Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extra XP for CO2-offset and donations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate
Originally Posted by ramalair
Thanks for sharing, do you know how many XPs come with those ?
Should be the same rate (10€ =1XP/UXP) for both options.
On Wednesday I have a nice mix (166€ SAF / 130€ Tree), I'll let you know!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:41 am

Programs: Some...
I'll you know too.

One (other) I just figured out is that the option is taken into account in the miles awarded in your flight.
In my offer, I chose the 20 eur one. In my booking, I can see that I will earn an additional 140 miles (as a FB Gold member, 20 * 7)
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: FB Plat, HH silver, Aeroflot silver
If i look AF app or KLM app app it comes with too different price for the reduction for the some flight. KLM is slighty cheaper.

Just share with you the details:
BER via AMS to BKK in August in BC with one route with KLM other with AF

KLM 4 options: AF 4 options:
1. REF 80 eur 1. REF 146 eur
2.REF+ SAF 148 eur 2.REF+ SAF 212 eur
3.REF+ SAF 252 eur 3.REF+ SAF 314 eur
4.SAF 3519 eur 4.SAF 3519 eur

But for example if one would opt for number 4, it would mean one get around 351XP and therefore platinum at once.
Can that be true? Wouldnt that be a cheap way to "buy" status?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Maipenrai
If i look AF app or KLM app app it comes with too different price for the reduction for the some flight. KLM is slighty cheaper.

Just share with you the details:
BER via AMS to BKK in August in BC with one route with KLM other with AF

KLM 4 options: AF 4 options:
1. REF 80 eur 1. REF 146 eur
2.REF+ SAF 148 eur 2.REF+ SAF 212 eur
3.REF+ SAF 252 eur 3.REF+ SAF 314 eur
4.SAF 3519 eur 4.SAF 3519 eur

But for example if one would opt for number 4, it would mean one get around 351XP and therefore platinum at once.
Can that be true? Wouldnt that be a cheap way to "buy" status?
Yes and no. It's still 3520 EUR and you still have to be at least halfway to silver.
There are cheaper ways to gain status overall (you can get down to about 5,6 eur per XP on KRK-like runs even outside bonus XP), it's very efficient. Also for the airline - unlike when flying, it's all going straight to them. And I have no doubt that they use some creative accounting in the SAF pricing... no way it's actual marginal cost per pax.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
...it's very efficient....
But time consuming.

The question is : why spending 3500 eur to get 350 XP ? If you are Gold, you'll become plat for a year. What does it gives you that gold doesn't have : free seat and 1 more mile per eur. Yeah !! You need to fly a lot to have a ROI. And if you fly that a lot, you don't need to buy XP as you earn them.

So spending 3500 eur to get XP is literally giving money to AF for almost nothing in exchange.
arjen05, Arpoador, KLBGO and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by thibderoc
But time consuming.
I meant the XP for SAF is more expensive but very (time and zero incurred costs) efficient way to gain extra XP.
KRK-like runs have nearly twice as high return per XP for direct cost, but also create a requirement for positioning for most and hotel costs for all. Plus the time commitment of course.

Originally Posted by thibderoc
The question is : why spending 3500 eur to get 350 XP ? If you are Gold, you'll become plat for a year. What does it gives you that gold doesn't have : free seat and 1 more mile per eur. Yeah !! You need to fly a lot to have a ROI. And if you fly that a lot, you don't need to buy XP as you earn them.

So spending 3500 eur to get XP is literally giving money to AF for almost nothing in exchange.
Combined with the XP from the trip itself, you're not that far from instant platinum from fresh silver. (not halfway to silver, that was an error in my maths)

Yes, the ROI on earning PLAT for ~3000 EUR is not quite there, but in some cases it might be worth the direct outlay, especially for those chasing PFL.

However in practice, I expect the compensations in the hundreds range (SAF on shorthaul, reforestation or combination in longhaul) will be much more useful for occasional top-ups ISO pure mileage runs. Especially for those who can offset the reforestation from their taxes, as was speculated upthread, that would make for a very good per XP price.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Call it 600 EUR and 24 hours of time for 90 XP on a KRK run (including hotel). Buying 90 XP through this would cost 900 EUR, so preferring the KRK run suggests that one values leisure time at 13 EUR/hour or thereabouts. Leisure time is presumably worth somewhat less than what you charge for your labors, but I suspect that your earnings don't necessarily have to get much above, say, 75k EUR per year to make the mileage run a really questionable use of time.
ps9a likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue
MXP-CDG-AMS-KRK :
Reforestation --> 12,36 Eur
Reforestation and Sustainable Aviation Fuel --> 18 Eur Or 26 Eur
Sustainable Aviation Fuel--> 299 Eur

I still can't figure out which one is the most beneficial one for XP & tax purposes (being French resident).

Any idea ?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Coder33
MXP-CDG-AMS-KRK :
Reforestation --> 12,36 Eur
Reforestation and Sustainable Aviation Fuel --> 18 Eur Or 26 Eur
Sustainable Aviation Fuel--> 299 Eur

I still can't figure out which one is the most beneficial one for XP & tax purposes (being French resident).

Any idea ?
You should be getting 30 extra XP from SAF if our expectations are correct of rates.

So far the understanding is that tax advantage is only for reforestation, which means its not really an advantage for short flights, but can be a good deal on longhauls.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue
You should be getting 30 extra XP from SAF if our expectations are correct of rates.

So far the understanding is that tax advantage is only for reforestation, which means its not really an advantage for short flights, but can be a good deal on longhauls.
You are right, from my last flight, only reforestation gave me tax deduction. But it seems quite difficult to understand the allocation of REF in the mix.

If I go for the 26€ option, I should (?) be getting 3XP. But, the split REF/SAF would only be known after the purchase.. Seems quite non-intuitive
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:46 am

I think the REF value stays the same but SAF value increases for the two mixed options.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Coder33
You are right, from my last flight, only reforestation gave me tax deduction. But it seems quite difficult to understand the allocation of REF in the mix.

If I go for the 26€ option, I should (?) be getting 3XP. But, the split REF/SAF would only be known after the purchase.. Seems quite non-intuitive
I took a 26€ option and got an email for reforestation thanking me for a 12€ donation
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:23 am

I think the REF value stays the same but SAF value increases for the two mixed options.
Not in my case; I have it saying that the two mixed options will in the lower case (just shy of €80) reforest for 2529kg of CO2 absorbtion, while the higher price (€135) will do slightly less at 2451kg. This is for AMS-SEA-YVR-AMS.

So the reforestation amount does apparently change slightly.

Btw the full SAF option is an easy €1870, no biggie.

Last edited by CyBeR; Jun 23, 2022 at 7:28 am
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhdl
Call it 600 EUR and 24 hours of time for 90 XP on a KRK run (including hotel). Buying 90 XP through this would cost 900 EUR, so preferring the KRK run suggests that one values leisure time at 13 EUR/hour or thereabouts. Leisure time is presumably worth somewhat less than what you charge for your labors, but I suspect that your earnings don't necessarily have to get much above, say, 75k EUR per year to make the mileage run a really questionable use of time.
This is the quintessential example of the need to put figures on everything generating utterly nonsensical conclusions. Under that logic, we would all be running spreadsheets quantifying how much our friends and significant others have "cost us" in terms of leisure time and send them a monthly bill.

Putting a figure in euros on the cost of leisure time is utterly meaningless. Life just does not work that way.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Putting a figure in euros on the cost of leisure time is utterly meaningless. Life just does not work that way.
There is, however, an opportunity cost in leisure time.

Considering that if I might do my third KRK run because that's the most optimal value per XP, do I still want to go to KRK? Would I prefer to pay a bit more to go to LIS instead, for example?
Any weekend spent mileage running is a weekend I could have spent doing something else, maybe having a golf trip instead. It is quite normal to express this utility in money, though of course it varies from one person to another and you might have a negative opportunity cost on the first run because you always wanted to see Krakow, or you might have 0 opportunity cost because you literally don't have anything else to do.
hhdl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.