Flying Blue miles expiration date?

Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:46 pm

Exclamation

I have 75k FB points expiring at the end of the month.

I'm 99.9% sure these points came in from Citi or Chase transfers. I transferred in 1000 points from both Amex and Chase and they are not extending.

I called FB and they cannot help me, have "no idea" where the points came from. Any ideas?

This is what my balance looks like:

74,999 MILES

72999 valid until 31 Mar 2024
2000 valid until 31 Mar 2026
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by mrdrum18

I'm 99.9% sure these points came in from Citi or Chase transfers. I transferred in 1000 points from both Amex and Chase and they are not extending.

I called FB and they cannot help me, have "no idea" where the points came from. Any ideas?

74,999 MILES

After the initial citi/chase transfer, did you credit flight miles to FB ? If so, you most likely converted them all to flight miles
and now need to credit a flight to extend them. As I posted earlier, Delta BE works as well and takes about 3 days to credit.

Good luck !
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:38 pm

74,999 MILES

You can only transfer miles in multiples of 1,000 (only the old SPG program allowed its Platinum elite and above to transfer in smaller quantities, as I recall). So that number (72,999) suggests some miles have been earned or redeemed, in addition to transfers.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:57 am

Another way to save miles/extend expiration - Family pooling

I recently found out that FB allows family pooling with an interesting twist - Any transferred miles are extended by 2 years from transfer date.
I was able to transfer a few residual flight miles from my spouse to my account and expiration is now 2 years out for those.

On the flip side, these are yet another class of FB miles - Family miles. Not sure the order of redemption of these vs. personal miles.

HTH !
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by lanb
Another way to save miles/extend expiration - Family pooling

I recently found out that FB allows family pooling with an interesting twist - Any transferred miles are extended by 2 years from transfer date.
I was able to transfer a few residual flight miles from my spouse to my account and expiration is now 2 years out for those.

On the flip side, these are yet another class of FB miles - Family miles. Not sure the order of redemption of these vs. personal miles.

HTH !
good to know but only flight miles will extend by 2 years. transferreed miles from CC will not extend other miles
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:33 pm

good to know but only flight miles will extend by 2 years. transferreed miles from CC will not extend other miles
Ah, yet another FB twist I suppose. I think these companies spend more time and effort in coming up with these gotchas instead of keeping it simple.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lanb
Ah, yet another FB twist I suppose. I think these companies spend more time and effort in coming up with these gotchas instead of keeping it simple.
Actually, historically, it is not so much a "gotcha" as the other way around: originally, the rules were very simple: the only way to keep miles from expiring was to take a (miles and status earning) flight. The problem with that was that people who did not fly but acquired miles via an ancillary manner with non-flying partners would stand to lose their miles after a while. They therefore added new rules to allow that constituency to avoid miles expiry, but at the cost of greater complexity in the system.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 9:19 am

In post 4 of this thread it talks about two different buckets of miles. I will only have miles from non flying activity ( cc transfers).
I've read posts hows its extended for some but not all.
If all my miles will be accrued through cc transfer will additional transfers extend it ? Or this is YMMV? Flying on an award ticket would not extend it correct?

Thanks
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
An additional transfer or miles purchase will extend validity for non-flying miles, but will not extend flying mile validity.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 1:24 am

So I earned 4k miles by flying on DL Dec 23. Had a balance of about 16K. Had a
​​ 14k partner redemption in April 24.

I did a chase transfer today to take advantage of the 25% bonus. All my miles were extended 2 full years. Interesting the 2k flight miles were also extended
Old Jun 14, 2024, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I’m about to cancel an award that was paid for with transferred Amex miles. Does the award redeposit reset the expiry or do the miles expire two years from original transfer date? I’m assuming they stay transferred miles even though we’re temporarily an award ticket. Is that right?
Old Jun 15, 2024, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Im about to cancel an award that was paid for with transferred Amex miles. Does the award redeposit reset the expiry or do the miles expire two years from original transfer date? Im assuming they stay transferred miles even though were temporarily an award ticket. Is that right?
Yes, redeposit doesn't extend expiration.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2024, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tth6133
Yes, redeposit doesn't extend expiration.
Okay. Thanks. Now I know that doing another transfer later will reset.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.