Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

USA resident applying for Air France/KLM AMEX credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM, AF

I've seen a few members mention applying for and receiving the French and/or Dutch Flying Blue Amex card while being a resident of the US. I'm hoping someone could help me with some more specifics of how that would be possible -- either through a PM or reply to this thread. The SUB is okay, but looking to get those XPs to give me a head start each year. I already have the us version and wanted to double up if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:03 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
You need a French or Dutch bank account.

Then they may, I repeat, may issue a card for you.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: FB, SPG, AccorHotels, Hertz, Avis
Not sure how easy it is to get a bank account in France as a foreigner, but in the NL, all it took for me was one trip to the Netherlands. Apply for a "Burgerservicenummer", which is issued directly (you must pre book a slot for that), then walk to a mobile phone shop to get a pre-paid NL phone number (just remember to top it up often enough so it does not expire), then walk to a bank and apply for an account. Use that account to apply for the Amex and make sure to keep money in that account to pay for the Amex charges, monthly account fees etc.
You might want to check before if the bank will open an account for you though, it was easy being a German...
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: FB Gold
European banks generally don't just allow non-residents to open bank accounts without a good reason, and given the extra-onerous reporting requirements for US citizens, I would say you have to have a stable link to the country in order to open a bank account.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by natcho
(...) You might want to check before if the bank will open an account for you though, it was easy being a German...
Easy because you are an EU citizen and presumably NOT a US resident.

EU banks are extremely reluctant to open bank accounts to US citizens as well as US tax payers due to drastic US extraterritorial tax laws.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
You can apply for Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard by Bank of America as a US resident. 60 XP on signup, 60 XP annual (with annual spend $15k+, otherwise 20XP).
SanDiego1K and natcho like this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
You can apply for Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard by Bank of America as a US resident. 60 XP on signup, 60 XP annual (with annual spend $15k+, otherwise 20XP).
He has it already, doesn't he?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: FB
There are only, what, six banks in the Netherlands? They all have to handle US persons among their clients, so there might be a way. They have additional charges for foreign accounts, so I assume those cover their costs. On the other hand, convincing a bank to open an account for a Dutch-resident US person is not trivial last time I tried.

The Dutch AmEx web form only works with a dutch residence code.
I assume the interest is the partner platinum benefit? Why else would you put up with their sterling customer service?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by BubbaX
There are only, what, six banks in the Netherlands? They all have to handle US persons among their clients, so there might be a way. They have additional charges for foreign accounts, so I assume those cover their costs.
If you say so...

The Dutch AmEx web form only works with a dutch residence code.
Then, you need to speak with an actual human being

I assume the interest is the partner platinum benefit? Why else would you put up with their sterling customer service?
He explained in his post, that he is looking for the extra XP.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: FB
Yeah, so basically: talking to a human being with the Dutch cards: not easy, and, in my experience, not effective. I think I'm being charged for two additional cards. The last one they suddenly decided I wanted, and after a forty-min wait on the phone, I spoke to someone who said she'd have it canceled. And I still get messages to activate the canceled card.
getting a Dutch bank account as a US Person and US Resident: you'll want to be there in person, with a BSN, and a good reason to have an account, and then good luck.
Getting a French bank account as a US Resident: oublie.
If you manage to pull it off, I'd be very interested in hearing the story. But it sounds like a real pain for just 30 or 60 XP. It'd be cheaper and less time consuming to get an intra-Europe connecting business class ticket.
But obviously, I don't eat my own falafel.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 2:25 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by carnarvon
You need a French or Dutch bank account.

Then they may, I repeat, may issue a card for you.
An European bank account (IBAN), to be more precise (e.g. my Dutch AMEX is linked to my Belgian bank account).
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by natcho
Not sure how easy it is to get a bank account in France as a foreigner, but in the NL, all it took for me was one trip to the Netherlands. Apply for a "Burgerservicenummer", which is issued directly (you must pre book a slot for that), then walk to a mobile phone shop to get a pre-paid NL phone number (just remember to top it up often enough so it does not expire), then walk to a bank and apply for an account. Use that account to apply for the Amex and make sure to keep money in that account to pay for the Amex charges, monthly account fees etc.
You might want to check before if the bank will open an account for you though, it was easy being a German...
I'm not sure it will be that easy. You can get a BSN as a non-resident but I am not sure if that will be enough to open a bank account. A bank might very well require a proof of address.

Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
An European bank account (IBAN), to be more precise (e.g. my Dutch AMEX is linked to my Belgian bank account).
This might no longer be possible after the latest hardening of the rules. There's been more emphasis on AML and KYC lately.

All in all, I would abandon this plan.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
Hmmm. The rule is Dutch bank account for Dutch Amex and French bank account for French Amex. Your case is an exception to the rule.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If you have an AMEX in another country, AMEX will generally issue a card in another. However you may have to apply over phone.
kauppias and remymartin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.