Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM Award Ticket Downgraded - Compensation Options?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
KLM Award Ticket Downgraded - Compensation Options?

Hello, I have been trying to work with KLM via Twitter about a downgraded award seat. I used 30K miles to book a premium economy one way from AMS-JFK for mid February. I received an email that the aircraft was changed and that there would be no Premium Economy class on the new aircraft so they have put me in Economy. The Twitter route has been completely useless. They won't answer my question on what the compensation would be - I have read EU261 (c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments. - But how do they figure it if it is an award seat? And could I ask for compensation and to be put on another flight (different time) if I accept the downgrade? Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by odie11
Hello, I have been trying to work with KLM via Twitter about a downgraded award seat. I used 30K miles to book a premium economy one way from AMS-JFK for mid February. I received an email that the aircraft was changed and that there would be no Premium Economy class on the new aircraft so they have put me in Economy. The Twitter route has been completely useless. They won't answer my question on what the compensation would be - I have read EU261 (c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments. - But how do they figure it if it is an award seat? And could I ask for compensation and to be put on another flight (different time) if I accept the downgrade? Thanks!
If you change to a different flight probably in the new one there will be Premium Economy.
In such a case I would not expect any compensation.
jsn55 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by more4less
If you change to a different flight probably in the new one there will be Premium Economy.
In such a case I would not expect any compensation.
There is no other nonstop flight available with premium economy that's why I was asking if I accept the downgrade to economy, would I be able to also switch flight times to another flight too.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
There is no other nonstop flight available with premium economy that's why I was asking if I accept the downgrade to economy, would I be able to also switch flight times to another flight too.
I believe there is no compensation for the downgrade since they gave you 4 weeks notice. You will be due the difference in miles between economy and PE though. I know KL uses dynamic award pricing so don't let them fob you off saying ahh actually economy is more expensive than what you paid so no difference.. make sure it is the difference between what you paid and the cheapest mileage requirement at any time.

I assume you are booked on the 13th Feb. If you can't move to a different date then I think they should be able to move you to a different flight on the same day if you ask for it.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pogonation
I believe there is no compensation for the downgrade since they gave you 4 weeks notice. You will be due the difference in miles between economy and PE though. I know KL uses dynamic award pricing so don't let them fob you off saying ahh actually economy is more expensive than what you paid so no difference.. make sure it is the difference between what you paid and the cheapest mileage requirement at any time.

I assume you are booked on the 13th Feb. If you can't move to a different date then I think they should be able to move you to a different flight on the same day if you ask for it.
Thank you for this. I paid 30,000 miles plus $207 dollars. An economy ticket on the same flight is now/and was when I booked 15,000 and $156. So since it is more than 4 weeks out I should expect no compensation but I should get 15,000 miles back plus $51. Kind of a bummer because I moved Amex miles for this flight so now I will have 15,000 miles sitting in FB. And yes the flight is on Feb 13. The earlier flights are 25,500 miles. I wonder if I ask to move if they will charge me at that mileage an then only refund 4,500 miles.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pogonation
I believe there is no compensation for the downgrade since they gave you 4 weeks notice.
This is incorrect. The "more than 14 days" notice only matters for Article 7 compensation (i.e. compensation for delayed arrival or early departure. The OP is still entitled to downgrade reimbursement under Article 10. For an award, you need to take the number of miles used for that leg and apply the multiplier (75% for long-haul). You would also be entitled, in addition to that, to the differential in tax between the class booked and the class flown, if any.
For a revenue ticket, you would take 75% of the portion of the fare for the leg concerned (tax excluded) +tax differential.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB
This is incorrect. The "more than 14 days" notice only matters for Article 7 compensation (i.e. compensation for delayed arrival or early departure. The OP is still entitled to downgrade reimbursement under Article 10. For an award, you need to take the number of miles used for that leg and apply the multiplier (75% for long-haul). You would also be entitled, in addition to that, to the differential in tax between the class booked and the class flown, if any.
For a revenue ticket, you would take 75% of the portion of the fare for the leg concerned (tax excluded) +tax differential.
Thank you NickB- So at that rate, if I paid 30,000 miles I should expect 22,500 returned to me in compensation. and then the $51 which is the difference in taxes? I just want to be prepared to advocate for myself if need be!
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you NickB- So at that rate, if I paid 30,000 miles I should expect 22,500 returned to me in compensation. and then the $51 which is the difference in taxes? I just want to be prepared to advocate for myself if need be!
Yep, exactly.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
An unusual case. Thanks NickB for the sharp insight
Old Jan 1, 2023, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Will be interested in your success in receiving anything. I was downgraded on a domestic segment on a paid AF business class ticket in June 2022 with international and domestic segments and after interminable delays and a note from AF/KLM indicating confirming I was entitled to compensation. I later received an email from KLM closing my claim stating I "did not respond to their requests for information" sent to my correct email then a subsequent email (December 2022) denying my claim because I did not provide them with boarding passes indicating my wife and I actually flew these segments in economy. The whole process seems designed to deny a straightforward claim (I have ample evidence the tickets were paid and confirmed J and reissued in Y for the segments in question) regardless of EC261 rules and even AF concession that compensation is merited.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:50 pm

I am also in a similar situation where I booked SFO-AMS for Feb in economy back in August for 40k total (20k for me and partner each), then called back in October to change flights to Premium Comfort for 80k total (40k each). Got an email in November saying that due to some operational issue my flight was changed to a plane without Premium Comfort class and I was downgraded back to Economy. I called Flying Blue and they said I can claim compensation after I take the flight for 75% of flight cost and they also said I should expect a refund for the change fee from the Economy to Premium Comfort award change cost (50 euros?). I am expecting 60,000 points back when I file for compensation since 80,000 was what was charged from my account. I will report back after everything is done and settled but if anyone has any details about this situation that may differ than what was discussed between customer support and I, I would like to know
Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingtooclosetothesun
I am also in a similar situation where I booked SFO-AMS for Feb in economy back in August for 40k total (20k for me and partner each), then called back in October to change flights to Premium Comfort for 80k total (40k each). Got an email in November saying that due to some operational issue my flight was changed to a plane without Premium Comfort class and I was downgraded back to Economy. I called Flying Blue and they said I can claim compensation after I take the flight for 75% of flight cost and they also said I should expect a refund for the change fee from the Economy to Premium Comfort award change cost (50 euros?). I am expecting 60,000 points back when I file for compensation since 80,000 was what was charged from my account. I will report back after everything is done and settled but if anyone has any details about this situation that may differ than what was discussed between customer support and I, I would like to know
I just hung up with Flying Blue and they also said I need to take the downgraded flight before the compensation would be given. They also said if I take the compensation, I could no switch to the earlier flight - it is one or the other. They could move me to premium economy on a different date but I am now concerned that maybe that plane will also be changed. I was also told that I had to pay for a window seat if I took the downgraded economy and the compensation. I have never used miles for FB before, is it standard that if you book an economy award ticket with them, you still have to pay for a "preferred" seat?
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:04 pm

I was downgraded and rebooked into my current seats in Economy without any additional charges however if I wanted to do a seat change right now to either another standard seat or preferred seat it would cost money.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Just as an added data point. I have been checking for a possible premium economy seat on a nonstop flight on the same day to open up and the aircraft was changed again back to one that has premium economy seats so I was able to get rebooked back into premium economy. It might be worth watching.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Just as an added data point. I have been checking for a possible premium economy seat on a nonstop flight on the same day to open up and the aircraft was changed again back to one that has premium economy seats so I was able to get rebooked back into premium economy. It might be worth watching.
And that's precisely why compensation is never paid out before your flight. Until you've actually flown, you haven't actually been downgraded.

In your case, when you are warned in advance, there are options (and you had a bit of luck that the plane was restored for the day of your flight - but depending on how far in the future your flight is, beware that it could be downgraded again) to explore that can prevent you from actually needing to travel in a lower class. However, if nothing works, and you end up travelling in a lower class, then the compensation would be due.
Goldorak, DiamondMile and hhdl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.