Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

What happens if I miss an AF flight due to incoming [AC] flight being late?

Old Sep 4, 2022, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E50k, MM

I am flying Toronto to Paris CDG via Air Canada and then flying on to Bordeaux via AF. What happens to my AF ticket from Paris-Bordeaux if my AC flight into Paris is delayed so that I miss the second flight? Note that this are on separate tickets with each airline.

The flight that I am taking from Toronto to CDG is AC872 which is delayed very often. I will have about 3:30 to make my connection at CDG. It looks like AC uses terminal 2A and Air France uses 2F. Any idea how long it takes to get between those terminals? And do I have to redo security? Presumably I have to do passport control, but on past trips to France (pre-Covid) coming though CDG they barely looked at my passport.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
If you miss your flight it's your problem and you can pay to change your ticket since it's on separate PNRs.
FlyingCow likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E50k, MM
Thanks. Is there any way to get the PNRs (what is that by the way) merged?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wayner92
NO.

I don't know what immigration lines are like in 2A, but 2A and 2F are in the same big building. (BTW, AF uses additional "terminals" beyond 2F at CDG.) You do need to go through airport security, but IME security lines are fine at CDG; it's the exit passport control lines when leaving the Schengen zone (roughly, "Europe" or the EU) at CDG that can be bad. Note that I'm answering from the perspective of someone using 2E and 2F at CDG with a USA passport.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PNR - passenger name record. The 6 character reference. But the e-ticket number is what is important
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_name_record
PNR's cannot be merged

Why did you not buy as 1 PNR/ticket? With separate tickets that a risk you choose to take.
You do not have a "connection". Just 1 flight ending at an airport and another departing from the same airport.
Check you travel insurance.
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

Edit
Same trip cross posted--->Questions about missed connections on another airline
Asking the question many times will not get a different answer. FT is not the airline

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 4, 2022 at 7:50 pm
Old Sep 4, 2022, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
As other said, you will have to pay for a new ticket or if flexible any change fee and fare adjustment.You can't link the 2 PNR. With 3.5 hrs between the 2 flights, I believe you're fine. It's hard to know how long it will take you to clear immigration in 2A. Once you did that and collected your bags (if any), it will take you 10 to 15 min to walk to 2F. You will clear security in 2F
FlyingCow and irishguy28 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by wayner92
No. You decided to enter separate contracts with separate companies (though even if both tickets were bought with AF, itineraries cannot be "merged" after purchase in a way that would absolve you of the responsibility of bearing the cost of a misconnection). You cannot now "merge" those tickets or contracts.

If you miss your AF flight - even if it is Air Canada's "fault" - because you chose to buy these tickets separately in this manner, you absolve both airlines of any culpability in trying to "repair" the journey. If you are late for your AF flight, you will lose that flight, and any further sectors on that Air France ticket will also be cancelled. If you wish to travel with AF on to Bordeaux, you will have to pay for a new ticket.
mlin32 and rt23456p like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I assume that you are booked on AF7624 departing at 12:20 while AC872 is scheduled at 8:45.

It can take a long time to "enter" France, as immigration lines can be long in the morning. Then you have to walk from 2A to 2F (a log walk), then pass security again.
If you AC872 is delayed by over 2.5 hours, as it was in the past two days, it will be difficult to make the connection.

The good news is that there are many AF flight, the next one at 13:45.
The bad news is that you will lose your AF ticket if you are a noshow. Maybe try to get on the AF App when you land and change your ticket for the next available flight online. Or do it at YYZ if your flight shows a very long delay.

Last edited by brunos; Sep 6, 2022 at 1:56 pm
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by brunos
If you AC872 is delayed by over 23.5 hours, as it was in the past two days, it will be difficult to make the connection.
Impossible some might even say.
irishguy28 and brunos like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO.

I don't know what immigration lines are like in 2A, but 2A and 2F are in the same big building. (BTW, AF uses additional "terminals" beyond 2F at CDG.) You do need to go through airport security, but IME security lines are fine at CDG; it's the exit passport control lines when leaving the Schengen zone (roughly, "Europe" or the EU) at CDG that can be bad. Note that I'm answering from the perspective of someone using 2E and 2F at CDG with a USA passport.
I passed through 2A immigration last week around 7:30 AM. Using No 1 access it took less than 5 minutes. I didnt see any lines at the PARAEF gates but the normal immigration line was backed up.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:55 pm

I have done the same recently AC to AF on separate tickets. (YUL-CDG-CPH)
1. You will pass through security in 2A follow the signs to connecting flights. Show your onwards boarding pass at the No 1. Access (they will let you through).
2. Proceed to the shuttle bus leaving from T2A for T2F.

When I did it, it took less then an hour, from leaving the AC aircraft until arriving at T2F.

Edit: changed immigration for security

Last edited by Stil; Sep 6, 2022 at 3:22 pm
Old Sep 6, 2022, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Stil
2. Proceed to the shuttle bus leaving from T2A for T2F.
This is valid only if no checked luggage to collect and already checked in for the next flight. This bus is for airside connection only.
Stil likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
This is valid only if no checked luggage to collect and already checked in for the next flight. This bus is for airside connection only.
My mistake I meant security not immigration. I didn't pass immigration only security. I stayed airside all the way from T2A to T2F. I didn't have any boarding pass for my onwards AF flight, but it was OK with just the ticket in the AF app. I got my boarding pass in the AF lounge.
I was travelling light though. As you rightly point out, no chance if checked luggage.

Added: If wayner92 doesn't have an onwards boarding pass it could be a chance, but it worked for me.

Last edited by Stil; Sep 6, 2022 at 4:05 pm
Old Sep 8, 2022, 2:13 pm

If you have checkin luggage you need to check if there is an interline agreement so your bags can be sent to your next flight. If not, you have to exit collect and to drop off your luggage.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by R_za
If you have checkin luggage you need to check if there is an interline agreement so your bags can be sent to your next flight. If not, you have to exit collect and to drop off your luggage.
An interline agreement allows two airlines to sell flights on their respective airlines on a single ticket and to correspondingly allow luggage to be checked all the way through.

We know the OP doesn't have a single ticket, so the fact that there is an interline agreement between AF and AC is of no relevance because the OP didn't buy an interlined ticket.

It is all but guaranteed that AC will refuse to check this passenger's bags onto AF
Goldorak and SkyteamEP like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 9, 2022 at 12:40 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.