Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New T&C for Flying Blue

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Who is going to report a death, if all miles including those transfered in from family members, are canceled?
Well, if you do not report the death and use the miles in the family leader account for a redemption, that would be a fraudulent use of miles, opening, at least theoretically, the possibility of a civil action by Flying Blue and, in some jurisdiction, criminal prosecution for fraud. Whether this would be likely to happen is a different question but it is no different from using the account of a deceased member by logging in with their credentials since, there too, there is a disincentive to reporting the death as miles are immediately cancelled upon death.

Incidentally, the way I read it, miles earned by family members do not automatically get transferred to the family leader: the family leader sees them and can use them but, until he or she explicitly transfers them, they remain in the member's account.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Who is going to report a death, if all miles including those transfered in from family members, are canceled?
Indeed with the conditions as written one must take care to not die between transferring miles and spending them.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I fear this means you/your parents are now in breach of 1.3.6 of the T&Cs!!
If you've failed to include your daughter, does that mean you have her password, too?
My daughter is 3 years old, I don't think she knows what a password is yet ;-)
As for my parents, I set up the accounts for them including the passwords, so technically they haven't shared them with me ;-)
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
I also noticed that upgrades with miles now allow only one class upgrade per person. Not sure if that has been the case for AF, but for KL it means that with the new premium economy being introduced, one cannot upgrade from economy to business anymore in miles.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Indeed with the conditions as written one must take care to not die between transferring miles and spending them.
I would instead say: you should not transfer the miles until it is time to make an award redemption that requires such a transfer.

Just like I advise people not to buy miles on spec ("but there's a 50%/75%/100% *bonus* on mileage purchases!"), or to transfer credit card points over to FB ("but there's a transfer bonus in operation!"), there is no good reason to consolidate mileage in any manner, unless it is for the purposes of bringing your existing total up to a threshold where you need it to make an immediate redemption!!!
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Also, besides the mentioned "under 18 years old" another restriction for kids in a family account is that they are 2 years or older.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
This is going to be a hot topic going forward, giving the frequency with which members of other Skyteam mileage programmes come here to complain about having miles end up in Flying Blue after associating an FB number with their booking, together with the other programme they actually wish to have their flights credit in....
Another problematic aspect of clause 2.10 is in the first sentence, which specifies only one FFP programme per booking including for perks, i.e. precluding the use of one programme for miles accumulation and another programme for elite recognition (access to lounge, baggage entitlement, etc...).
The one FFP per booking is particularly drastic, as you could not use one FFP on the way out and another FFP on the return, for instance. On a literal reading of clause 2.10. this seems to apply even if you have a ticket with flights in different alliances. Whether they actually enforce that remains to be seen. If you book via an experienced TA who knows what they are doing, the TA should be able to allocate different segments to different FFPs so, as long as the crediting happens correctly automatically, one should still in any even be OK. Besides, you would not be requiring an un-posting from FB in this situation so that should not be a problem in practice.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by arjen05
Also, besides the mentioned "under 18 years old" another restriction for kids in a family account is that they are 2 years or older.
2 years has been the minimum age for joining FB anyway.
irishguy28 and r0gerthat like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arjen05
I also noticed that upgrades with miles now allow only one class upgrade per person. Not sure if that has been the case for AF, but for KL it means that with the new premium economy being introduced, one cannot upgrade from economy to business anymore in miles.
Yes, the wording here is now clearer - previously it said that a "double upgrade" from Economy to First was not allowed - but the old definition of "Reward Upgrade" at the start of the April 2018 T&Cs already limited an upgrade to the next class of service up:
Attached Images  
Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Thumbs up Family Accounts now live on Flying Blue

I just came across this new navigation item on the left navigation of my Flying Blue Profile page: "Flying Blue Family"

Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Under discussion here: I already asked the mods to update the title to the only interesting change

New T&C for Flying Blue
f0zzyNUE likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
Another problematic aspect of clause 2.10 is in the first sentence, which specifies only one FFP programme per booking including for perks, i.e. precluding the use of one programme for miles accumulation and another programme for elite recognition (access to lounge, baggage entitlement, etc...).
The one FFP per booking is particularly drastic, as you could not use one FFP on the way out and another FFP on the return, for instance. On a literal reading of clause 2.10. this seems to apply even if you have a ticket with flights in different alliances. Whether they actually enforce that remains to be seen. If you book via an experienced TA who knows what they are doing, the TA should be able to allocate different segments to different FFPs so, as long as the crediting happens correctly automatically, one should still in any even be OK. Besides, you would not be requiring an un-posting from FB in this situation so that should not be a problem in practice.
So as a Delta Platinum Medallion, if I’m flying on a FB award ticket, I won’t get Sky Team Elite+ benefits on the route now? That’s not cool and sound contrary to the nature of alliance elite recognition.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:49 am

I suppose you can still claim your perks by showing your card?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
So as a Delta Platinum Medallion, if I’m flying on a FB award ticket, I won’t get Sky Team Elite+ benefits on the route now? That’s not cool and sound contrary to the nature of alliance elite recognition.
No; that same verbiage already existed in the previous Flying Blue T&Cs and Skymiles status holders holding a Flying Blue award booking could of course gain obtain lounge access, etc, upon showing proof of their Skyteam Elite Plus status. As you correctly point out, the obligation of alliance recognition trumps this (which really only should be read in the context of selecting one programme in which to earn miles).

The relevant part of the T&Cs should be understood as applying only to the question of mileage earning on revenue tickets and now formally prevents mixing/matching of earning into more than one programme on one ticket, which previously was a bit of a grey area, but now is explicitly ruled out.
blairvanhorn and beachmouse like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
I've successfully set up a family account for my parents (and transferred miles from my dad to my mom), but I've been unable transfer miles from my daughter to myself (in our own family account) - it just fails without an error (in a network trace I see an internal server error).
​​​​​​Can you transfer XPs or only miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.