Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

How do I unlink a westjet rewards number from a flying blue account?

How do I unlink a westjet rewards number from a flying blue account?

Old Mar 18, 22, 10:20 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 74
How do I unlink a westjet rewards number from a flying blue account?

I created a flying blue account last night because I'll be taking 3 long-haul business-class flights all on AF/KLM in the coming months. I was allowed to select a loyalty program when booking, and obviously as a Canadian I just assumed I'd add one I could use back home, but I didn't have my Westjet Rewards number handy, so I just left it blank for the time being.

When I looked up after the fact how many Westjet dollars I'd be earning for this trip, the value was basically nothing, and the flights would not count towards status. So instead I've signed up for flying blue, and will achieve gold status with them before even finishing all itineraries, and will have enough points to at least redeem for something worthwhile. And even though I don't live in Europe, and it's not going to be super valuable or convenient to have flying blue status, crediting these flights to Westjet is a waste anyway so I'll still get more value from this.

However, now that I'm logged into flying blue, and managing my bookings..... my Westjet rewards number is automatically there. And I can't figure out how it got there because I didn't give it to them (linked to email? pulled from historic flights?). And I can't remove or change it:



Why? How? I don't want to be credited the rewards for my upcoming flights to westjet..... because westjet rewards sucks in this scenario.
p106_peppy is offline  
Old Mar 18, 22, 10:23 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 3,863
You have to call to have it changed. Also, you probably added it somehow, Flying Blue can't get your WestJet number automatically.
keitherson is offline  
Old Mar 18, 22, 12:00 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Posts: 2,665
Deleted
carnarvon is offline  
Old Mar 19, 22, 2:30 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 19,141
Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
You have to call to have it changed. Also, you probably added it somehow, Flying Blue can't get your WestJet number automatically.
Agreed.
To OP, did you log-in at one point to your westjet account and pulled out the AF booking ? If yes, this is likely how the westjet number got added.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Mar 19, 22, 2:44 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Amsterdam
Programs: FB Club 2000, M&M Hon
Posts: 228
Originally Posted by p106_peppy View Post
I created a flying blue account last night because I'll be taking 3 long-haul business-class flights all on AF/KLM in the coming months. I was allowed to select a loyalty program when booking, and obviously as a Canadian I just assumed I'd add one I could use back home, but I didn't have my Westjet Rewards number handy, so I just left it blank for the time being.

When I looked up after the fact how many Westjet dollars I'd be earning for this trip, the value was basically nothing, and the flights would not count towards status. So instead I've signed up for flying blue, and will achieve gold status with them before even finishing all itineraries.
3 long-haul business-class flights will give you 6*36 XP (max) . Not enough to reach gold.
tgv2 is offline  
Old Mar 19, 22, 2:52 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 19,141
Originally Posted by tgv2 View Post
3 long-haul business-class flights will give you 6*36 XP (max) . Not enough to reach gold.
There is a 50% XP bonus until mid-year.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Mar 23, 22, 12:42 pm
  #7  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,528
Similar question ; why I can't change my FF program on AF web site nor by phone !!
HUCA couple of times + spoke with flying blue agent and they can not change my FF
they can add only FB and no other program
The screen on the AF web site is frozen
I asked to remove FB , they did but I can't add any FF program on the web site
Any idea ?

I told the agent in French that I should be able to credit mile to any frequent flyer program I want but they told me that I have to call.... "frequent flyer".....(like there is a program called "frequent flyer" (she was not refering to the FF in question but the frequent flyer program called "frequent flyer"
If you give peanuts you have monkey .

Last edited by CGRA; Mar 23, 22 at 12:49 pm
CGRA is offline  
Old Mar 23, 22, 1:42 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: GOT
Programs: KL Plat
Posts: 400
Why? Good question.

I would have said you could change it on the Saudia website, but checking now for me at least their website is almost totally non-functional (none of the buttons at the top do anything). Similarly going to the MMB page from Google results in a java.lang.NullPointerException error...

I think they may have outsourced their web team from AF.
Solevita is offline  
Old Mar 23, 22, 2:27 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by tgv2 View Post
3 long-haul business-class flights will give you 6*36 XP (max) . Not enough to reach gold.

3 round trips, plus a couple of shorter legs.

Using the KLM xp simulator, I should have 282xp by July. Factoring in the 50% bonus someone mentioned, I'll actually end up at 343 XP.

I'll hit silver May 28, gold June 9th, and platinum July 3rd.

Last edited by p106_peppy; Mar 23, 22 at 2:53 pm
p106_peppy is offline  
Old Mar 23, 22, 2:45 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
There is a 50% XP bonus until mid-year.
Hot digity. In that case I'll actually make platinum.
p106_peppy is offline  
Old Mar 23, 22, 2:58 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold; BA Rust
Posts: 26,267
Originally Posted by CGRA View Post
(like there is a program called "frequent flyer" (she was not refering to the FF in question but the frequent flyer program called "frequent flyer"
There actually *is* a frequent flyer program called "Frequent Flyer"! And it's the most profitable FFP outside of the United States!

Its members can earn miles/points on AF and KL, just as Flying Blue members can earn miles/XP on that programme's airline - Qantas!
Attached Images  
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Mar 23, 22, 3:00 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold; BA Rust
Posts: 26,267
Originally Posted by p106_peppy View Post
Hot digity. In that case I'll actually make platinum.
Beware that there is at least a chance that the miles for some of these flights will end up posting to your Westjet account. We get frequent reports here from people who associated both a Delta Skymiles number and a Flying Blue number with their AF/KL bookings, and the miles frequently end up in the wrong account.
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Mar 24, 22, 1:38 am
  #13  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,528
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
There actually *is* a frequent flyer program called "Frequent Flyer"! And it's the most profitable FFP outside of the United States!

Its members can earn miles/points on AF and KL, just as Flying Blue members can earn miles/XP on that programme's airline - Qantas!
Thank you for the info, I'll inform the AF agent )
Any idea how to change / add a FF program ? This is out of this world that we can not do do it online and even air france by phone can not do it

How a company can operate with this kind of people / service , horrible
CGRA is offline  
Old Mar 24, 22, 6:15 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold; BA Rust
Posts: 26,267
Originally Posted by CGRA View Post
Any idea how to change / add a FF program ? This is out of this world that we can not do do it online and even air france by phone can not do it
It's not something that you, as the passenger, can do yourself.

The passenger is asked for certain pieces of information when making a booking - like name and surname - and do not have the opportunity to later make changes themselves to that information.

Frequent Flyer details are considered a similar "once-off" type of information (by the overwhelming majority of airlines, at least in Europe anyway).

There used to be a number of workarounds (the Garuda website was one, but I assume this avenue has since also been closed off) where you could *add* further frequent flyer numbers; however, there is no reliable way for the traveller themselves to *remove* an existing frequent flyer number, and to add a different frequent flyer number.

In the normal scheme of things, this information, once given, should never need to be changed - people tend not to shut down their Flying Blue account and then open a brand new one, for example. Again, the logic is that the average passenger is not in possession of more than one frequent flyer account in the same alliance, so the ability to "change" from collecting in e.g. Flying Blue, to collecting in e.g. Skymiles is not foreseen.

Now, if it is of benefit of you to maintain more than one FFP in the Skyteam Alliance (or, indeed, if you also collect miles with a non-Skyteam member which allows earning on AF and KL - such as the aforementioned Qantas Frequent Flyer! ) and you think, or know, that you may later change your strategy and decide/want to accrue mileage for a particular ticket into a different program - then I would advise you to not give ANY frequent flyer number until just before departure of the flight. I know that this doesn't help you with your current query, but going forward, it gives you a greater element of control. To enable yourself the flexibility to be able to "add" the correct frequent flyer account, then you must show restraint and wait until such time as you can make an irrevocable selection as to which FFP number you enter into the booking. The passenger can always themselves ADD a single FFP - but they cannot themselves CHANGE that FFP.

If this is likely to be an ongoing issue for you, and if consolidating all your Skyteam flying into a single FFP is not an option, and if being able to self-select which FFP should earn for each ticket, then to get around this constraint you must just learn to wait until shortly before departure before associating any frequent flyer details with each booking. This also means not booking the flights while logged into an FFP account, or logged into an airline account (and ignoring any requests to "log in" such that they can pre-fill your name, address, payment details etc - because this will also associate that particular FFP with the booking).

Now, on the matter of this ticket for which you wish to change the FFP details - as you have not been able to have your request handled over the phone, you can always request at check-in that the agent deletes the existing number, and adds the number that you want to have placed into the booking.



Originally Posted by CGRA View Post
How a company can operate with this kind of people / service , horrible
Well, now that you realise the limitations and constraints regarding being able to freely add/delete/replace frequent flyer details, you will see the importance on your part, to allow you this flexibility, of showing restraint, and taking good care NOT to enter any FFP details at all, until such time as you can make an irrevocable choice for which one you want to use on any particular ticket.
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Mar 24, 22, 8:50 am
  #15  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,528
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
It's not something that you, as the passenger, can do yourself.

The passenger is asked for certain pieces of information when making a booking - like name and surname - and do not have the opportunity to later make changes themselves to that information.

Frequent Flyer details are considered a similar "once-off" type of information (by the overwhelming majority of airlines, at least in Europe anyway).

There used to be a number of workarounds (the Garuda website was one, but I assume this avenue has since also been closed off) where you could *add* further frequent flyer numbers; however, there is no reliable way for the traveller themselves to *remove* an existing frequent flyer number, and to add a different frequent flyer number.

In the normal scheme of things, this information, once given, should never need to be changed - people tend not to shut down their Flying Blue account and then open a brand new one, for example. Again, the logic is that the average passenger is not in possession of more than one frequent flyer account in the same alliance, so the ability to "change" from collecting in e.g. Flying Blue, to collecting in e.g. Skymiles is not foreseen.

Now, if it is of benefit of you to maintain more than one FFP in the Skyteam Alliance (or, indeed, if you also collect miles with a non-Skyteam member which allows earning on AF and KL - such as the aforementioned Qantas Frequent Flyer! ) and you think, or know, that you may later change your strategy and decide/want to accrue mileage for a particular ticket into a different program - then I would advise you to not give ANY frequent flyer number until just before departure of the flight. I know that this doesn't help you with your current query, but going forward, it gives you a greater element of control. To enable yourself the flexibility to be able to "add" the correct frequent flyer account, then you must show restraint and wait until such time as you can make an irrevocable selection as to which FFP number you enter into the booking. The passenger can always themselves ADD a single FFP - but they cannot themselves CHANGE that FFP.

If this is likely to be an ongoing issue for you, and if consolidating all your Skyteam flying into a single FFP is not an option, and if being able to self-select which FFP should earn for each ticket, then to get around this constraint you must just learn to wait until shortly before departure before associating any frequent flyer details with each booking. This also means not booking the flights while logged into an FFP account, or logged into an airline account (and ignoring any requests to "log in" such that they can pre-fill your name, address, payment details etc - because this will also associate that particular FFP with the booking).

Now, on the matter of this ticket for which you wish to change the FFP details - as you have not been able to have your request handled over the phone, you can always request at check-in that the agent deletes the existing number, and adds the number that you want to have placed into the booking.





Well, now that you realise the limitations and constraints regarding being able to freely add/delete/replace frequent flyer details, you will see the importance on your part, to allow you this flexibility, of showing restraint, and taking good care NOT to enter any FFP details at all, until such time as you can make an irrevocable choice for which one you want to use on any particular ticket.
Thank you very much. I have learnt something today
CGRA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread