Broke my ankle before a long haul

Old Jun 23, 22, 3:06 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Gold; National EE
Posts: 5,705
I remain very sympathetic to you, OP. I broke my ankle while hiking on vacation in Hawaii. I was very depressed by this but with good medical care at home plus the invaluable help of my partner, I got better quickly and was even able to travel again (at first with two crutches and a knee scooter, then with just one crutch, and then no crutches needed after 3 months). I was fortunate that my health insurance was valid in Hawaii, and I already had a J ticket to fly home. I was also fortunate that my doctor in Hawaii provided me with a boot rather than a cast, and the boot was good protection for my ankle. Big bonus was that the boot was removable for showering and sleeping.

The main aim is to get you home and to a good orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible for further evaluation and possible surgery. In the meantime, I suggest you order a Knee Scooter. Those are much better than crutches!

My suggestion also is that you accept whatever reasonable transport is available as soon as possible. I agree that a 9h layover is frustrating, but I am sure that the LH J lounge will try to find you a spot where you can be comfortable. Transportation providers tend to be super sympathetic to injured passengers.

Last edited by Buster CT1K; Jun 23, 22 at 3:19 pm
Buster CT1K is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:13 pm
  #62  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 526
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K View Post
I remain very sympathetic to you, OP. I broke my ankle while hiking on vacation in Hawaii. I was very depressed by this but with good medical care at home plus the invaluable help of my partner, I got better quickly and was even able to travel again (at first with two crutches and a knee scooter, then with just one crutch, and then no crutches needed after 3 months). I was fortunate that my health insurance was valid in Hawaii, and I already had a J ticket to fly home. I was also fortunate that my doctor in Hawaii provided me with a boot rather than a cast, and the boot was good protection for my ankle. Big bonus was that the boot was removable for showering and sleeping.

The main aim is to get you home and to a good orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible for further evaluation and possible surgery. In the meantime, I suggest you order a Knee Scooter. Those are much better than crutches!

My suggestion also is that you accept whatever reasonable transport is available as soon as possible. I agree that a 9h layover is frustrating, but I am sure that the LH J lounge will try to find you a spot where you can be comfortable. Transportation providers tend to be super sympathetic to injured passengers.
Thank you. I was also considering that but my travel partner travels in Y and I dont have any Star Alliance status so lounge is only for me and these days with overcrowded lounges, I wasnt sure it would work out.
BobTL is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:31 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 7,433
Originally Posted by BobTL View Post
Thank you. I was also considering that but my travel partner travels in Y and I don’t have any Star Alliance status so lounge is only for me and these days with overcrowded lounges, I wasn’t sure it would work out.
I have two LH lounge passes that expire August 8, 2022. I am assuming they are transferrable and I would be happy to give you one (or both) for your girlfriend. They are .pdf so easy to email. I will be out for the next 2-3 hours but can send them when I get back if this is the route you decide to take.

This Lufthansa Business Lounge Voucher is valid for the primary member or 1 travel companion for 1 visit to Lufthansa Business Lounges worldwide. Each lounge voucher will be valid for 12 months from the date of issuance to the cardmember's personal Miles & More account in "My Inbox" or until redeemed for a single entry. For admittance to the Lufthansa Business Lounges, your valid lounge voucher (printed or online) and your boarding pass for a same-day departing flight operated by a Lufthansa Group Carrier (Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, SWISS, Eurowings) must be presented. The sale as well as the offer for auction of the lounge voucher to a third party is prohibited. The lounge voucher cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. All Lufthansa Business Lounge rules will apply.
Finkface is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:49 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 339
Originally Posted by BobTL View Post
sure ask anything you want 😊😊
Thanks for the offer really nice of you 😊👍 but it seems that most of my questions has been answered already.

Hope you will be home soon and that it is smooth sailing with TRYG, from now on!
Stil is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:19 pm
  #65  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 526
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
I have two LH lounge passes that expire August 8, 2022. I am assuming they are transferrable and I would be happy to give you one (or both) for your girlfriend. They are .pdf so easy to email. I will be out for the next 2-3 hours but can send them when I get back if this is the route you decide to take.

This Lufthansa Business Lounge Voucher is valid for the primary member or 1 travel companion for 1 visit to Lufthansa Business Lounges worldwide. Each lounge voucher will be valid for 12 months from the date of issuance to the cardmember's personal Miles & More account in "My Inbox" or until redeemed for a single entry. For admittance to the Lufthansa Business Lounges, your valid lounge voucher (printed or online) and your boarding pass for a same-day departing flight operated by a Lufthansa Group Carrier (Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, SWISS, Eurowings) must be presented. The sale as well as the offer for auction of the lounge voucher to a third party is prohibited. The lounge voucher cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. All Lufthansa Business Lounge rules will apply.
wow thank you so much, thats so generous of you. In case Ill fly with LH I will let you know. Thank you so much once more.
BobTL is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:02 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 7,433
Originally Posted by BobTL View Post
wow thank you so much, that’s so generous of you. In case I’ll fly with LH I will let you know. Thank you so much once more.
Happy to help. I can't imagine flying with a cast, even in J. If you need them, PM me your email address and I will shoot them off to you.
Finkface is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 4:04 am
  #67  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 526
I flew with KL back in J in a B78X, great product, amazing crew and catering was beyond expectations and nearly on AF level which is for me the best caterer of the European carriers.
Now waiting on the connecting flight to BLL, unfortunately a long layover of more than 12 hours.

Thanks again for all the help. Truly appreciate it.
BobTL is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 5:10 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 410
Originally Posted by BobTL View Post
I flew with KL back in J in a B78X, great product, amazing crew and catering was beyond expectations and nearly on AF level which is for me the best caterer of the European carriers.
Now waiting on the connecting flight to BLL, unfortunately a long layover of more than 12 hours.

Thanks again for all the help. Truly appreciate it.
Glad to hear it worked out for you! When did your insurance come through with the new ticket? And how is your experience with the special assistance service in AMS?
CosmicGirl is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 5:37 am
  #69  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 526
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
Glad to hear it worked out for you! When did your insurance come through with the new ticket? And how is your experience with the special assistance service in AMS?
It took the insurance 4 days to issue a ticket. Way too long. In their defense there werent a lot of seats available but still it took too long and only because I really pushed them to the limit. If I wouldnt have done this then I would have still been in Los Angeles.
In LAX the assistance service was very lackluster and chaotic. In AMS there was someone waiting for me and brought me to lounge 52. But I found out there is only assistance from lounge 25 to the connecting flight so the leg from lounge 52 to lounge 25 is something I have to find out myself and its quite a distance on crutches. I see if we can arrange a wheelchair at T6 desk to overcome that distance.
BobTL is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 5:46 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 410
Originally Posted by BobTL View Post
It took the insurance 4 days to issue a ticket. Way too long. In their defense there werent a lot of seats available but still it took too long and only because I really pushed them to the limit. If I wouldnt have done this then I would have still been in Los Angeles.
In LAX the assistance service was very lackluster and chaotic. In AMS there was someone waiting for me and brought me to lounge 52. But I found out there is only assistance from lounge 25 to the connecting flight so the leg from lounge 52 to lounge 25 is something I have to find out myself and its quite a distance on crutches. I see if we can arrange a wheelchair at T6 desk to overcome that distance.
Common practice is to leave the WCH with the passenger in the lounge. If you ask someone at the desk in the lounge they should be able to call for one. At the very least, if they don't have an agent available, they should provide a wheelchair your GF can push. Given your long layover this may be the best solution so you can roam around freely.
MSPeconomist likes this.
CosmicGirl is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 1:41 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Posts: 2,670
Originally Posted by BobTL View Post
Now waiting on the connecting flight to BLL, unfortunately a long layover of more than 12 hours.
Is it that much better than flying to CPH and drive 4 hours to home?
b12e likes this.
carnarvon is online now  
Old Jun 25, 22, 3:20 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Gold; National EE
Posts: 5,705
Originally Posted by BobTL View Post
I flew with KL back in J in a B78X, great product, amazing crew and catering was beyond expectations and nearly on AF level which is for me the best caterer of the European carriers.
Now waiting on the connecting flight to BLL, unfortunately a long layover of more than 12 hours.

Thanks again for all the help. Truly appreciate it.
Glad that you managed to get on your way home in J.
Buster CT1K is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 3:40 pm
  #73  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 526
What a wonderful way to come home, the KL crew to BLL made me a card and a goodie bag with wine, soft drinks and snacks plus a get well card
BobTL is offline  
Old Jun 26, 22, 2:38 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Posts: 2,670
Nice thought of theirs. Quite Dutch.
MSPeconomist likes this.
carnarvon is online now  
Old Jun 27, 22, 12:11 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Gold; National EE
Posts: 5,705
Originally Posted by BobTL View Post
What a wonderful way to come home, the KL crew to BLL made me a card and a goodie bag with wine, soft drinks and snacks plus a get well card
Hopefully you are settled in at home and have access to good medical care? Did you get an MRI yet?
Buster CT1K is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread