Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broke my ankle before a long haul

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I remain very sympathetic to you, OP. I broke my ankle while hiking on vacation in Hawaii. I was very depressed by this but with good medical care at home plus the invaluable help of my partner, I got better quickly and was even able to travel again (at first with two crutches and a knee scooter, then with just one crutch, and then no crutches needed after 3 months). I was fortunate that my health insurance was valid in Hawaii, and I already had a J ticket to fly home. I was also fortunate that my doctor in Hawaii provided me with a boot rather than a cast, and the boot was good protection for my ankle. Big bonus was that the boot was removable for showering and sleeping.

The main aim is to get you home and to a good orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible for further evaluation and possible surgery. In the meantime, I suggest you order a Knee Scooter. Those are much better than crutches!

My suggestion also is that you accept whatever reasonable transport is available as soon as possible. I agree that a 9h layover is frustrating, but I am sure that the LH J lounge will try to find you a spot where you can be comfortable. Transportation providers tend to be super sympathetic to injured passengers.

Last edited by Buster CT1K; Jun 23, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I remain very sympathetic to you, OP. I broke my ankle while hiking on vacation in Hawaii. I was very depressed by this but with good medical care at home plus the invaluable help of my partner, I got better quickly and was even able to travel again (at first with two crutches and a knee scooter, then with just one crutch, and then no crutches needed after 3 months). I was fortunate that my health insurance was valid in Hawaii, and I already had a J ticket to fly home. I was also fortunate that my doctor in Hawaii provided me with a boot rather than a cast, and the boot was good protection for my ankle. Big bonus was that the boot was removable for showering and sleeping.

The main aim is to get you home and to a good orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible for further evaluation and possible surgery. In the meantime, I suggest you order a Knee Scooter. Those are much better than crutches!

My suggestion also is that you accept whatever reasonable transport is available as soon as possible. I agree that a 9h layover is frustrating, but I am sure that the LH J lounge will try to find you a spot where you can be comfortable. Transportation providers tend to be super sympathetic to injured passengers.
Thank you. I was also considering that but my travel partner travels in Y and I don’t have any Star Alliance status so lounge is only for me and these days with overcrowded lounges, I wasn’t sure it would work out.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by BobTL
Thank you. I was also considering that but my travel partner travels in Y and I don’t have any Star Alliance status so lounge is only for me and these days with overcrowded lounges, I wasn’t sure it would work out.
I have two LH lounge passes that expire August 8, 2022. I am assuming they are transferrable and I would be happy to give you one (or both) for your girlfriend. They are .pdf so easy to email. I will be out for the next 2-3 hours but can send them when I get back if this is the route you decide to take.

This Lufthansa Business Lounge Voucher is valid for the primary member or 1 travel companion for 1 visit to Lufthansa Business Lounges worldwide. Each lounge voucher will be valid for 12 months from the date of issuance to the cardmember's personal Miles & More account in "My Inbox" or until redeemed for a single entry. For admittance to the Lufthansa Business Lounges, your valid lounge voucher (printed or online) and your boarding pass for a same-day departing flight operated by a Lufthansa Group Carrier (Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, SWISS, Eurowings) must be presented. The sale as well as the offer for auction of the lounge voucher to a third party is prohibited. The lounge voucher cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. All Lufthansa Business Lounge rules will apply.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:49 pm

sure ask anything you want 😊😊
Thanks for the offer really nice of you 😊👍 but it seems that most of my questions has been answered already.

Hope you will be home soon and that it is smooth sailing with TRYG, from now on!
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
I have two LH lounge passes that expire August 8, 2022. I am assuming they are transferrable and I would be happy to give you one (or both) for your girlfriend. They are .pdf so easy to email. I will be out for the next 2-3 hours but can send them when I get back if this is the route you decide to take.

This Lufthansa Business Lounge Voucher is valid for the primary member or 1 travel companion for 1 visit to Lufthansa Business Lounges worldwide. Each lounge voucher will be valid for 12 months from the date of issuance to the cardmember's personal Miles & More account in "My Inbox" or until redeemed for a single entry. For admittance to the Lufthansa Business Lounges, your valid lounge voucher (printed or online) and your boarding pass for a same-day departing flight operated by a Lufthansa Group Carrier (Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, SWISS, Eurowings) must be presented. The sale as well as the offer for auction of the lounge voucher to a third party is prohibited. The lounge voucher cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. All Lufthansa Business Lounge rules will apply.
wow thank you so much, that’s so generous of you. In case I’ll fly with LH I will let you know. Thank you so much once more.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
wow thank you so much, that’s so generous of you. In case I’ll fly with LH I will let you know. Thank you so much once more.
Happy to help. I can't imagine flying with a cast, even in J. If you need them, PM me your email address and I will shoot them off to you.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:04 am
Original Poster

I flew with KL back in J in a B78X, great product, amazing crew and catering was beyond expectations and nearly on AF level which is for me the best caterer of the European carriers.
Now waiting on the connecting flight to BLL, unfortunately a long layover of more than 12 hours.

Thanks again for all the help. Truly appreciate it.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:10 am

I flew with KL back in J in a B78X, great product, amazing crew and catering was beyond expectations and nearly on AF level which is for me the best caterer of the European carriers.
Now waiting on the connecting flight to BLL, unfortunately a long layover of more than 12 hours.

Glad to hear it worked out for you! When did your insurance come through with the new ticket? And how is your experience with the special assistance service in AMS?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
Glad to hear it worked out for you! When did your insurance come through with the new ticket? And how is your experience with the special assistance service in AMS?
It took the insurance 4 days to issue a ticket. Way too long. In their defense there weren’t a lot of seats available but still it took too long and only because I really pushed them to the limit. If I wouldn’t have done this then I would have still been in Los Angeles.
In LAX the assistance service was very lackluster and chaotic. In AMS there was someone waiting for me and brought me to lounge 52. But I found out there is only assistance from lounge 25 to the connecting flight so the leg from lounge 52 to lounge 25 is something I have to find out myself and it’s quite a distance on crutches. I see if we can arrange a wheelchair at T6 desk to overcome that distance.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:46 am

It took the insurance 4 days to issue a ticket. Way too long. In their defense there weren’t a lot of seats available but still it took too long and only because I really pushed them to the limit. If I wouldn’t have done this then I would have still been in Los Angeles.
In LAX the assistance service was very lackluster and chaotic. In AMS there was someone waiting for me and brought me to lounge 52. But I found out there is only assistance from lounge 25 to the connecting flight so the leg from lounge 52 to lounge 25 is something I have to find out myself and it’s quite a distance on crutches. I see if we can arrange a wheelchair at T6 desk to overcome that distance.
Common practice is to leave the WCH with the passenger in the lounge. If you ask someone at the desk in the lounge they should be able to call for one. At the very least, if they don't have an agent available, they should provide a wheelchair your GF can push. Given your long layover this may be the best solution so you can roam around freely.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Is it that much better than flying to CPH and drive 4 hours to home?
b12e likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE

Glad that you managed to get on your way home in J.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

What a wonderful way to come home, the KL crew to BLL made me a card and a goodie bag with wine, soft drinks and snacks plus a “get well” card
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:38 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Nice thought of theirs. Quite Dutch.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:11 pm

What a wonderful way to come home, the KL crew to BLL made me a card and a goodie bag with wine, soft drinks and snacks plus a “get well” card
Hopefully you are settled in at home and have access to good medical care? Did you get an MRI yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.