Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Buying basic economy Air France/KLM fares from OTA as a DL Diamond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying basic economy Air France/KLM fares from OTA as a DL Diamond?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2023, 3:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
What about a DL-marketed basic economy fare, but VS-operated? Will I get a free seat selection as a DL elite?
Not sure. I know Virgin lets their eiltes (Flying Club Silver & Gold) choose standard seats in Economy Light, so one would hope that they will be recognising STE/E+ status and allowing them to do the same.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by Tim_94; Mar 7, 2023 at 3:27 am
Old Mar 7, 2023, 4:29 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CyBeR
It is indeed a fairly recent change though I don't know exactly when. And again not being a SkyMiles member I don't know exactly how the earning there works for such fares. Reading what DL has to say about it, it should be a KL-marketed fare operated by a SkyTeam partner airline (DL) so I believe it *should* earn. But it's also possible they book into a fare class that isn't listed and so don't earn.

Caveat: many non-stop flights between AMS and the US on DL metal, while ticketed by KL, are in fact DL-coded and thus would probably earn according to DL's standard rules for DL-marketed flights, meaning that booking into Basic Economy would not be eligible for earning.

So generally speaking I'd avoid AFKL 'Light' fares if they are operated by DL.
Interesting, when did that change? My last TATL flight on DL metal using a KLM light fare mid-february was business as usual. No Y+ upgrades on the DL flight untill day of depature, earnings like always. Just did a dummy booking fo a flight mid march AMS-NYC including an DL segment on a light fare: nothing changed.
Regarding the DL coded flights when booked via KL/AF: i was NEVER able to get the TATL segments as DL coded, always the AF/KL code share flight numbers. Only domestic US segments might book as DL coded ( if there is no code share number for that flight ). Also they can't book into basic economy with Delta as Delta only books "E" into basic eco, a fare class not sold by AF/KL
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
Interesting, when did that change? My last TATL flight on DL metal using a KLM light fare mid-february was business as usual. No Y+ upgrades on the DL flight untill day of depature, earnings like always. Just did a dummy booking fo a flight mid march AMS-NYC including an DL segment on a light fare: nothing changed.
Regarding the DL coded flights when booked via KL/AF: i was NEVER able to get the TATL segments as DL coded, always the AF/KL code share flight numbers. Only domestic US segments might book as DL coded ( if there is no code share number for that flight ). Also they can't book into basic economy with Delta as Delta only books "E" into basic eco, a fare class not sold by AF/KL
February 2023?
Tim_94 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 4:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
My experience has been different, I find that many TATL Delta flights are now offered on KLM.com with the original DL codes rather than the KL codeshare. Last year I wanted a KL code to benefit from Flying Blue's promotion of 50% bonus XP on AF/KL coded flights, so I called Flying Blue, who eventually found the same flight with the KL code for me.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 6:37 am

Seems to be a case of "YMMV". I've just tried to book a BER-NYC flight for april 28th-30th on the german KLM site, no chance to pick any DL coded flight. Everything is KL coded. Light fares book into N/L/U as usual.
Same on the AF site: AF coded flights only, including all DL operated flights. No change visible here.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Tim_94
So if booking a DL-metal flight with a Light/Basic Economy fare, it's always better to book with a AF/KL code if one has STE/E+ status? Then free seat selection will always be allowed on the Delta website?
In short: YES. To clear this up: you can only buy a LIGHT fare from KL/AF, not from Delta. The same as you can only buy a basic economy fare from Delta, not AF.
When you buy a Light fare from AF/KL ( 057/074 ticket ) you will have free seat selection on Delta operated flights - in main cabin only. No upgrades into Y+ even for Diamonds untill DoD as you technical on a KLM flight. Earnings will be as usual as the light fares book in to L/N/U/V fare buckets and not into "E" which is the one that earns nothing with Skymiles.
When you buy a basic economy fare with DL ( 006 ticket ) you will be out of luck as an Skymiles member, no seat selection, no earnings ( but free luggage based on your STE+ status ).
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:38 pm

Seems to be a case of "YMMV". I've just tried to book a BER-NYC flight for april 28th-30th on the german KLM site, no chance to pick any DL coded flight. Everything is KL coded. Light fares book into N/L/U as usual.
Same on the AF site: AF coded flights only, including all DL operated flights. No change visible here.
You seem to have skipped the part where I said "non-stop".

Your examples involve a connection which is a situation that does book onto KL-coded flights. Look up non-stop flights from AMS (or CDG) to the US with no connecting flight in the US either and you will find them DL-marketed. For example, AMS-JFK on DL47 or DL49.

but connecting:

(KL6020 is DL47)
lsquare and Tim_94 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:45 pm

AS a DL Silver, I can tell you from personal experience:
  • I get a free bag on KL Light fares;
  • I can select a seat for free for myself and at least one companion
  • On DL metal, even with a KLM purchased ticket, no free seat.
AFAIK, the free seat for elites on Light fares is not documented anywhere. In fact, if you look at the fare rules (I don't have Expert Flyer currently so can't cut and paste it), the KLM Light fares have the same verbiage as DL Basic Economy fares saying no seat selection allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.