Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Light fare seat assignment on Delta metal?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, AA PM
Light fare seat assignment on Delta metal?

Looking at direct NYC-EDI flights on DL metal this summer and while DL, AF and KLM are all pricing the same, it looks like DL Basic Fare doesn't allow seat selection at all until DOD, whereas at least AF and KLM do, albeit at a cost. Is that correct? And if, so does anyone know more or less how much assigning seats costs? 5 pax so even small differences add up. TIA!

* Forgot to mention one person is DL Silver but that's it for status.

Last edited by snaporaz; Mar 9, 2022 at 1:01 pm
Old Mar 9, 2022, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by snaporaz
Looking at direct NYC-EDI flights on DL metal this summer and while DL, AF and KLM are all pricing the same, it looks like DL Basic Fare doesn't allow seat selection at all until DOD, whereas at least AF and KLM do, albeit at a cost. Is that correct? And if, so does anyone know more or less how much assigning seats costs? 5 pax so even small differences add up. TIA!

* Forgot to mention one person is DL Silver but that's it for status.
You might want to ask on the Delta forum.

However, things that I know:
  • From personal experience, flying on KLM/AF on a KLM/AF Light Fare as a Delta Silver, I get one piece of checked luggage, and my travelling companion and I both get free seat selection. I assume that would extend to a reservation with 5 PAX, but don't know.
  • DL Basic Economy fares do not allow seat selection before check-in. I think that there may be an opportunity to buy seat selection in advance, but it is not guaranteed. I don't know what happens if you buy a KLM coded ticket for a flight operated by DL. I wouldn't believe anything that DL or KLM would tell you on that question.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
You might want to ask on the Delta forum.

However, things that I know:
  • From personal experience, flying on KLM/AF on a KLM/AF Light Fare as a Delta Silver, I get one piece of checked luggage, and my travelling companion and I both get free seat selection. I assume that would extend to a reservation with 5 PAX, but don't know.
  • DL Basic Economy fares do not allow seat selection before check-in. I think that there may be an opportunity to buy seat selection in advance, but it is not guaranteed. I don't know what happens if you buy a KLM coded ticket for a flight operated by DL. I wouldn't believe anything that DL or KLM would tell you on that question.
DL BE is even worse in that the DL computer assigns you a seat or you get a seat request card instead of a boarding pass at check in and the GA gives you a seat as boarding starts; you don't get to choose it during OLCI. Also, they say that seat assignments aren't changeable on BE tickets (although I suspect that some lounge agents or even GAs might be willing to do it if it's not too complicated and you ask nicely). Families tend to be assigned the blocked seats in the last few rows of the aircraft, although the concern is merely that a *small* child should be seated adjacent to *one* parent or other adult.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL BE is even worse in that the DL computer assigns you a seat or you get a seat request card instead of a boarding pass at check in and the GA gives you a seat as boarding starts; you don't get to choose it during OLCI. Also, they say that seat assignments aren't changeable on BE tickets (although I suspect that some lounge agents or even GAs might be willing to do it if it's not too complicated and you ask nicely). Families tend to be assigned the blocked seats in the last few rows of the aircraft, although the concern is merely that a *small* child should be seated adjacent to *one* parent or other adult.
As a DL Silver, there virtually no benefit to booking a Standard fare on KLM instead of a Light fare. The Silver status gives me free seat selection and one free bag. I suppose if I booked a standard fare I would get two free bags (Silver gets you the normal bag allowance for the fare you are travelling on + 1), but I never travel with more than one checked bag.

There is also the anomaly that travelling on a KLM Light fare gives me Skymiles accrual, while with a Basic Economy fare on Delta there is no mileage accrual.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:05 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
From what I understand, though without personal experience, is that Delta only sells a limited number of Basic fares on each flight. With KLM you can choose Light for every seat that is being sold. When you buy a KLM Light fare while Basic Economy is still available you are booked into basic, if Basic is no longer available you will be in the main cabin. When booked in Basic Ecoomy, even on a KL codeshare, you won't be able to do seat selection.

Like I said I do not have personal experience - however read the above somewhere recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.