Regarding Baggage Allowance Er - Air France

Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Regarding Baggage Allowance Er - Air France

Hi,

I booked a return ticket from São Paulo, Brazil to Delhi, India through Air France website. While booking the Economy Light, it said 1 handbag + 1 personal item (12 kgs) and 1 Check In Baggage (23 kgs) are allowed. After I booked and made the payment, my ticket just shows 1 handbag + 1 personal item only and does not mention the check in bag.

I have sent a message on the automatic FB messenger of the Airlines, and with my reference number, it just shows -
can bring the following: 1 hand baggage item(s) 1 accessory 0 checked baggage item(s)

*Screenshots attached for reference -

Please advice what to do.
Thanks in advance
Old Dec 16, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
I can confirm that all through booking, Light shows 1 piece of baggage allowed. I am not logged in.

Unfortunately I don't have much to tell you other then send an email that will hopefully be replied to by an actual person, not a bot.

And prepare to pay for the baggage on the airport and then fight for a refund.
rhtjuneja likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by rhtjuneja
I booked a return ticket from São Paulo, Brazil to Delhi, India through Air France website.
Brazil is one of the few countries (and, ironically, India is another) where one free checked baggage item is always given. I assume this is for legal reasons (i.e. these countries require by law that at least one bag can be checked free of charge)

You will *not* be charged to check one bag upon departure or on your return journey (as long as you observe the size and weight restrictions)

https://wwws.airfrance.com.br/en/baggage-allowance

rhtjuneja likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. Really appreciate it.

I checked this before booking. As well as while booking it showed me the same allowance.
Refer - ibb. co/ 9bvNZNN for the screenshot I took to confirm the luggage allowance (please remove the added spaces in the URL, as I am not yet allowed to attach a link or picture as user here)

But after I booked the ticket, it does not show this and just shows the personal item and handbag.
Refer - ibb. co/ 6JNgqXR for my reservation stating the luggage allowance

I did approach to customer service through their chat function in Messenger and WhatsApp. One did confirm that i can take 23 kg check - in luggage but the other one said i cannot. And i cannot even BUY extra baggage online. Buying extra is not an issue but then the Booking was misleading as they said i could. I would have never picked Light economy if i knew there would be this hassle.

Not sure what to do now, since i have already paid and it's not refundable. Only option i think would be taking the bag and paying on the counter if they don't accept.

Thanks and Regards
Old Dec 16, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by rhtjuneja
Only option i think would be taking the bag and paying on the counter if they don't accept.
That's exactly what you should do. Given that there is a legal requirement as irishguy28 says, it is unlikely they will, but if they do, you can claim it back from Air France.
rhtjuneja likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 2:33 am

Programs: FB Club 2000, M&M Hon
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Brazil is one of the few countries (and, ironically, India is another) where one free checked baggage item is always given. I assume this is for legal reasons (i.e. these countries require by law that at least one bag can be checked free of charge)

You will *not* be charged to check one bag upon departure or on your return journey (as long as you observe the size and weight restrictions)

I wonder why GRU-CDG and CDG-DEL as separate flights (with a light fare) gives you 0 checked bags.
rhtjuneja likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
I believe the issue is that the display of fare perks (luggage, seat selection, rebooking, refund) is just a mess on the website that you cannot fully trust. often it does not show SkyPriority perks even though I am logged in as platinum member, there are issues regarding the display of flexibility so weird that even flex fares are supposed to be not rebookable according to the booking engine.
the only reliable source is your e-ticket. whatever is printed on the e-ticket should reflect your allowance correctly.
JOUY31 and rhtjuneja like this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 2:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Brazil is one of the few countries (and, ironically, India is another) where one free checked baggage item is always given. I assume this is for legal reasons

No, there is no legal requirement for free check in luggage to or from Brazil, neither domestic nor international.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Dear All,

Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

I got my updated ticket after talking to the customer care. There was probably a error in displaying on the previous one I think. But now it shows that I am allowed to check-in 23 kg baggage.

Thanks a lot!
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for your support and suggestions.

I got my updated ticket with correct luggage mentioned (with 1 * 23 kg check-in bag) after talking to the customer care for a few times. Really relieved that it worked. It was supposedly an error on portal/account as well on my ticket.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.