The Platinum Effect

Old Jun 7, 2024, 11:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by carnarvon
STR/ CDG/NTE today.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

On the other hand, the GP behind me on CDG/NTE was was treated with personalised attention : "Est-ce que vous êtes bien installée Madame"...

Nah... I don't really care and know the rule of their world.
C'est quoi un.e GP? Sorry if it's obvious and I should know.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 11:52 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Gratuite Partielle

Someone working for the company (or family) flying on a ticket for which they paid peanuts.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 12:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by maalloc
Gratuite Partielle

Someone working for the company (or family) flying on a ticket for which they paid peanuts.
Ha, thanks! I was sitting next to one last year (wife of one of the pilots) and cabin crew greeted me first, then gave the champagne to her as well. In my case they didn't seem to give her more attention than to me.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 1:03 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
VLC-CDG on Friday, June 7:
  • No recognition - absolutely nothing noteworthy about this flight.
CDG-CPH on Friday, June 7:
  • CDG-CPH just now: bottle of water and prepackaged refreshing towel. FA had 2, one for another passenger sitting on the other side of the aisle (emergency exits). 3 other pax on this row got nothing.

definitely the platinum effect.
  • other status pax asked for champagne (I assume did not get offered, they didn't offer me) and got a proper glass inside a paper cup with a napkin to shield it off from other pax "in transit".

very subtle.

CPH-CDG on Sunday, June 9:
  • on the return, 0 recognition. Saw bottles of water being handed out, just not to me. During meal service asked for a cola, "we only have juices, coffee and tea sir, this is a breakfast service" (at 11am).
  • Best breakfast I ever had. If any time is a good time to give a chicken or cheese sandwich, breakfast would be it, I'd think.

CDG-VLC on Sunday, June 9:
  • Op-up to Euro-J on Hop (from 11F / emergency exit row)

Last edited by b12e; Jun 10, 2024 at 4:49 am Reason: Added more flights and structured it a little
Old Jun 8, 2024, 12:41 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
No acknowledgement today HND-CDG. The FAs were all professional and service was very good but I may as well have been non-elite. I'm okay with that as it happens but don't treat some pax as gods as you put your derriere in my face.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 4:43 am

Programs: Many
OPO-CDG the other day.

I boarded first then had the unfortunate experience to witness the crew "welcoming" pax of on full A321.
They received at least 3 boxes of pasteis de nada from various non-rev, hopefully in exchange for some upgrade. Too bad for the non-rev, the flight was full. But the words from the purser to the groups of non-rev in front of paying pax were pathetic: "I am sorry I cannot upgrade you today as we are full in front but don't worry I will bring you treats and bubble". She acted as the revenue pax in front of her (in C on top of that) could not understand French. On a flight form Portugal to France this is careless.

Back to the topic, no Platinum effect for me that day. Normally I don't care about it (although this attention is always nice and appreciated) but given the crew sent exclusively their regards to non-rev I must confess the experience was a bit irritating.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Wonder if someone ever had the gall to ask something like: "Excuse me kind Madam/Sir, I couldn't help overhearing your offer of a pre-departure beverage to the ladies/gentlemen over there, and was wondering if - as a flying blue platinum member - you may perhaps kindly allow me to partake?"

I'm dying for the occasion to try this DYKWIA move, especially after another year or so of absolutely no recognition given
Old Jun 10, 2024, 8:06 am

The "bring candy, get upgrade" works accross airlines as well. It happened to me on a KLC flight from Italy to AMS when a HV crew (no uniform but showed card - also not sure if paid ticket?) offered a bag of candy (twix or something) to the crew and then a few minutes later the crew moved them to C. The flight was not that full, neither that long, but I can't help but wonder if this is the real price of intra-Europe upgrades (rather the 199 we see): a bag of candy...

Meanwhile, on GIG-AMS and in Y, purser came along after boarding complete to say "hi" to (i assume) plat members (we were all seated in the Comfort section). A casual "i see you fly a lot with AFKL and we appreciate it. if there is anything extra we can do today let us know".
Maestro Ramen and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 8:40 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
but I can't help but wonder if this is the real price of intra-Europe upgrades (rather the 199 we see): a bag of candy...
Well, for KL and the notorious "luxury food boxes" (aka high school canteen slop) they serve in J that really seems about the true value of an upgrade! You'd be mad to pay more.
Solevita, westi2002 and Warakian like this.
Old Jun 15, 2024, 4:35 am

Programs: FB Plat
1st ever op-up on AF/KL intra-European, CDG-AMS! Not sure though if it is Platinum effect or the effect of a short 40-min connection in AMS to maximize my chances of making it (I have been pushed from row 16 to row 4).

I was warned at the gate that I may not have food onboard, but eventually got my Wanderbox (which I surprisingly found very fine for a breakfast) without any issue.

Bad news is that I missed my connection in AMS. KL was proud to send me an email stating that as a FB Platinum member, I was among the first to be rebooked… but the computer has put me on the evening flight (>9h connection) while there were still free seats on the afternoon flight (~4h connection). I could make the change online though, now waiting for the compensation.

dkeng likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2024, 5:26 am

It could be that some other pax denied the box, that's why they offered it to you.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 12:32 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Let me pose this question here instead of at Xiamen Airlines which is tucked away with an incoherent bundle of threads under 'Other Asian airlines'. I am FB plat and will have soon an AMS-XMN flight in Y. My host booked and I can't manage my booking on the Xiamen Airlines website. It may or may not my FB FF number has been added. When I try seat selection I cannot book a seat for free, except some horrible middle seats in the back. Should my FB plat/STE+ status give me free seat selection there? Tnx for sharing experiences.
Old Jun 18, 2024, 12:39 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by atflyer
Let me pose this question here instead of at Xiamen Airlines which is tucked away with an incoherent bundle of threads under 'Other Asian airlines'. I am FB plat and will have soon an AMS-XMN flight in Y. My host booked and I can't manage my booking on the Xiamen Airlines website. It may or may not my FB FF number has been added. When I try seat selection I cannot book a seat for free, except some horrible middle seats in the back. Should my FB plat/STE+ status give me free seat selection there? Tnx for sharing experiences.
Not at all related this thread or forum.....but okay....

No. Last autumn I booked a pair of domestic flights direct on their website, I was able to select some seats at time of the résa and input my FB number but afterwards wasn't able to manage it online. But nowhere in Flying Blue does it state that free seat selection is perk of status for all ST airlines. But on-board you should get recognition (personalised greeting, bottle of water, newspaper).

You can try calling their call centre in whatever country you are, or failing that, their central office in China. +86 592 22 26 666 during their business hours.
atflyer and ofj like this.
Old Jun 18, 2024, 4:02 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by mlin32
Not at all related this thread or forum.....but okay....

No. Last autumn I booked a pair of domestic flights direct on their website, I was able to select some seats at time of the résa and input my FB number but afterwards wasn't able to manage it online. But nowhere in Flying Blue does it state that free seat selection is perk of status for all ST airlines. But on-board you should get recognition (personalised greeting, bottle of water, newspaper).

You can try calling their call centre in whatever country you are, or failing that, their central office in China. +86 592 22 26 666 during their business hours.
All clear. As indicated I posted here since it is a question on plat benefits, although you are right it is not a 'plat effect'.......I once managed to ask per email a seat reservation for a short haul flight which works, but you are probably right for long-haul it is payment or nothing. Tnx, fine to steer the discussion back to topic. I was now a few times the recipient of a water bottle and a (Chinese!) newspaper with Chinese airlines, almost for sure thanks to my plat status with FB.
ofj likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2024, 9:09 pm

CDG-YOW June 25
As a gold status member (almost Platinum), I was surprised when the purser came to me in Premium Economy (and no one else) and welcomed me aboard shortly after takeoff. She offered information about the flight and asked whether I was having a nice experience. Asked if she could do anything to make my flight better and once I didn't have any special request, she wished me a nice flight. Totally unexpected and a nice gesture!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.