Old May 18, 2023, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Xandrios
The free stopover benefit was announced about six months ago, however, users are still experiencing difficulties in booking. I've pulled info and data points from this thread to summarize what is known to date:

1. The booking cannot be made online; it can only be done by calling Flying Blue
2. Users report the max stopover is 1 year
3. Expected pricing: per a post from mbspiegel, also referencing an OMAAT post. Use Flying Blue's mileage estimator (go to flyingblue.us, click "Earn & Spend Miles," then "On flights," then scroll all the way to the bottom). Price each segment separately as well as the single itinerary from AtoC. Note that the calculator is not always 100% correct, make sure to search a few dates to see if there are no other amounts on offer. Taxes are the sum of all taxes that would be charged on the individual segments.

Example estimator quotes:
65K miles for SFO to AMS
97.5K miles for AMS to KGL
95K miles for SFO to KGL
The whole journey with free stopover should be bookable for 95K miles.

4. Availability: In order to get the lowest possible pricing, you must find availability for each segment using the the lowest pricepoints found in the mileage estimator. In the above example, mbspiegel found availability which listed the segments and 65K and 97.K respectively.
5. Per feralized Inform the agent you want to book a free stopover and you understand the way to accomplish this is in manual mode. "When I asked her what she did differently, she mentioned that in the back-end, they have 2 modes - Automatic and Manual. She says that this type of booking must be done in manual mode, and that the agent needs to put both legs in, and not just the origin to final destination."
6. HUCA until you get an agent who is familiar or willing to try booking for you in manual mode

Print Wikipost

Air France & KLM Free Stopover - New Benefit?

Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Air France & KLM Free Stopover - New Benefit?

With both airlines adding the free stopover benefit, I called AF twice about booking a J award redemption for YYZ > BCN that has a layover in Paris but would want to turn it into a stopover so I can spend a week there with my cousin. Both agents I spoke to dont know how to make that booking happen claiming their supervisors said that its not doable on their end too.

Has anyone successfully booked it with an agent over the phone that includes the free stopover? Please let me know how you did it.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 3:33 am
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
Vice-President of Flying Blue announced this in Actober during a webinar. He said that is was probably already implemented and otherwise on very short notice. Now, 20 December 2022 nobody at KL/AF or FB has any clue what I am asking. It has not been implemented, and if it has, the agents do not know how to book it. I have called FB in English and in Dutch, Dutch Platinum Service line, The Dutch ultimate Desk, The French Platinum Serivce line, they all did not know about or maybe heared something but no idea when it will be possible.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 3:42 am

My friend already did it twice... Will cost 130e to.be done.. you have to call again
Old Dec 20, 2022, 3:43 am
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
Originally Posted by Wil973
My friend already did it twice... Will cost 130e to.be done.. you have to call again
Good news, who did your friend call? En pay 130 euros? they announced it would be free so that makes no sense...
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 4:31 am

I booked an award ticket with a 7 months stopover two days ago . Called the French platinum service line, at first they did not understand what I was asking for, but I just asked them to have the two flights on the same ticket and it priced as I expected. I was put on hold for quite a long time, the agent might have had to contact Flying Blue to book this. I did not have to pay any fee, and certainly not 130€.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Katzz
I booked an award ticket with a 7 months stopover two days ago . Called the French platinum service line, at first they did not understand what I was asking for, but I just asked them to have the two flights on the same ticket and it priced as I expected. I was put on hold for quite a long time, the agent might have had to contact Flying Blue to book this. I did not have to pay any fee, and certainly not 130.
Exactly what i did, but not waiting, the person was not aware but tried right away pricing a ticket with 2 month stopover and it worked to her surprise, she thanked me for letting her know
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Presumably, whether you have anything to pay if changing will depend on whether the taxes are increased as a result of the stopover.
milesaddict likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 8:10 am

There's no Multi-city award booking option, so I guess the current methodology is a) do test searches for your dates to find low fare availability then b) call and have booking done. For someone who is transferring points in, it is always difficult to pull the trigger on the transfer without at least seeing availability.

Is the stopover option available on one ways as well as RT ?
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Katzz
I booked an award ticket with a 7 months stopover two days ago . Called the French platinum service line, at first they did not understand what I was asking for, but I just asked them to have the two flights on the same ticket and it priced as I expected. I was put on hold for quite a long time, the agent might have had to contact Flying Blue to book this. I did not have to pay any fee, and certainly not 130.
Im not sure how Id be able to reach the French Platinum Service, I dont have that status unfortunately and Im in the US. Was yours for a one-way flight?

Also I did try to tell the agent to put the two flights in one ticket but they told me that the cost becomes higher than what I was seeing on the app. The 82,500 miles for YYZ > BCN with layover in CDG becomes 160,000 if I ask them to add the stopover in CDG.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
There's no Multi-city award booking option, so I guess the current methodology is a) do test searches for your dates to find low fare availability then b) call and have booking done. For someone who is transferring points in, it is always difficult to pull the trigger on the transfer without at least seeing availability.

Is the stopover option available on one ways as well as RT ?
Ive tried both methodologies and the cost becomes higher than what Id hope to pay for.

From what Ive read, its only for one-way award tickets.
xooz likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by wanderinglily
Ive tried both methodologies and the cost becomes higher than what Id hope to pay for.

From what Ive read, its only for one-way award tickets.
So, my thinking was:
- Find a one way connection flight for the departure date I prefer that has the right price (in points)
- Find a second one way connection flight that "connects" on the same day I want to end my stopover and travel onward
- Call and ask to book the stopover flight for those dates where it's clear that seats are available at the lowest price

Sounds like you had an increased charge... are you sure it was not due to lack of availability in the lower fare class for your connecting flight/date?
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
So, my thinking was:
- Find a one way connection flight for the departure date I prefer that has the right price (in points)
- Find a second one way connection flight that "connects" on the same day I want to end my stopover and travel onward
- Call and ask to book the stopover flight for those dates where it's clear that seats are available at the lowest price

Sounds like you had an increased charge... are you sure it was not due to lack of availability in the lower fare class for your connecting flight/date?
Thats exactly how I asked the agents but no it wasnt due to lack of availability, I had pretty good prices for the dates I planned. Its just frustrating that even their supervisors/managers say that it cannot be done at all.

I might have to try calling Flying Blue then? The agents I spoke to were from AF.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: AF Plat Ultimate, BA GGL, MS Elite
After many calls to the Ulti line, I gave up after hearing it's forbidden many times.., I reached out to FB on the chat, it was done smoothly, once the PNR was created, I just called the Ulti line to pay, yet I still had the agents saying it's a mistake and the FB agent will be punished one refused to issue my ticket
An experience to forget. I'm stunned by the lack of training, not the best feeling as a passenger.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:06 am

Im not sure how Id be able to reach the French Platinum Service, I dont have that status unfortunately and Im in the US. Was yours for a one-way flight?
Yes it was for a one-way flight. If you don't have platinum status you won't be able to reach the line, but they are visibly not better informed than regular agents. Maybe I was just lucky. Your best bet seems to try with the FB chat like milesaddict.

I might have to try calling Flying Blue then? The agents I spoke to were from AF.
Your best bet seems to be the FB chat, like milesaddict. Neither the AF agents nor the FB agents knew on the phone knew about stopovers.

Originally Posted by milesaddict
After many calls to the Ulti line, I gave up after hearing it's forbidden many times.., I reached out to FB on the chat, it was done smoothly, once the PNR was created, I just called the Ulti line to pay, yet I still had the agents saying it's a mistake and the FB agent will be punished one refused to issue my ticket
An experience to forget. I'm stunned by the lack of training, not the best feeling as a passenger.
It's weird that they even refused to issue your ticket. Actually I had several agents (a mix of AF and FB agents) on the phone, none of them was aware of the stopover possibilty and it was sometimes complicated to make them understand the concept, but one of them just said "hey, that's a really good deal" when he saw the price of my award, another just did what I asked her and she ticketed the reservation without question (she clearly had no clue what she was doing, she just followed my instructions), and all of them were trying to help.
But I agree, it's certainly not a good customer experience.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
This is truly incredible to see so many AFKL agents unaware of this, while it's been officially announced by FB. Here is a screenshot of the last FB email I received on 8 DEC. It's clearly mentioned as a new possibility.

And here is the link to FB site where it is also mentioned.
https://www.flyingblue.com/fr/news/r..._content=Offer
milesaddict likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.