Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

RIP Flying Blue -: massive devaluation on July 1st now stratospheric # miles required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RIP Flying Blue -: massive devaluation on July 1st now stratospheric # miles required

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Right when they changed the numbers early July I booked a bunch (6) intra european awards (in J) for 25K each. That was the lowest amount available, on any day in winter, on that route.

Checking now that has gone down to 20K. So I've 'overpaid' 30K for those 6 tickets. Theoretically when I booked the free cancellation rules still applied (At least the FB website still had them up), so I could...maybe... ask them to cancel and re-book. May require a lot of convincing though, especially because others have reported those cancellation rules to have ended late June. Not sure if that fight is worth it for 30K. On the other hand, you could argue that this represents about 300 Euro in value. Hmm..

In any case.. not only do the miles dynamically change for specific routes based on popularity, they also still change and tweak the base number of miles required.
I wouldn’t recommend it. It doesn’t speak for itself that the booked award seats will be available again after canceling. Then you are left with nothing.
taken your loss and life goes on. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by BobTL
I wouldn’t recommend it. It doesn’t speak for itself that the booked award seats will be available again after canceling. Then you are left with nothing.
taken your loss and life goes on. Enjoy your trip.
Indeed....but looking forward, @Xandrios could take those 6 trips on other, different dates when the 20k is still available....saving a nice 30k overall (enough for 1.5 free trips)....

My impression is that these bookings were for a well-travelled route (AMS-ATH) for which he has quite a bit of flexibility of when, and how often, to travel....
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:55 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That's exactly right irishguy28. These are for different one-ways on different dates, and on those exact flights there are still plenty (3+) seats available at that lowest 20K level right now.

As long as the inventory doesn't substantially worsen by canceling the award seats it should be fine. The main problem will probably be to have them cancel the tickets for free, as the free canceling of awards stopped end of june - but they updated the website only after July 5 or so. I booked right in between those two dates, meaning I may..possibly..still be able to cancel for free. By doing this switch I'd loose flexibility (Tickets currently booked are definitely not flexible any more), but getting flexibility on the current tickets down the line (in 2023) based on a covid policy that ended in June... may be tricky as well.

I'll give it a try and call the PSL a little later on today. Lets see what they say.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:20 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Just an update on this. Had no issue cancelling the awards without paying any penalty, originally booked on July 4. The newly booked awards (at 20% lower miles) also went through fine. Actually decided to book some of them as roundtrips (rather than one-ways) to benefit from being able to cancel the whole roundtrip for a 50 euro fee (rather than 50 euro per leg) if need be. The PSL was very cool about it. Also, zero wait when calling the PSL... which surprised me considering the mess going on at AMS.

My personal position on this FB change still applies. I'm mainly flying intra Europe so for me it's great being able to book C class awards for 20K, I'm actually able to replace paid flights with these. And this gives me over a cent per mile in value which previously was only possible flying long-haul (Which I virtually never do for personal travel).
Goldorak, 36902BRF, lynxy and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Booked MNL-TPE-AMS-BOG-CTG in C for 119k and 40 euro.
jerry_greece and Goldorak like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Yreal
Booked MNL-TPE-AMS-BOG-CTG in C for 119k and 40 euro.
Considering MNL-TPE is probably with CI and AMS-CTG is usually expensive , thats not a bad deal , lucky you .
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by fifty_two
Considering MNL-TPE is probably with CI and AMS-CTG is usually expensive , thats not a bad deal , lucky you .
This intra asian flight was operated by KLM and probably has came back to it. I wouldn't be surprised to see changes to MNL flights tbh.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
One way?

There appears to be rather good availablity at 130k (one way) for 2 in J on the route:
Where are you pulling up this calendar view? Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Hilton Diamond, some others as well
Originally Posted by jkenn
Where are you pulling up this calendar view? Thanks
The calendar view can be pulled by not putting in any dates while searching for a destination
jkenn and Xandrios like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:44 am
MRC

Programs: Flying Blue PE, Garuda FF Gold, Shangr-La Gold, KrisFlyer SQ
booked one way eco CGK-KUL with KL: 9000 miles + 7,60 euro and return one way with GA for 7900 miles +10 euro (first week of November). To me not a bad deal.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
825,000 AF-KL miles + €356 for a one-way US-Asia AF-AF business class trip 30+ days out. With rewards like that, who needs penalties.
fifty_two likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
825,000 AF-KL miles + €356 for a one-way US-Asia AF-AF business class trip 30+ days out. With rewards like that, who needs penalties.
Given that FB awards are bookable approx 360 days in advance, waiting til only 30+ days out to book is imposing a severe constraint on one's self.

However, if you can be flexible (which is always a good prerequisite for getting the most bang for your miles), there are options available, even within that 30 day window, for good value.

Exhibit A: BOS-AMS-BKK, 9 August

Exhibit B: BOS-CDG-BKK, 9 August

SteamyUncle likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
30+ days covers dates that are even 360 days out, so not sure how “waiting til only 30+ days out to book is imposing a severe constraint on one's self”.

“825,000 AF-KL miles + €356 for a one-way US-Asia AF-AF business class trip 30+ days out. With rewards like that, who needs penalties.”

Flying such routes in business for a lot fewer miles is possible even sub-30 days out, but it doesn’t make the AF-KL miles hugely rewarding even as there are alternatives.

AF-KL has this scale of rip-off “reward” flight prices for flights across the calendar spectrum.

Let’s see how soon it is until the AF credit card in the US comes with a 150k mile SUB. That’s the kind of thing mileage devaluations result in happening, as the airlines and their bank card partners try to keep the loyalty program hamster wheel in motion.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 28, 2022 at 1:59 pm
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Longhaul Premium load factor is up on 2019 levels - economy load factor is still running below 2019 levels - so don't expect (m)any biz bargains in the 30+ day booking window

Transavia is the only part of the business whose ASKs will be above 2019 levels in Q3 and Q4 of 2022, and is expected to end FY2022 with a higher capacity than was achieved in FY2019; AFKL will approach 80-85% of 2019 ASKs in Q32022, and 85-90% of 2019 ASKs in Q42022, and with an overall capacity over the entire FY2022 of approx 80% of 2019's ASKs.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 29, 2022 at 5:02 am
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:11 pm

Tel Aviv to the east coast used to price out at ~55K since Israel is a part of Europe in their award map…but now it’s coming up at 95K. Is this a website glitch or any chance they’ll honor the old award price if I book through the phone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.