Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broke my ankle before a long haul

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Latest update, my travel insurance agreed on flying me home in J but hasn’t confirmed a flight nor the airline. This is day 4 now so it goes very slow and takes a lot of following up.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by BobTL
Latest update, my travel insurance agreed on flying me home in J but hasn’t confirmed a flight nor the airline. This is day 4 now so it goes very slow and takes a lot of following up.
out of curiosity, which company are you insured through?

Just so I can draw my conclusions. I was with Gouda, but now with Danske Bank's insurance company (whatever the name, too lazy to look it up)
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Congrats, that is good news. It is obviously a nuisance you can't go home directly, but as long the insurance takes care of you as long as you are in the US as well this seems fair to me. But then such situations clearly are a situation of sick leave and time you cannot use for your employer let alone enjoy privately (during the first week after my leg was broken I simply was this cave man trying to survive on my couch). I hope they will find you a flight soon.

Last edited by atflyer; Jun 22, 2022 at 1:20 pm
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atflyer
Congrats, that is good news. It is obviously a nuisance you can't go home directly, but as long the insurance takes care of you as long as you are in the US as well this seems fair to me. But then such situations clearly are a situation of sick leave and time you cannot use for your employer let alone enjoy privately (during the first week after my leg was broken I simply was this cave man trying to survive on my couch). I hope they will find you a flight soon.
No unfortunately they don’t take care of me here. I am “on my own” but my girlfriend is with me so she can help. But I have to find and pay hotel myself here in Los Angeles and they can not confirm on what day we will fly so we can not set up a “base”. I find it all very frustrating and unnecessarily complicated. I’m sure they help a lot of people with broken ankles so I don’t understand why there isn’t a script ready to execute and make the process a bit more smooth.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:07 pm

Happy to hear that they resumed responsibility.
As im both insured in DK and elsewhere, it could be interesting to get some data points on insurer and your general experience.
That of cource, when you feel up to it on a later stage.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stil
Happy to hear that they resumed responsibility.
As im both insured in DK and elsewhere, it could be interesting to get some data points on insurer and your general experience.
That of cource, when you feel up to it on a later stage.
sure ask anything you want 😊😊
Stil likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b12e
out of curiosity, which company are you insured through?

Just so I can draw my conclusions. I was with Gouda, but now with Danske Bank's insurance company (whatever the name, too lazy to look it up)
I am insured via my Nordea Mastercard Gold but it’s Tryg who is the insurance company behind it.
b12e likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Then why don't they fly you nonstop to CPH? After that drive you to BLL by ambulance or even pay for rental car driven by your gf.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Then why don't they fly you nonstop to CPH? After that drive you to BLL by ambulance or even pay for rental car driven by your gf.
That could be a second option but not optimal because CPH-BLL is a 3 hour drive and BLL has otherwise good connections (4-5 daily flights) to AMS so that’s more practical and less costly.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
That could be a second option but not optimal because CPH-BLL is a 3 hour drive and BLL has otherwise good connections (4-5 daily flights) to AMS so that’s more practical and less costly.
I had forgotten that you are happy to fly in a small plane to BLL and won't mind the connection in AMS.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carnarvon
I had forgotten that you are happy to fly in a small plane to BLL and won't mind the connection in AMS.
No I’m not happy about that. But the hassle of everything involved flying to CPH, then alternate long transport to Jutland compared to a layover with good connections and a short 50 min hop to BLL, I indeed prefer an itinerary via AMS.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:42 am
Original Poster

The communication with the insurance company is very difficult and a struggle.
They wrote me on 21 JUN that their doctor indicates I should be transported home before the initial departure date (25 JUN) and there has been a lot of back and forth mails since. They didn’t want to inform me when I was supposed to fly home, extremely slow in answering. When calling, the agent didn’t know about the case and the responsible person would call back, often not happening, and only answering between 9-17 while I am facing 9 hours time difference. That means every night I have to wake up to follow up.
Eventually after 4 days, they came up with a LOT flight via WAW but only on the 25th. I asked for a departure on the 23rd or possibly the 24th. All flights are sold out. It’s extreme but I found an AF flight on the 24th with favorable flight times and informed them about that option. They replied that they couldn’t book it. I called the PSL, they reserved the seat and informed the insurance company about this option. Instead that was ignored and they came with a LH option on the 23rd but with 8/9 hours lay over in MUC which just isn’t an option with a broken ankle. I can not lay down anywhere.
Now there is no reaction anymore.
Man it gets so much on my nerves.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess is that the LOT flight was cheaper in business class. Did it have flat beds? The insurance company might have an arrangement for discounted unpublished fares with the LH family or *A. I'm guessing that this is why they insist that they must book the flight. Don't expect FF credit or elite benefits. Also, the insurance company will probably claim any refund or credit from the unflown AF flight home.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My guess is that the LOT flight was cheaper in business class. Did it have flat beds? The insurance company might have an arrangement for discounted unpublished fares with the LH family or *A. I'm guessing that this is why they insist that they must book the flight. Don't expect FF credit or elite benefits. Also, the insurance company will probably claim any refund or credit from the unflown AF flight home.
I don’t know if LOT was cheaper. The insurance company didnt communicate that. When I offered the AF option they said they’ll look into it but instead they came with the LH option with an extreme long layover which they know is not an option looking at my condition. If only Star Alliance options are allowed then just say so, saves me time to find alternative flights.
Now there is just silence after been up all night to find a solution. It is so extremely annoying.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don’t know if LOT was cheaper. The insurance company didnt communicate that. When I offered the AF option they said they’ll look into it but instead they came with the LH option with an extreme long layover which they know is not an option looking at my condition. If only Star Alliance options are allowed then just say so, saves me time to find alternative flights.
Now there is just silence after been up all night to find a solution. It is so extremely annoying.
Obviously I don't know that LOT was cheaper, but often LOT business class tickets are cheaper than business class on other carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.