Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

ITA Airways finally listed as Flying Blue Partner - with a twist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black

Finally ITA airways is listed as partner airline on the Flying Blue page.

However you can ONLY earn when flying them on a AF/KL flight number

EARN MILES AND GAIN XP

Earn Miles and gain XP on flights marketed as Air France (AF) and/or KLM (KL) and operated by ITA Airways (AZ).

You will earn Miles like you normally do on Air France and/or KLM-marketed flights.

(1) Earning Miles and gaining XP isn’t possible for:
  • Reward tickets (tickets booked using Miles)
  • Flights marketed as ITA Airways (AZ) and operated by ITA Airways (AZ)

https://www.flyingblue.de/en/earn-sp...ion?country=DE

That's the shittiest SkyTeam partner integration in the Flying Blue program. I hope this will change somewhere in the future.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, as far as miles and XP earning is concerned, it is the same as no integration at all: you always earn miles and XPs on a AF or KL-coded flight, even when it is operated by a non-partner. As far as I can see, the only form of integration is the "enjoying Skyteam benefits worldwide", so things like priority check-in and boarding, lounge access, extra baggage, etc... It remains to be seen how that works in reality.
f0zzyNUE, mpkz, Digicola and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB
Well, as far as miles and XP earning is concerned, it is the same as no integration at all: you always earn miles and XPs on a AF or KL-coded flight, even when it is operated by a non-partner. As far as I can see, the only form of integration is the "enjoying Skyteam benefits worldwide", so things like priority check-in and boarding, lounge access, extra baggage, etc... It remains to be seen how that works in reality.
and it looks like that with the ITA Volare program you can only collect their points on ITA flights. at least they don't list earning opportunities on other airlines
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:15 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Well that's just useless. I hope they update it soon, otherwise it's a real joke.

The summer schedule is starting next week, I suppose it might be the first time there actually are codeshares on ITA metal available? If so, it could be just because of that, cause there's effectively no change. You could always earn on all KL/AF coded flights on all partners even non-alliance, and ITA did honor STE+ benefits even before they officially joined SkyTeam. I had SkyPriority and free bag back in October (no lounges were open back then)
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:59 am
Original Poster

I will fly from FCO to AMS on KL next Tuesday - and I am curious whether we will be admitted to the ITA lounge.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Well that's just useless. I hope they update it soon, otherwise it's a real joke.

The summer schedule is starting next week, I suppose it might be the first time there actually are codeshares on ITA metal available? If so, it could be just because of that, cause there's effectively no change. You could always earn on all KL/AF coded flights on all partners even non-alliance, and ITA did honor STE+ benefits even before they officially joined SkyTeam. I had SkyPriority and free bag back in October (no lounges were open back then)
It's the same with Delta - miles and status credits only earned only on a DL coded AZ flight. At least on the Delta website they state this as temporary solution.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
I will fly from FCO to AMS on KL next Tuesday - and I am curious whether we will be admitted to the ITA lounge.
At FCO AF/KL has only an aggrement with the Plaza Premium Lounge, they don't pay the ITA lounge and ITA will not let you in
Happen to me 2weeks ago and it's written on the webiste of ITA and i was flying on an ITA flight and ITA marketed flight so for you on a KL one for sure you'll not enter
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by AurelAF96
At FCO AF/KL has only an aggrement with the Plaza Premium Lounge, they don't pay the ITA lounge and ITA will not let you in
Happen to me 2weeks ago and it's written on the webiste of ITA and i was flying on an ITA flight and ITA marketed flight so for you on a KL one for sure you'll not enter
on ITA flight? that does not sound right. The operating airline is the one responsible for the lounge cost, not the status airline.
Anyway the point is, Plaza Premium for KL flights, not ITA lounge.
f0zzyNUE likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
on ITA flight? that does not sound right. The operating airline is the one responsible for the lounge cost, not the status airline.
Anyway the point is, Plaza Premium for KL flights, not ITA lounge.
No; the configuration is (look back to point #5): FCO-AMS, flying KL, ITA Lounge.
And of course the answer is: No.
The operating airline (KL) will pay for admittance to "their" lounge (Plaza Premium), so KL will not pay for their passengers to use the ITA lounge (no such contract exists at FCO - yet!)
f0zzyNUE likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
No; the configuration is (look back to point #5): FCO-AMS, flying KL, ITA Lounge.
And of course the answer is: No.
The operating airline (KL) will pay for admittance to "their" lounge (Plaza Premium), so KL will not pay for their passengers to use the ITA lounge (no such contract exists at FCO - yet!)
yeah - that's really crazy as there is a SkyTeam airline with a lounge that does not allow other SkyTeam passengers who don't fly the airline. Nothing I would expect from an alliance member.
Anyway the Plaza Premium lounge is cool as well and I now know that I have to directly approach the Plaza Premium lounge instead of the ITA lounge.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
yeah - that's really crazy as there is a SkyTeam airline with a lounge that does not allow other SkyTeam passengers who don't fly the airline. Nothing I would expect from an alliance member.
I agree.

Skyteam should not have rushed to announce that ITA is a member, when for all intents and purposes it still appears to have a very long way to go to being a full member...
NickB, fifty_two, Fabo.sk and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I agree.

Skyteam should not have rushed to announce that ITA is a member, when for all intents and purposes it still appears to have a very long way to go to being a full member...
Obviously, they rushed to avoid ITA to go in bed with LH. But this ITA in ST is a real joke.
f0zzyNUE likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 5:11 am

Wasn't it also the case that AZ didn't allow E+ (don't know the reason, or if it was just a matter of capacity control) in to FCO lounges if they were not flying AZ?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stil
Wasn't it also the case that AZ didn't allow E+ (don't know the reason, or if it was just a matter of capacity control) in to FCO lounges if they were not flying AZ?
I remember visiting the AZ lounges as Flying Blue Platinum flying KL or AF from FCO.
Stil likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
In the reverse, I'm hoping to use AF lounges on long haul this weekend with SkyTeam Elite Plus from ITA this weekend and next but the AF Facebook team couldn't let me know if it was going to work. I have PP backups just in case but I'll report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.