Miles with KLM booked by another airline

Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, TK ELP, LA PASS Black, FB Platinum
Miles with KLM booked by another airline

I have tomorrow a flight with KLM. The flight was originally a flight with LH. Because of the strike tomorrow in Germany LH rebooked me on a KL flight. Usually you get miles by costs of the ticket when flying AF/KL. But this ticket is issued by LH. The flyingblue sites don't help. The flight is booked in Business (Z). How much miles will I earn on FB?

I am also thinking to credit the miles with DL. But last times it didn't work accumulate miles with a skyteam partner when ticket was issued by staralliance member
Old Feb 16, 2023, 10:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by JorgeGomez
I have tomorrow a flight with KLM. The flight was originally a flight with LH. Because of the strike tomorrow in Germany LH rebooked me on a KL flight. Usually you get miles by costs of the ticket when flying AF/KL. But this ticket is issued by LH. The flyingblue sites don't help. The flight is booked in Business (Z). How much miles will I earn on FB?

I am also thinking to credit the miles with DL. But last times it didn't work accumulate miles with a skyteam partner when ticket was issued by staralliance member
Worst case, call the FB Plat line and they can try to help you out.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 12:36 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Two options depending on what miles you want. If you want LH miles -> claim with them miles for original routing. If you have an FB account, fill in the PNR or ticket number (LH should have given that) there to retrieve the flight and link it to your FB account, and see what it says as expected XP and miles. Or add the FB number when doing check in.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
How much miles will I earn on FB?
8 miles per Euro at the rate that LH paid; however, Flying Blue recently seems to have clamped down on "double dipping" in cases like this, and I would not expect to earn any FB miles for this rebooked flight. If you do, just consider it a bonus. In the past, it should not have been an issue to get miles in Flying Blue for this rebooked ticket, AND to get miles from Lufthansa (ORC, "original routing credit") based on the flight that you were supposed to take, but couldn't due to issues outside your control (the Ver.di strike), but they seem pretty keen now, on the Flying Blue side, at ensuring tickets such as this won't earn in Flying Blue, leaving you with the only option of retroclaiming the ORC from Lufthansa.

See the excerpt from 2.7 of the T&Cs posted below. And yes, unfortunately FB will easily see that this was a replacement flight booked by LH and it is therefore well within their power to recognise this as a ticket for which miles and XP can be denied.

Make sure to add your Flying Blue number during check-in and you will be entitled to all your usual Flying Blue status benefits.

And make sure to claim the miles for the original flight from Lufthansa; in theory (if not in practice) these may be the only miles you'll get for this trip.

You're probably right that it won't credit for any Skyteam airline. But try with FB first (seeing as you are Platinum there). If it doesn't earn in FB it will probably not earn in Skymiles, but if you have a Skymiles account and the few minutes spare to do whatever you have to do to lodge a retroclaim with Skymiles, no harm trying there. However, given that it will have a 220 ticket number, and given that they may be able to see that you already tried to claim miles in FB, I am pretty sure Skymiles will also reject any claim.

Good luck, and please report your experiences back in this thread! (i.e. - please try claiming, and eventually retro-claiming, and let us know what happens!)
Attached Images  
Maestro Ramen likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 17, 2023 at 3:03 am
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
You will not get any mileage or XP.

If you try to retroclaim, you will get a message "This ticket is not eligible for mileage earning".

Been there, done that. Got the M&M miles and segments though.
Maestro Ramen likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.