worked my way through a comparative stack of AF flight delay vouchers for some AF vacation travel in the next months, i came across a voucher which the AF website wouldn't accept. Turns out it's a KLM voucher and AF doesn't accept KLM vouchers. Even though the vouchers were claimed by and "issued" by the AF website, and it's shown in my account page on the AF site as a voucher that can be used. (I had wanted to use both AF vouchers and this unknown KLM voucher as partial payments for a journey but that didn't work out, ended up paying with the AF vouchers and cash).
Seeing as our vacation travel is now booked and paid for and my "other" flights are paid for by my company, how do i practically use this KLM voucher going forward? Simply use the KLM website and app for any "incidentals" - extra baggage, SAF, business upgrades etc? I would hope that the AF and KLM sites both show the same prices.

Besides... is it just me or is it odd that they claim that a KLM voucher cannot be used through AF, even though they appear to be one and the same company with almost everything else shared?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
it's certainly super weird and abnormal. Just call and you'll be able to use the voucher. I know it's annoying but that's the only way in your case.
wuzziduzziman and FlyingCow like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 11:58 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
yes, had this issue several times. As I understand a voucher starting 074 can only be used on KLM Website, while a voucher starting 057 can only be used on AF Website. As the prices are (usually) the same, it did not make a difference for me so far.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:42 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by gkl
yes, had this issue several times. As I understand a voucher starting 074 can only be used on KLM Website, while a voucher starting 057 can only be used on AF Website. As the prices are (usually) the same, it did not make a difference for me so far.
the issue is when you want to use two vouchers - one issued by KL and one issued by AF - you can't do that online, but need to call. best option is to proceed to the payment page. by then you got a PNR - you can use the PNR when talking to the phone agent without the need to assemble the journey again via phone.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 1:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by gkl
Same here, that's also my experience.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
thanks all, i'll apply all that where applicable.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 3:33 am
Suspended

my sister had this a few years ago, 5 years later it's amazing that this has not been fixed. I concur, they are 2 separate companies, but they share the same system... would it be so complicated to tell the system to accept 074 and 057 vouchers ?
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Flight options and prices are certainly not always the same between AF and KL pages. I find that, more often than not, the AF website offers more flight options/connections compared to KLM. May be route dependent but for travel to the America's this has been my experience.
The doomed likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Hi,

Air France/KLM is the same company with Delta airlines as the parent.

Didn't you ever disembark an Air France KLM aircraft and see the hybid alliance, Air France KLM Group?

They merged back in early 2004.

You need to resolve this via telephone, just some imperfections showing.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 12:31 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by MurrayCutt
Hi,

I don’t know where you got that idea but (according to Wikipedia) the biggest investors in AFKL are:
  • French state: (28.6% equity, 28.5% voting power)
  • Dutch state: (9.3% equity, 10.7% voting power)
  • CMA CGM: (9% equity, 8.3% voting power)
  • China Eastern: (4.7% equity, 5.6% voting power)
  • Delta: (2.9% equity, 4% voting power)
BA850, irishguy28 and hhdl like this.

Last edited by NLpio; Aug 11, 2023 at 1:15 am
Old Aug 11, 2023, 2:02 am

Hi,

Didn't you ever disembark an Air France KLM aircraft and see the hybrid alliance, Air France KLM Group?.
Honey I don't know where in the Helicopter you find these things... But you need to stop having midnight conversations at the ATL airport hotel bar with Ed Bastian when he's too tipsy like that.

Also this is not at all related to the topic.

The two brands might be under one holding but this is legally a matter of sales. 074 are any EMD related to a sale done by KLM in any of their markets (US, NL, UK, etc.) and 057 by AF in any of their markets (FR, US, CH, etc) Legally, the contract was made and agreed between you and only one company so you can only ask the same company to redeem the voucher. (It's actually even a bit more complex than that but too long to explain.) Agents on the phone are able to transfer the value of the voucher to the respective company in order to execute the new sale.

You can find great info about EMD here : Link. And more specifically to AF and KL ones here : Link. (Even if published for a very specific time in aviation. Structure is the same)

Last edited by on.the.bowery; Aug 11, 2023 at 3:58 am
Old Aug 11, 2023, 3:08 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
(...) Air France/KLM is the same company with Delta airlines as the parent. (...).
AF and KLM are 2 different companies with the same owner, in the same manner as British Airways and Iberia which are owned by IAG.
hhdl and irishguy28 like this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

This is wrong.

EU airlines cannot be owned by non-EU entities; the combined holdings of all non-EU shareholders is not allowed to go above 50% of the total.

This graphic dates from April 2021 (I couldn't find a more recent graphic from a credible source); Delta owned less than 6% of AF-KLM at that time. Their holding has been diluted even further since then.
Attached Images  
hhdl and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 4:08 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Several post have been removed. Please stay on topic and refrain from negative comments of a personal nature.

Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
Air France/KLM co-moderator
Old Aug 13, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Hi There

Originally Posted by irishguy28
This is wrong.

EU airlines cannot be owned by non-EU entities; the combined holdings of all non-EU shareholders is not allowed to go above 50% of the total.

This graphic dates from April 2021 (I couldn't find a more recent graphic from a credible source); Delta owned less than 6% of AF-KLM at that time. Their holding has been diluted even further since then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.