Wiki Posts
Search

Infant award travel (with seat)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Infant award travel (with seat)

Hi all,

Apologies if this was asked before, but I couldn't locate an answer for my particular situation. We are based in the US and are planning to fly "home" to Europe for Christmas. Our baby was just born this August, so he's well in the infant range. I was hoping to use some AMEX points since it seems the rates on KLM/AF are pretty good these days. However, it looks like you can't book award online for an infant and my understanding is you'd have to call and pay 10% for the in lap infant. So that's the first option I am considering.

However, the CHILD option seems pretty compelling – just 110k points total (40k+40k+30k) + ~$400 for 2 adults and 1 child. So my question is, has anyone booked an award CHILD ticket for an infant? I am still unable to do it online as it checks for the age, but has anyone done this over the phone?

Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:23 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
A paid-for infant ticket is your only option.

It's in the Flying Blue T&C:
To travel with a child younger than two (2) years of age, an adult travelling with a Reward Ticket must make a reservation for the infant with the airline on which the Reward Ticket is issued, according to the applicable tariff rates of the applicable airline.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
A paid-for infant ticket is your only option.

It's in the Flying Blue T&C:
Just to close the loop on this one – I was able to make the booking over the phone several times already. Sounds like it depends on who the agent is - in one case the taxes were a tad higher, in the other exactly the same as for the adult booking, while miles were 25% less.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Jan Cisar
Just to close the loop on this one – I was able to make the booking over the phone several times already. Sounds like it depends on who the agent is - in one case the taxes were a tad higher, in the other exactly the same as for the adult booking, while miles were 25% less.
what were the final numbers?

how much miles was a adult ticket and how much were taxes?

how much miles was infant in own seat and taxes?

thx
Old Feb 16, 2023, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Miles used

Originally Posted by webazoid
what were the final numbers?

how much miles was a adult ticket and how much were taxes?

how much miles was infant in own seat and taxes?

thx
One way, SFO-PRG - adults in economy 25k miles + 74.9 Euro in taxes, infant 22K miles + 74.9 Euro in taxes on the last booking.

On the previous booking, infant was less miles (roughly 80% of the adult booking) but taxes were higher by ~10%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.