Award Ticket holds

Old May 10, 2023, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.
Award Ticket holds

hi I remember air france allowing 3 day holds over the phone for award tickets. but I called today and the agent said no but he also said we never allowed it. should I just call again or am I crazy?
Old May 11, 2023, 10:00 am

Never heard of it. But they usually don't charge you any fees on modifications/cancellations that happen within the first 24 hours after booking. Happened to me quite a few times after receiving price alerts on award tickets.
Old May 11, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by barryguevremont
Never heard of it. But they usually don't charge you any fees on modifications/cancellations that happen within the first 24 hours after booking. Happened to me quite a few times after receiving price alerts on award tickets.
That works fine if you have the miles, but if you need the hold so you can transfer miles into your account, that strategy doesn't work.
Old May 18, 2023, 10:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Two days ago an agent put an award on hold for me over the phone. Emailed me the PNR and flight info and it appeared in My Trips section of the website. The points were not deducted at the time nor did they take cc info. This was for a single flight operated by AF. I did have the points available in my account. Agent said I had 72 hours to call them back to finalize. Meanwhile I found a better flight and ticketed that myself online. I went in to cancel the hold ticket bc was worried it would look like I was double booked, but it would not allow me to do anything at all with the held rez. So I called and another agent canceled it.
Old May 19, 2023, 1:25 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum
Same experience on a revenue ticket, it was valid for 48 hours or more and disappeared automatically when it expired. Made the booking over the phone.
Guess it depends on the agent?
Old May 21, 2023, 10:55 am

One trick is to book but have the payment fail on purpose (mistake in credit card). This will retain the booking for a couple hours, I don't remember for how long though (24 hours?).
Stgermainparis likes this.

Last edited by flyingbluealertscom; May 22, 2023 at 10:58 am
Old May 22, 2023, 1:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Most holds now are either a day or an hour, nothing in between.
b12e likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
I encountered an issue booking an award and got the message to call FB.

Agent offered a 72hr hold.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 2:03 pm

I've done 72 hour holds as recently as a couple month ago. Though the second agent I spoke to (when actually booking) claimed that holds aren't guaranteed. Not sure I believe that though, otherwise you veer into Seinfeld car reservation territory.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Hi All,

I put a KLM operated award on hold and was quoted a price of 65000 miles. Now I transferred the miles and called to book, the hold is still valid but they are saying I need to pay 180,000 miles. They said there is nothing they can do. Has anyone had a similar experience or any advice?
Old Sep 1, 2023, 11:54 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meli silver.
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Hi All,

I put a KLM operated award on hold and was quoted a price of 65000 miles. Now I transferred the miles and called to book, the hold is still valid but they are saying I need to pay 180,000 miles. They said there is nothing they can do. Has anyone had a similar experience or any advice?
Must have been a misunderstanding. Ticket was not on hold.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
That works fine if you have the miles, but if you need the hold so you can transfer miles into your account, that strategy doesn't work.
Originally Posted by flyingbluealertscom
One trick is to book but have the payment fail on purpose (mistake in credit card). This will retain the booking for a couple hours, I don't remember for how long though (24 hours?).
Originally Posted by bk3day
I encountered an issue booking an award and got the message to call FB.

Agent offered a 72hr hold.
Hi All,

Any recent data points regarding whether AF/FB offers complimentary over the phone 72 hour hold for award bookings?

Trying to get 4 J tickets EU US this fall. Two bookings of two people (different credit card points). We both have the points but don't want to liquidate until we know for sure we can get ticket.

Some of the blogs I see from Google seem to think 72 hour hold is still a thing today. Would love to see if anyone here on FT has recent experience.

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2024, 11:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by purdue1015
Any recent data points regarding whether AF/FB offers complimentary over the phone 72 hour hold for award bookings?
There's nothing official. Some agents will do it, and other won't. If you're Plat/Ulti then contacting the PSL/TA might get you a higher chance of success with this. But a year ago, as Plat, on the PSL an agent insisted she wasn't allowed to do this. Most of the time, I found that HUCA worked well in those situations. It is rare I try to hold award tickets, so perhaps someone else can give you better info.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 11:09 am

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2024, 11:06 am

I just held an award ticket for 3 days. Called KLM at 1-800-375-87253 and pressed Flying Blue in the phone tree, entered my Flying Blue number. Agent came on, said it was $30 to hold the ticket (ticketing fee for using an agent). I am waiting for Chase Rewards points to post to KLM and didn't want to lose the award flight. She gave me a Booking Code and said that once the miles posted, to call back and they will finish the booking. I can see the flight under My Trips. I'm not sure if it is $30 per person or per booking, and I don't really care. That's a small price to pay to not worry about these business class reward seats disappearing before my point transfer shows up!
Goldorak and purdue1015 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.