Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Adding Lap Infant to Multi Airline Award Ticket Booked via Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Aeroplan 35K; United Premier Silver, AAdvantage Platinum Pro

I have an award ticket that I booked via Delta, DPS-TPE with China Airlines, TPE-AMS also with China Airlines and AMS-ORK with KLM (all in J).

I need to add a lap infant to this ticket. I have successfully been able to contact China Airlines and they issued a lap infant ticket for their 2 flights. I've called KLM 3 times now and they insist that they can't do it. They are giving me the usual, "you will need to contact the airline you booked the ticket with". They are saying that it's their policy not to issue lap infant tickets when the adult ticket has been issued by someone else. On my last attempt, I made sure to call during daytime hours in Netherlands and I called their local Netherlands number in the hope that I got in contact with someone that could help.

I also just asked, can you sell me a one-way ticket for an infant, and they said no because an adult would also need to be on the same booking. I'll try calling another couple of times, but I'm thinking about a back-up if they won't issue the ticket.

So currently the booking has 3 tickets, 2 adults on Delta stock for DPS-TPE-AMS-ORK and 1 infant ticket on China Airlines stock for DPS-TPE-AMS. Could I just make a brand new booking (in Y for cost purposes) for the AMS-ORK flight for 1 adult and 1 infant? That would mean that the infant would have a ticket for AMS-ORK, however one of the adults would actually have 2 tickets for the same flight, 1 in J and 1 in Y?

Another option would be to contact Delta and just get the to drop the AMS-ORK leg altogether and we could book that separately for 2 adults and 1 infant. Havings it all on the one ticket was preferrable though as it was no extra cost to add on AMS-ORK on the Delta booking, plus we had the security of a single ticket in the event that we were delayed getting into AMS.
HansGolden likes this.

Last edited by fudgelie; Oct 5, 2022 at 10:34 am
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by fudgelie
(...)I'll try calling another couple of times, but I'm thinking about a back-up if they won't issue the ticket.(..) Another option would be to contact Delta and just get the to drop the AMS-ORK leg altogether and we could book that separately for 2 adults and 1 infant. Havings it all on the one ticket was preferrable though as it was no extra cost to add on AMS-ORK on the Delta booking, plus we had the security of a single ticket in the event that we were delayed getting into AMS.
Calling KLM again and again is definitely what I would do first, as their policy makes no sense in your case.

Then, if you contact Delta, why not ask THEM to issue the lap infant ticket? They may be able to do that.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Aeroplan 35K; United Premier Silver, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Calling KLM again and again is definitely what I would do first, as their policy makes no sense in your case.

Then, if you contact Delta, why not ask THEM to issue the lap infant ticket? They may be able to do that.
My understanding is that is that it's standard practise on Delta award tickets for partner flights that they will tell you to contact the airline operating the flight for an infant ticket. However I will definetly try and get Delta to issue the ticket if I'm at the stage where I'm callling them to drop the AMS-ORK segment. I've probably made it more complicated now though as China Airlines have aready issues an infant ticket for 2 segments, I'd be asking Delta to issue an infant ticket for a partner airline for 1 segment of a 3 segment itineary.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carnarvon

​​​​​​​4th time's a charm, got KLM to issue the ticket. The funniest call was where they told me they could not issue the ticket because the flight was operated by a subsidary airline. Maybe that's true, it's KLM Cityhopper? They said it's marketed by KLM by not operated by them. I asked him for the name of the airline, his accent was quite difficult to understand so I asked him to spell it out, 'Subsidiary Franchise Airlines' he spells out. I asked for a contact number, which he gave me and I then called, "Welcome to American Airlines"...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.