Thoughts on BOS/JFK - AMS - ATH very late August?

Old Jul 8, 22, 10:42 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Rhode Island
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive Elite
Posts: 77
Thoughts on BOS/JFK - AMS - ATH very late August?

With all the issues in travel currently, (and I know no one has a crystal ball), would it be foolish of me to book flights from BOS/JFK - AMS - ATH around 27/28th of Aug?
Daremo999 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 22, 10:50 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold; BA Rust
Posts: 26,765
Do yourself a favour and book yourself on one of the direct non-stop Delta services from BOS (DL240, 3*weekly) or JFK (DL202, daily; DL212, 4*weekly).

There's also a daily flight on AA out of Kennedy.
36902BRF, fifty_two and offvoice like this.
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 22, 11:14 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Rhode Island
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive Elite
Posts: 77
I know! I'm trying to do it with points for Business class (we are taking her parents on a trip with us and would be nice to splurge). I have enough points to do it through FB, but its 3x that cost in points on DL...
Daremo999 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 22, 11:36 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: EDI
Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Posts: 396
Originally Posted by Daremo999 View Post
With all the issues in travel currently, (and I know no one has a crystal ball), would it be foolish of me to book flights from BOS/JFK - AMS - ATH around 27/28th of Aug?
As long as you don't book a short connection you should be OK as you are only transiting AMS. The big problems are getting into the airport in the first place.
Ardecos is offline  
Old Jul 8, 22, 2:22 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Rhode Island
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive Elite
Posts: 77
Originally Posted by Ardecos View Post
As long as you don't book a short connection you should be OK as you are only transiting AMS. The big problems are getting into the airport in the first place.
Flight I have in mind has a 3 hour layover in AMS.
Daremo999 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 22, 4:41 pm
  #6  
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: WAW / TBS
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Accor Platinum / Hilton Diamond / TAP Miles&Go Gold / IHG One Platinum
Posts: 2,188
Originally Posted by Daremo999 View Post
I know! I'm trying to do it with points for Business class (we are taking her parents on a trip with us and would be nice to splurge). I have enough points to do it through FB, but its 3x that cost in points on DL...
Do as irishguy suggested , unless you are ready to accept the risk that your trip might be screwed up by the mess

If it was in "normal times" , yes you could do as you want but now its hell and no signs of improvements so far

Beware that schiphol reduced traffic in amsterdam , and therefore KL is cancelling a lot of flights for summer season (until october at least) , so your ideal 3h layover might become a 10h or overnight layover, and you will need to go airside

If the main goal is to go to ATH , then buy a direct flight (or anything to avoid transfers in europe) in Y or J with cash

Last edited by fifty_two; Jul 8, 22 at 4:47 pm
fifty_two is offline  
Old Jul 8, 22, 5:44 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FRA/SXB
Programs: AF/KLM FB Gold, AccorHotels Gold
Posts: 1,172
Buy a direct ticket. The European airlines aren't done trimming their schedules, and school holidays in various countries run thru beginning of septembre.
mlin32 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread