Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

RIP Flying Blue -: massive devaluation on July 1st now stratospheric # miles required

RIP Flying Blue -: massive devaluation on July 1st now stratospheric # miles required

Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by la_cigogne
more importantly than minimum, the median and the maximum have drastically increased.
That depends on how you redeem. I tend to only book the lowest "saver" level redemptions so the median and maximum mean (no pun) nothing to me.
f0zzyNUE and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by Xandrios
This is not a fully safe way to check. The month/week overviews often contain outdated information, which doesn't match the actual results available for a specific day. It is possible that prices have gone up steadily for those 'low days' in the monthly overview, but this was simply not visible as the grid kept showing outdated data.

I'm not sure what it depends on exactly, and when it does get refreshed, but differences are fairly drastic at times. I can imagine that FB having implemented a new pricing scheme meant that all cached prices have been invalidated, and the 'actual' correct prices are now displayed.

Anyway, I do agree with your point though. Overall, business class long haul specifically, the minimum prices seem to have gone up. Business class short haul seems to have mainly gone down.
maybe it‘s not fully safe - but when I don#t get the same lowest mileage on several routes for the next 12 months but mileage amounts that are higher than the lowest minimum mileage previously - then something must have been adjusted.
e.g. the lowest mileage DE-DXB was 45.000 miles in biz. Now it#s 50.000 for the next 12 months there has been an increase - the dynamic pricing makes extreme jumps - e.g. 45.000 miles award no longer available - next higher mileage amount was 74.000 miles - not just a few miles more (like 50.000)
Xandrios likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Did you understand my question?

I fly Delta all the time. I can earn miles on multiple programs: Skymiles, Flying Blue, or Virgin. I'm trying to decide if Flying Blue might be a better option as far as earning and redeeming, since I won't have status anymore.
I did understand, and if you fly DL all the time then stick with their programme. There is almost never partner availability on DL for FB members.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mlin32
I did understand, and if you fly DL all the time then stick with their programme. There is almost never partner availability on DL for FB members.
About the first sentence above, that can be a YMMV situation.

About the latter sentence above, that may be en route to changing as FB gets closer to having the same kind of rip-off-miles pricing in miles for mileage tickets as DL has.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios

Has the Flying Blue booking flexibility been removed as well since June 29th? Or was that only for paid tickets/vouchers? I'm going to book a bunch of business awards at this price. Great value per mile.

Edit: Covid measures for awards seem to still apply, meaning free refunds.
Is the free refund/change still applicable for award tickets ? My award ticket mileage requirement has dropped by 20% (economy) for the same dates and would like to get the miles credited back if possible.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lanb
Is the free refund/change still applicable for award tickets ? My award ticket mileage requirement has dropped by 20% (economy) for the same dates and would like to get the miles credited back if possible.
You always get the miles back (except for Promo@wards, but it doesn't seem you're talking about those).

The 50 cancellation fee is currently waived, but be warned that not all agents know this. I had to argue on the Platinum Service Line last December to get the fee waived.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:11 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
It's a little confusing to be honest. When booking the flight/itin details clearly mention that 50 euro fee. But at the same time, the FB website still links to the page saying that there is no cancellation fee. Question is, mainly, if they will honor these flexible cancellation rules if you'd want to cancel a flight booked now for travel next year - when these flexible rules probably no longer exist. I've made (date/time stamped) screenshots of that page just in case - but I'm doubtful if that will work once these rules have been abolished.
Originally Posted by lanb
Currently that should still work. Refer them to the page that I linked and they should theoretically agree to refund all. In your case though, instead of just calling them to cancel - I'd first ask them if they would be able to return the miles difference. They may be willing to do that and it would save you from any risks (Either the flight becoming more expensive after you cancel the current itin, or the flight not being cancellable after you have booked the same flight for a second time).
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: FB Gold
Called the premium line asking for more information on the increase of miles required for a certain route - agent was clueless. Also inquired if the 50 euros is still waived and the answer is NO (starting July 1st). They are charging again, along with the increase in miles.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:16 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thanks, that is good to know. That means it will be a fight if one has to change or refund a flight. They currently still have their Covid page up on their website, saying that the 50 euro is waived. So not granting that to bookings made now is pretty bad.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
In the end, I opted for a KLM direct flight back from IAD for 56,500 miles in J.
I just noticed today that the Air France mileage booking tool is offering the same flight on the same date at a cheaper cash amount (10% difference!) than KLM are. And I booked this from KLM already.

Is this new? I have to admit I don't recall ever "shopping around" between the 2 airlines before, when looking to book an award ticket (but I do it for cash tickets all the time!) because I genuinely didn't think/expect that they may calculate the taxes differently on award tickets...

EDIT: AF appears to have forgotten the "US international transportation tax €18,86)

Only for the news in #68, I'd ring up to cancel, and just rebook immediately with AF!!!
Attached Images   
lanb and physicsdude like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 4, 2022 at 10:32 am
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Yea free cancelation finaly ended. Dropped 2 tickets right at the end lol.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Ams-icn in Y dropped to 25k. Thats not to shabby.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:13 pm

Thanks all. I called in and was told there is no charge to cancel (my ticket was booked in June). Fingers crossed the full tax will be refunded in 1-7 days.
I actually needed to change the date of departure as well, so ended up cancelling and re-booking.

Thanks for the tip on less taxes via AF irishguy28.
blairvanhorn and Snick like this.

Last edited by lanb; Jul 4, 2022 at 5:45 pm
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Glad I booked in time. Didn't they communicate this at all?

Booked 2 biz tickets AMS JNB for January. Paid 139.000, now is 186.000. Talk about inflation! Even worse then the grocery inflations :P

I'm so glad I stepped over to MR points, instead of FB points.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
Booked 2 biz tickets AMS JNB for January. Paid 139.000, now is 186.000. Talk about inflation! Even worse then the grocery inflations :P
Just as an FYI for the future, in case a slight detour to start is an option, you can cut the price to 120k if you can start from DUS or BRU
Attached Images   

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 5, 2022 at 5:48 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.