Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Buying basic economy Air France/KLM fares from OTA as a DL Diamond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Last year, I bought a basic economy AF/KL fare directly from AF and KL. After entering my DL # and paying for the fare, I was able to select a set and still have checked luggage. If I were to buy basic economy fare from an OTA, will I have free seat selection and at least one checked luggage as a DL Diamond?

Thank you!
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:16 am

Yes, AFKL does not have the same "basic economy" that DL has where seat selection, even for a fee, is expressly excluded.

AFKL "Light" fares don't include a seat (but one may be selected for a fee or complimentary based on FFP status) or bags (but bags may be added for a fee or again come complimentary based on FFP status). That is the only difference between light and standard (which includes both those things).

In general it is not recommended for a SkyTeam Elite or above member to use the "standard" fares, unless they need to bring more than one bag (in which case it works out a bit cheaper to get the standard fare because of how bag fees work with multiple items and the elite allowance.)
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Yes, AFKL does not have the same "basic economy" that DL has where seat selection, even for a fee, is expressly excluded.

AFKL "Light" fares don't include a seat (but one may be selected for a fee or complimentary based on FFP status) or bags (but bags may be added for a fee or again come complimentary based on FFP status). That is the only difference between light and standard (which includes both those things).

In general it is not recommended for a SkyTeam Elite or above member to use the "standard" fares, unless they need to bring more than one bag (in which case it works out a bit cheaper to get the standard fare because of how bag fees work with multiple items and the elite allowance.)
If I were to buy the basic economy fare from an OTA, how do I select my best for free? The price difference between the OTA and buying direct from AF/KL is high enough that I can justify purchasing from the OTA.

I only need to check one bag so the light fare is perfect for me. What happens if I have another passenger on the fare, but have no elite status?

Is the free seat selection only for DL Diamonds or anyone with SkyTeam Elite Plus status like DL Gold, DL Platinum, and AF Platinum?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:32 am

You use the PNR given to log in to the MMB on AF or KL's website just like normal.

If you have another person on the reservation without status they will not get the relevant benefits. But as I said anything you need you can add after the fact and simply pay extra; the light/standard difference is only what comes included. This as opposed to flex fares which come with added flexibility and which include skypriority neither of which can be purchased separately.

Free standard seat selection should be available for all STE(+) though being a KL member myself I'm slightly unsure of the exact workings there. DL elites specifically should be treated as KL elites for the purposes of seat selection options.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You use the PNR given to log in to the MMB on AF or KL's website just like normal.

If you have another person on the reservation without status they will not get the relevant benefits. But as I said anything you need you can add after the fact and simply pay extra; the light/standard difference is only what comes included. This as opposed to flex fares which come with added flexibility and which include skypriority neither of which can be purchased separately.

Free standard seat selection should be available for all STE(+) though being a KL member myself I'm slightly unsure of the exact workings there. DL elites specifically should be treated as KL elites for the purposes of seat selection options.
So light fare only gives me one free bag as a DL Diamond or to only DL status that comes with STE+?

Don't I already get SkyPriority as a DL Diamond since that comes with STE+?

Well, I know I was able to select a seat for free on both AF and KL basic economy last year as a DL Diamond. I don't know if I will re-qualify this year. I might fall to either DL Platinum or DL Gold, but they're still both STE+. It would be great if I am still select seats on basic economy fares for free.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 6:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold

So if booking a DL-metal flight with a Light/Basic Economy fare, it's always better to book with a AF/KL code if one has STE/E+ status? Then free seat selection will always be allowed on the Delta website?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Tim_94
So if booking a DL-metal flight with a Light/Basic Economy fare, it's always better to book with a AF/KL code if one has STE/E+ status? Then free seat selection will always be allowed on the Delta website?
There should usually be more to consider here rather than just avoiding a seat selection fee (which is always in your power anyway - just don't select a seat).

And I'm not sure the way you've framed the question is valid. I understood this thread as being about a DL Diamond's experience with AFKL fare familes on AFKL flights. It's not about "gaming" your experience on Delta, or circumventing Delta's regime on Delta-operated flights. Just because AFKL do something one way, you can't make Delta dance to AFKL's tune by buying a Delta operated flight as a codeshare from AF/KL.

I'm not sure that you can circumvent the operating carrier's seating rules by buying it from a partner - you would still probably have to go to the DL website to select your seats, and therefore would be subject to their seating regime regardless of where or how you bought that ticket for what is, ultimately, a Delta-operated flight.

If you book a DL-metal flight with an AF/KL code, it could also have implications for your earning and/or (re-)qualification in your chosen Skyteam FFP. (While in Flying Blue it would have no impact on the XPs you earn, it could have a marked impact on the amount of miles you earn - probably to your benefit, certainly if you have FB status. However, the same might not be true for all other Skyteam FFPs - it's very dangerous to be so absolutist and throw in that word "always". In Skymiles, it could have an impact on your (re-)qualification - doesn't Delta have some requirement that you spend a certain number of dollars with them? If you start buying their flights from AFKL, can you state that that won't slow down a Skymiles flyer's ability to (re-)qualify for status in that programme? I must admit, I don't know much about how Skymiles operates, but I suspect that buying DL flights under their AFKL flightcodes would not be something a status-chasing Skymiles flyer would benefit too much from)

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 6, 2023 at 7:12 am
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
There should usually be more to consider here rather than just avoiding a seat selection fee (which is always in your power anyway - just don't select a seat).

And I'm not sure the way you've framed the question is valid. I understood this thread as being about a DL Diamond's experience with AFKL fare familes on AFKL flights. It's not about "gaming" your experience on Delta, or circumventing Delta's regime on Delta-operated flights. Just because AFKL do something one way, you can't make Delta dance to AFKL's tune by buying a Delta operated flight as a codeshare from AF/KL.

I'm not sure that you can circumvent the operating carrier's seating rules by buying it from a partner - you would still probably have to go to the DL website to select your seats, and therefore would be subject to their seating regime regardless of where or how you bought that ticket for what is, ultimately, a Delta-operated flight.

If you book a DL-metal flight with an AF/KL code, it could also have implications for your earning and/or (re-)qualification in your chosen Skyteam FFP. (While in Flying Blue it would have no impact on the XPs you earn, it could have a marked impact on the amount of miles you earn - probably to your benefit, certainly if you have FB status. However, the same might not be true for all other Skyteam FFPs - it's very dangerous to be so absolutist and throw in that word "always". In Skymiles, it could have an impact on your (re-)qualification - doesn't Delta have some requirement that you spend a certain number of dollars with them? If you start buying their flights from AFKL, can you state that that won't slow down a Skymiles flyer's ability to (re-)qualify for status in that programme? I must admit, I don't know much about how Skymiles operates, but I suspect that buying DL flights under their AFKL flightcodes would not be something a status-chasing Skymiles flyer would benefit too much from)
Thanks for your detailed reply. I see how this may be the wrong thread, however the above reply here suggested a difference in "light" fares between the carriers; I was just curious to see if this was still the case as the subject of seat selection was raised (and I have seen in older threads that light fare rules have indeed varied depending on the marketing carrier). Happy to raise this question elsewhere and apologies if my use of the word "always" was problematic
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
The most recent threads on this (AFAICS) are that AFKL Light on DL metal books into Basic, which means no advance seat selection, regardless of status in any program (I believe, though have never experimented, that such fares will simply show every seat as unavailable at any price, which likely complies with the letter of the SkyTeam rules). AFKL Light on DL metal does, however, earn meager elite credit and miles in SkyMiles which is better than the DL Basic fare (which earn no elite credit or miles in SkyMiles). In general, from an elite qualification and miles earning perspective, the rule in SkyMiles is that it's better to book cheap flights under partner code and expensive flights under DL code.

For DL Basic, the lack of advance seat assignment is tempered by their long-haul fleet being 767s (2-3-2: 1 middle out of 7 seats), A330s (2-4-2; 2 middles out of 8 seats), and A350s (3-3-3; 3 middles out of 9 seats) with only a few longhaul routes right now operated by 757s (or in a couple of years A321s). Since the practical gate seat assignment order in Basic is now (or will soon be, given likely USDOT scrutiny) minors with accompanying adults in pairs of seats in the back, then DL elites, then other SkyTeam elites, then no status, the odds of an elite getting stuck in a middle seat are fairly slim (though the window/aisle you get will likely be towards the back of the cabin, which has implications if connecting).
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
So light fare only gives me one free bag as a DL Diamond or to only DL status that comes with STE+?
Free bag is given to all STE.

Don't I already get SkyPriority as a DL Diamond since that comes with STE+?
Yes. But you can also buy SP by getting a flex fare (just like you can buy it by buying a premium cabin ticket.)

Well, I know I was able to select a seat for free on both AF and KL basic economy last year as a DL Diamond. I don't know if I will re-qualify this year. I might fall to either DL Platinum or DL Gold, but they're still both STE+. It would be great if I am still select seats on basic economy fares for free.
KL doesn't have a Diamond status, so Diamond and Platinum are considered equal.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:13 am

Sadly, not anymore. But this used to be the case, yes.

Now, AFKL Light books into Basic Economy on DL metal. My answer was assuming an AFKL flight, not a DL codeshare.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:21 am

Now, AFKL Light books into Basic Economy on DL metal.
Thank you for clarifying - I will be sure to remember this has changed next time I book a DL-metal flight! At the moment a similar loophole exists with Virgin where you can book AFKL "light" on VS metal and get VS "Economy Classic" with free standard seat selection on their website. I've done it twice now, but no doubt that will end at some point and we'll have to select a standard economy fare with AFKL to get the benefit...
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now, AFKL Light books into Basic Economy on DL metal. My answer was assuming an AFKL flight, not a DL codeshare.
Whoa? When did this change? I could have sworn this wasn't an issue in June 2022. So even if I can't pick a seat for free, will I earn Delta MQMs and SkyMiles on an AF/KL basic economy fare?

Thank you for clarifying - I will be sure to remember this has changed next time I book a DL-metal flight! At the moment a similar loophole exists with Virgin where you can book AFKL "light" on VS metal and get VS "Economy Classic" with free standard seat selection on their website. I've done it twice now, but no doubt that will end at some point and we'll have to select a standard economy fare with AFKL to get the benefit...
​​​​​​​What about a DL-marketed basic economy fare, but VS-operated? Will I get a free seat selection as a DL elite?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Whoa? When did this change? I could have sworn this wasn't an issue in June 2022. So even if I can't pick a seat for free, will I earn Delta MQMs and SkyMiles on an AF/KL basic economy fare?
It is indeed a fairly recent change though I don't know exactly when. And again not being a SkyMiles member I don't know exactly how the earning there works for such fares. Reading what DL has to say about it, it should be a KL-marketed fare operated by a SkyTeam partner airline (DL) so I believe it *should* earn. But it's also possible they book into a fare class that isn't listed and so don't earn.

Caveat: many non-stop flights between AMS and the US on DL metal, while ticketed by KL, are in fact DL-coded and thus would probably earn according to DL's standard rules for DL-marketed flights, meaning that booking into Basic Economy would not be eligible for earning.

So generally speaking I'd avoid AFKL 'Light' fares if they are operated by DL.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by CyBeR; Mar 6, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Old Mar 7, 2023, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It is indeed a fairly recent change though I don't know exactly when. And again not being a SkyMiles member I don't know exactly how the earning there works for such fares. Reading what DL has to say about it, it should be a KL-marketed fare operated by a SkyTeam partner airline (DL) so I believe it *should* earn. But it's also possible they book into a fare class that isn't listed and so don't earn.

Caveat: many non-stop flights between AMS and the US on DL metal, while ticketed by KL, are in fact DL-coded and thus would probably earn according to DL's standard rules for DL-marketed flights, meaning that booking into Basic Economy would not be eligible for earning.

So generally speaking I'd avoid AFKL 'Light' fares if they are operated by DL.
So if I were to book the AF/KL-marketed, but DL-operated basic fare, when selecting a seat on DL's website, it'll ask for payment?

When it comes to earn rate, wouldn't I be using the chart on DL's website using the marketing carrier's fare code?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.