Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Economy seat sold as "business class" by blocking middle row seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy seat sold as "business class" by blocking middle row seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by husseinbadr
But let me go back to my original point: when you paid for business class, you got a wider seat with more legroom, even in Europe. European airlines have moved away from that standard, and not too long ago either; the rest of the world, by and large, has not.
Do you mean the convertible seats? Those that had collapsible armrests and were spaces a few ratchet holes further apart than in the back? Or do you mean big armchairs? If you mean the latter, I'd love to see some vintage LH/BA/AF photos of these.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by husseinbadr
The comments on this thread have been very interesting. But let me go back to my original point: when you paid for business class, you got a wider seat with more legroom, even in Europe. European airlines have moved away from that standard, and not too long ago either; the rest of the world, by and large, has not. When the OP expressed his surprise at the hard-product standards of European business class (a perfectly natural reaction, it seems to me, for someone unfamiliar with these standards), the thread quickly turned into a US-bashing forum (right down to public toilet facilities!) for some unfathomable reason which I can only attribute to prejudice. Yet, amusingly enough, these same people were quick to take offense and turn defensive at my characterisation of the European hard-product standard as "euro trash".
A US-bashing thread? Prejudiced against the US? Please.

I am an American, who lived for several years in both Asia and Europe. I pointed out that things worked differently in different places - cultural expectations around products and services vary in different markets. Anyone who does business internationally either knows that or will quickly learn. And that people who encounter things that are different are often taken off guard. Americans arriving in Europe find things that they don’t like. And Europeans arriving in America find things they don’t like. I was the one that brought up the toilets, as an example to illustrate the point around these differences in preferences and expectations (for what it’s worth, I find American toilets fine, but know a ton of people from elsewhere that are bothered by them). From an outsiders perspective, those things may often be perceived as inferior. But to a local perspective, they may find different value in them, because their norms and expectations differ - things one culture values, another might less so and vice versa.

But calling something trash, prefixing it with a reference to their culture/geography/country is crossing another bridge entirely and is offensive.

Think of all the possible components that can go into a premium short-haul air travel product. And then think about which ones your target market will value, is willing to pay for and that you can profitably offer. European carriers and American carriers have both done this exercise - and they’ve reached different answers as to which are essential to offer and which are not. They know their markets and their customers. And their markets and customers are different.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
I fondly remember this summer on a CDG-ATH an American couple boarding our AF flight after (what I assume was) their redeye from somewhere in the US, and trying to leave the plane, arguing that since there was no business class seats, that couldn't possibly be their plane and that they must have boarded the wrong flight.
Goldorak, Xandrios, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Do you mean the convertible seats? Those that had collapsible armrests and were spaces a few ratchet holes further apart than in the back? Or do you mean big armchairs? If you mean the latter, I'd love to see some vintage LH/BA/AF photos of these.
Will you settle for KL?

Johan
Didymis likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BubbaX
Let's put it in simpler terms: fat seats are nice.
They sure are.

Here's the thing about the various J class concepts: the seat is a given. I have to sit in it. I do not have to eat the food offered, if any. Should I wish, I can bring my own. But I do have to sit in that seat. I do not have to drink the beverages offered, if any. Should I wish, I can bring my own. But I do have to sit in that seat. I do not necessarily need to visit a lounge, or may not have even have time to. But I do have to sit in that seat.

For me, the seat is the clincher. In European J, with almost no exceptions, the seats suck. With each new generation they suck even more. It's all about reducing weight and saving space these days, "enhancements" glazed with green frosting these days.

When traveling to longhaul destinations I cannot reach directly, I try to avoid transfers at European hubs and instead when possible opt for EK, QR or TK. At least I get decent seats on all flights.

Johan
BubbaX likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
As to what it was like in the 60s, well that is about as relevant as the colour of my first pair of socks. Air transport now has massively changed compared to what it was a few decades ago. Perhaps there was more of a uniform international de facto standard then.
Of course there was, the whole thing was a big IATA supervised Flag Carrier oligopoly. I can't recall the color of my first pair of socks, but from a passenger perspective the whole experience was very much more pleasant in just about every respect. Yes, yes, with prices to match, but hey, I wasn't the one paying. I got the whole experience for free. It was great!

Johan
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Here's the thing about the various J class concepts: the seat is a given. I have to sit in it. I do not have to eat the food offered, if any. Should I wish, I can bring my own. But I do have to sit in that seat. I do not have to drink the beverages offered, if any. Should I wish, I can bring my own. But I do have to sit in that seat. I do not necessarily need to visit a lounge, or may not have even have time to. But I do have to sit in that seat.
Johan
After so many posts in this long thread, finally, one that hits the nail on the head!
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
And there are Europeans who show up in America and are horrified that the toilet stalls are not fully enclosed, but open at the top and bottom.
Is this because in America "mine is bigger than yours" is big?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
Is this because in America "mine is bigger than yours" is big?
Actually, it's probably one of those reforms that passes the House but gets hung up in the Senate.
johan rebel likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Actually, it's probably one of those reforms that passes the House but gets hung up in the Senate.
Serious though. Why are the toilets "exposed" in the US? For all the privacy that's demanded in the US, why are the toilets so exposed especially on the sides?
FabCW likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 1:49 pm

Serious though. Why are the toilets "exposed" in the US? For all the privacy that's demanded in the US, why are the toilets so exposed especially on the sides?
The twisted result of puritan culture. Everything is good to prevent people from having sex.
carnarvon likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Giovanniwants
There used to be a commercial where a guy was sitting in economy but his ticket showed business class. He showed the flight attendant and the flight attendant just rudely moved the curtain that separates cabins from in front of him to behind him, dragging it across him as she moved it (...)
You can watch it here : Air liberté : Le rideau - Culture Pub
nancypants and Beltway2A like this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by carnarvon
the irony of it being a defunct/liquidated BA affiliate with “proper” business class seats
Old Mar 13, 2022, 12:19 am

Programs: FB
Ease of cleaning. You can put a single drain in the room and run a mop without having to scrub the walls as often. Also the American design involves using an ample amount of water in the bowl to reduce the odor. This also seems to lead to more clog/overflow conditions, and again, you're going to want to hose the floor down.
Finally, yes, enforcement. Just like the same companies that cater your airline meals in the US serve millions of meals a day in prisons, schools, universities, and hospitals, the same goes for how toilet stalls get built. First, stalls are optional. Second, the lack of privacy should deter unsanctioned behavior (smoking cigarettes, drug deals, and so on). Third, the enforcers -- guards, school principals, etc. -- need to find people who often hide in bathrooms.

As for morality, well, these aren't Dutch townhouses, advertising their Calvinist virtues to the neighborhood. Plenty of Americans get up to all kinds of things in those stalls. Presumably, Senator Larry Craig used that infamous men's room in the MSP concourse because he found the WorldClub stalls too restricting.
So, I'd say they're looking for more legal transparency and enforcement than morality. But maybe it's too fine a point.
That said, nothing "beats" MUC, which used to have a Beater Uhse adult store in the non-Schengen *A terminal, and second entrance from the men's room.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Ease of cleaning. You can put a single drain in the room and run a mop without having to scrub the walls as often. Also the American design involves using an ample amount of water in the bowl to reduce the odor. This also seems to lead to more clog/overflow conditions, and again, you're going to want to hose the floor down.
Finally, yes, enforcement. Just like the same companies that cater your airline meals in the US serve millions of meals a day in prisons, schools, universities, and hospitals, the same goes for how toilet stalls get built. First, stalls are optional. Second, the lack of privacy should deter unsanctioned behavior (smoking cigarettes, drug deals, and so on). Third, the enforcers -- guards, school principals, etc. -- need to find people who often hide in bathrooms.
Ease of cleaning can explain why you don't have a totally enclosed stall. But stalls with a couple centimeters off from the bottom are completely normal in Europe. They still don't have an inch gap around the doors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.