Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on BOS/JFK - AMS - ATH very late August?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: JB Mosaic 4, DL Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive Elite
Thoughts on BOS/JFK - AMS - ATH very late August?

With all the issues in travel currently, (and I know no one has a crystal ball), would it be foolish of me to book flights from BOS/JFK - AMS - ATH around 27/28th of Aug?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Do yourself a favour and book yourself on one of the direct non-stop Delta services from BOS (DL240, 3*weekly) or JFK (DL202, daily; DL212, 4*weekly).

There's also a daily flight on AA out of Kennedy.
36902BRF, fifty_two and offvoice like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:14 am
Original Poster

I know! I'm trying to do it with points for Business class (we are taking her parents on a trip with us and would be nice to splurge). I have enough points to do it through FB, but its 3x that cost in points on DL...
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Daremo999
With all the issues in travel currently, (and I know no one has a crystal ball), would it be foolish of me to book flights from BOS/JFK - AMS - ATH around 27/28th of Aug?
As long as you don't book a short connection you should be OK as you are only transiting AMS. The big problems are getting into the airport in the first place.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ardecos
As long as you don't book a short connection you should be OK as you are only transiting AMS. The big problems are getting into the airport in the first place.
Flight I have in mind has a 3 hour layover in AMS.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 3:41 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Daremo999
I know! I'm trying to do it with points for Business class (we are taking her parents on a trip with us and would be nice to splurge). I have enough points to do it through FB, but its 3x that cost in points on DL...
Do as irishguy suggested , unless you are ready to accept the risk that your trip might be screwed up by the mess

If it was in "normal times" , yes you could do as you want but now its hell and no signs of improvements so far

Beware that schiphol reduced traffic in amsterdam , and therefore KL is cancelling a lot of flights for summer season (until october at least) , so your ideal 3h layover might become a 10h or overnight layover, and you will need to go airside

If the main goal is to go to ATH , then buy a direct flight (or anything to avoid transfers in europe) in Y or J with cash

Last edited by fifty_two; Jul 8, 2022 at 3:47 pm
Old Jul 8, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Buy a direct ticket. The European airlines aren't done trimming their schedules, and school holidays in various countries run thru beginning of septembre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.