Search

Flying Blue Elite Status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2022, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AF-KL Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Flying Blue Elite Status

Happy New Year Guys!

So sorry if this has been asked several times before.

I recently upgraded to Flying Blue Silver in December taking advantage of AF-KL's double XP promotion. I believe I am under the old Flying Blue programme where my XP collection year ends on the 31st of December.

I now have 40XP to begin with and have more future flights with AF and KL- again taking advantage of their 50% bonus XP promotion until 30 June 2022. So with this, I anticipate I will be upgraded to Gold before the end of June and will finish the year with surplus XP as again, I have future flights with AF-KL at the later part of the year. The reason being switching loyalties from BA as I think BA service is going downhill and I've been impressed with all my flights with AF in 2021.

My question is, if I get upgraded to Gold by June this year, how long will this benefit last?

Thank you all
Old Jan 14, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: KL Plat
In the 'new' FB, your status year begins/resets when you go up a level. When you get to Gold, your earning period will restart and you'll benefit from either 12 or 15 months of Gold - it has been 12 months + 3 up to now, but it seems this extra 3 months has silently been dropped starting this year.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
12 months plus until end of the same month of qualification, which is also the same period you have to gather 180XP to requalify.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Solevita
In the 'new' FB, your status year begins/resets when you go up a level. When you get to Gold, your earning period will restart and you'll benefit from either 12 or 15 months of Gold
So to get from Blue to Platinum in one year a member will need 580 XP not 300 XP? Am I right in this logic?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
So to get from Blue to Platinum in one year a member will need 580 XP not 300 XP? Am I right in this logic?
Correct , 100 for silver + 180 for gold + 300 for platinum

Originally Posted by Solevita
but it seems this extra 3 months has silently been dropped starting this year.
what do you mean ?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
12 months plus until end of the same month of qualification, which is also the same period you have to gather 180XP to requalify.
So does this mean if I get Gold in June (hopefully, subject to entry requirements!), I’ll enjoy the benefits from June 2022 - December 2022 and I will then start my new qualification year as a Gold member? Also, any surplus XP from June 2022 - December 2022 will be carried over to next year?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
If you get Gold in June 2022, your Gold re-qualification year will start right away. You will have until end of June 2023 to either collect 180XP to stay Gold, or 300 XP to move up to Platinum. If you reach the 300XP for Platinum prior to end-of-June 2023, you will upgrade at that time directly (And have 12 months to collect another 300XP in order to not downgrade back to Gold).

Originally Posted by fifty_two
what do you mean ?
Previously you would get 15 months of status, of which the first 12 months could be used to gather XP to re-qualify. That benefit has silently been scrapped. The status is now valid for 12 months exactly. Meaning that if you don't manage to collect enough XP to re-qualify, you will downgrade immediately without that 3 months grace period. Which really sucks if you have travel scheduled at the end of the year (And depend on that for re qualification). You may downgrade for a couple of days until your XP's post.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Xandrios;33902124]If you get Gold in June 2022, your Gold re-qualification year will start right]

So that applies to me under the ‘old’ Flying Blue?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xandrios
If you get Gold in June 2022, your Gold re-qualification year will start right away. You will have until end of June 2023 to either collect 180XP to stay Gold, or 300 XP to move up to Platinum. If you reach the 300XP for Platinum prior to end-of-June 2023, you will upgrade at that time directly (And have 12 months to collect another 300XP in order to not downgrade back to Gold).

Previously you would get 15 months of status, of which the first 12 months could be used to gather XP to re-qualify. That benefit has silently been scrapped. The status is now valid for 12 months exactly. Meaning that if you don't manage to collect enough XP to re-qualify, you will downgrade immediately without that 3 months grace period. Which really sucks if you have travel scheduled at the end of the year (And depend on that for re qualification). You may downgrade for a couple of days until your XP's post.

so this applies to me under the ‘old’ Flying Blue?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:44 pm

There is no "old" Flying Blue. If you never increased your level since that time your personal qualification period remains aligned to the year, as well as if since then you've always maintained or gone down (never went up) or you happen to increase your level in December.

The change from 15 to 12 months of status affects everyone reaching the end of their qualification period.
ahopkins767 and J343 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 11:55 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Interesting. I didn’t realize the 3m grace period (if not requalifying) had been dropped.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
To hijack a little: just took a trip that should have gotten me to Silver, however because it was split over the end of the year and I used an old FB account [with nothing in it] my first 66XP got zeroed out at the end of the year. I had missed that FB were too lazy to properly sort out their IT when they moved to this rolling system. My wife - on a new account - should be Silver once the retro-claim for the return credits.

Interested to hear any advice. I can think of three possible options:
  1. Appeal to FB over the zeroing, and get upgraded to Silver.
  2. Have them reverse the credits, claim to a new FB account. I know some FFPs won't let you retroclaim things before you joined - not sure if this applies to FB?
  3. Reverse the credits, claim to Virgin where I'd get far more miles.
I have another trip this year which would put me in the region of Gold, were I justly credited my December flying - but in the longer term I probably wouldn't find myself with the flying patterns that would sustain much FB status. Likely Silver at best. With the pandemic, I'd been open to letting decent deals guide me between FB and BAEC for maintaining some status going forward but I can't say this has endeared me to the programme.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by etiene
To hijack a little: just took a trip that should have gotten me to Silver, however because it was split over the end of the year and I used an old FB account [with nothing in it] my first 66XP got zeroed out at the end of the year. I had missed that FB were too lazy to properly sort out their IT when they moved to this rolling system. My wife - on a new account - should be Silver once the retro-claim for the return credits.
FB does not operate a rolling system. They still operate on a 12 month basis. It is only when you reach a higher level in your current membership year that the clock resets. In your situation, your XPs properly reset at the end of your membership so there is nothing to appeal against and I doubt that they would let you reclaim to open a new account. Whether they would let you un-credit so as to enable you to credit to VS, I have no idea.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by NickB
FB does not operate a rolling system. They still operate on a 12 month basis. It is only when you reach a higher level in your current membership year that the clock resets. In your situation, your XPs properly reset at the end of your membership so there is nothing to appeal against and I doubt that they would let you reclaim to open a new account. Whether they would let you un-credit so as to enable you to credit to VS, I have no idea.
True, rolling is incorrect. However they could have moved all dormant/Explorer accounts to the same system as new accounts [XP year starts at first credit] when they switched systems so as to treat new and returning customers equally - they chose not to.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by etiene
I have another trip this year which would put me in the region of Gold, were I justly credited my December flying - but in the longer term I probably wouldn't find myself with the flying patterns that would sustain much FB status. Likely Silver at best. With the pandemic, I'd been open to letting decent deals guide me between FB and BAEC for maintaining some status going forward but I can't say this has endeared me to the programme.
If that's any consolation, FB Silver is a pretty useless status.
Real perks start to kick in at Gold. I would not recommend spending too much energy trying to secure FB Silver in the long run.
blairvanhorn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.