Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Is There Some Way to Book a Multi-City or Open Jaw Online at the Light Fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:03 am
Original Poster

As has been discussed last year, it seems that klm.com does not allow the booking of a Light fare as multi-city or open jaw (except for open jaw within the same country.)

Is there any way to book such an itinerary online at a Light fare, or does one have to go to call the reservation number? It's been a very long time since I made a flight reservation by talking to a person.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
As has been discussed last year, it seems that klm.com does not allow the booking of a Light fare as multi-city or open jaw (except for open jaw within the same country.)

Is there any way to book such an itinerary online at a Light fare, or does one have to go to call the reservation number? It's been a very long time since I made a flight reservation by talking to a person.
I thought when I had issues it defaulted to Light, or you could use the checkbox on the search to get Flex - but whatever the middle one is called was not available. Going from memory though, I thought a two-leg multi-city gave the normal screen (so all choices) but three or more legs locked you in.

I did manage to get a fare selection page when landing from Google Flights eventually, but it was very buggy.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
I thought when I had issues it defaulted to Light, or you could use the checkbox on the search to get Flex - but whatever the middle one is called was not available. Going from memory though, I thought a two-leg multi-city gave the normal screen (so all choices) but three or more legs locked you in.

I did manage to get a fare selection page when landing from Google Flights eventually, but it was very buggy.
I just double checked. It gives you the option before you search of searching for a flex fare - but if you don't tick the flex fare box, it only provides Standard fares, no Light fares.

I tried to outsmart it by making a reservation at the standard fare, and then calling up the reservation and seeking to modify it. That almost worked, except it wanted to charge the $199 change fee, even though I was well within the 24 hour free cancellation window.

Google flights does not do well with multi-city itineraries.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:14 am

I just double checked. It gives you the option before you search of searching for a flex fare - but if you don't tick the flex fare box, it only provides Standard fares, no Light fares.

I tried to outsmart it by making a reservation at the standard fare, and then calling up the reservation and seeking to modify it. That almost worked, except it wanted to charge the $199 change fee, even though I was well within the 24 hour free cancellation window.

Google flights does not do well with multi-city itineraries.
I've just tried the app and klm.nl on simple open-jaws - both giving me the option to choose my fare. Sounds like the oppposite of your experience?

On three or more legs I never got a choice, but the default was a Light fare rather than standard.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:23 am
Original Poster

I've just tried the app and klm.nl on simple open-jaws - both giving me the option to choose my fare. Sounds like the oppposite of your experience?

On three or more legs I never got a choice, but the default was a Light fare rather than standard.
Strange - I just tried open jaw SFO to MXP and BCN to SFO and it gives me the Standard fare with no option for Light.

On the other hand, if the open jaw is between two cities in the same country - e.g., into MAD and back from BCN - then you get the choice of Light, Standard, Standard Plus, and Flex.

What open-jaw itineraries gave you the option .to choose a Light fare? I'll give it a try and see what result I get.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:35 am

Strange - I just tried open jaw SFO to MXP and BCN to SFO and it gives me the Standard fare with no option for Light.

On the other hand, if the open jaw is between two cities in the same country - e.g., into MAD and back from BCN - then you get the choice of Light, Standard, Standard Plus, and Flex.

What open-jaw itineraries gave you the option .to choose a Light fare? I'll give it a try and see what result I get.
Ah! I was using WAW and GDN. Changed one to BUD and don't get a choice - but what I'm seeing is a Light fare. Maybe long haul vs short haul...? If you go into the "Trip Details" and "View fare details" what are the change fee and baggage allowance? I've got no hold luggage and €70 change, so that's definitely Light.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Ah! I was using WAW and GDN. Changed one to BUD and don't get a choice - but what I'm seeing is a Light fare. Maybe long haul vs short haul...? If you go into the "Trip Details" and "View fare details" what are the change fee and baggage allowance? I've got no hold luggage and €70 change, so that's definitely Light.
I think you got it right.

If I try AMS - WAW and then back BUD - AMS it gives me the fare with the €70 change fee. So for long-haul it defaults to the Standard fare, and for short-haul it defaults to the Light fare.

Makes no sense, but that's how they have it.
etiene likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:00 pm

I think you got it right.

If I try AMS - WAW and then back BUD - AMS it gives me the fare with the €70 change fee. So for long-haul it defaults to the Standard fare, and for short-haul it defaults to the Light fare.

Makes no sense, but that's how they have it.
...which was a long way of finding out that you probably have to call.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

...which was a long way of finding out that you probably have to call.
Right. At least in the US, there is no booking fee for bookings made by phone.
etiene likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can be searched on ITA Matrix and brought up on Priceline using bookwithmatrix.com

Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:05 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
That's a standard fare, not a light fare.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
Can be searched on ITA Matrix and brought up on Priceline using bookwithmatrix.com

KLM has a surcharge of about $19 each way on fares bought from online travel agents. This surcharge is hidden, but you can see it if you dummy book a simple transatlantic round-trip on klm.com and then dummy book the identical itinerary on Expedia. You can also see it if you look at a round-trip from the US to Europe on a non-stop KLM route on Expedia, the corresponding Delta fare will be $38 less on a round-trip basis than the fare displayed for KLM.

Also, as we all know here, it is better to book directly with the airline whenever possible. So probably best to just call and book over the phone, even though I have a resistance to not seeing my itinerary in front of me when I book.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
The display says $75 for checked bag, which is free with a Standard fare in the transatlantic market. Suggests that it is not a standard fare.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Nope, they are Light fares. AF/KL Light fares have a 'B' in second to last letter of fare basis code these days (just like DL BE fares). RLX86NBL and VLX86NBL fares are both AF Light fares as indicated by the 'B' in second to last letter. AF/KL don't have a reserved booking class for Light fares like DL has for BE fares (E class), so they can only be identified by their fare basis codes.
vic.d likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 12, 2023 at 8:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.