Covid 19 and Platinum for life [counter]

Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
If OP qualified in 2017 (i.e. before 1st of April 2018 changes) then the 1st year actually only starts on 1.1. 2018.
This is a very good point.

Perhaps the poster can clarify - on which date does does your membership year end?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Thank you for this discussion. It’s actually kind of interesting to see how the FB rules are interpreted across the board and even within FB customer service.

But i think for most of you disagreeing with me, you miss ONE important detail. Platinum status is not given backwards. I mean Platinum status is earned in advance and then you have Platinum status for 1 year ahead. If you want Platinum following year you need to reach the threshold within the current year to renew for another year.

So when you just calculate the new years lets say in my example since 2017-2024 Then its only 7 years PFL but its wrong because counting that way is opposite of how FB works. They give your status and then you have it 1 year. So your 10th year will be New Year 2026 which is Platinum for all 2027. If you achieve platinum in 2027 then you will have through 2028 and then i would be on 11 years.

This is why you need to calculate the actual years and not the end of a year because end of a year can mean + 1 more year.

Hope people get my point and it makes sense?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xtc200333
But i think for most of you disagreeing with me, you miss ONE important detail. Platinum status is not given backwards. I mean Platinum status is earned in advance and then you have Platinum status for 1 year ahead. If you want Platinum following year you need to reach the threshold within the current year to renew for another year.
You qualified for Platinum in 2017. This was before the changes of 1 April 2018. You qualified for Platinum at a time when going up in status didn't change your membership year in the manner that it does now, and in which all Flying Blue members had the same membership year - which, for everybody, was fixed to the calendar year. You retained a membership year that was fixed to the calendar year, and still have that membership year fixed to the calendar year.

On whatever date in 2017 you reached the Platinum threshold (which, at the time, was 60 Level Segments or 70,000 Level Miles (90,000 Level Miles if your account was registered in FR/MC)) you would have been upgraded to Platinum within a few days; but your membership year didn't change (it's still Jan 1 to Dec 31). In your 2017 membership year - which was fixed to the calendar year - you started as Gold, but you got to Platinum part way through. Your 2017 membership year was a "hybrid" one; part Gold, part Platinum. Therefore, your first full and complete Platinum year didn't commence until Jan 1 2018. Your 2nd year was 2019; your 3rd year was 2020; your 4th year was 2021; your 5th year was 2022; your 6th year was 2023; and your 7th year is your current membership year, 2024.

Does your counter currently show 7 years? Then all is correct and as expected.
atflyer and Fabo.sk like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 16, 2024 at 6:05 am
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:04 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Indeed. Any half year or more being plat in 2017 does not count; the first real qualification moment under the rules from then counting towards PFL was 01.01.18. After this you need another 9 qualifications in a row...
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atflyer
Indeed. Any half year or more being plat in 2017 does not count; the first real qualification moment under the rules from then counting towards PFL was 01.01.18. After this you need another 9 qualifications in a row...
And, lest the OP still remain unhappy with this explanation, they only need to get their head around the way the data is presented. That the count doesn't align with what they expect, doesn't mean that they've been shortchanged or have to wait 11 years for PfL.

The OP appears to be expecting the "count" shown in the middle column below, whereas FB instead shows the count in the right-hand column below.

I've put these tables in "code" fields, because otherwise the formatting is incorrect. Have a look, and follow along the procedure. The "problem" is just that FB is showing you something that does not exactly match with your own expectations.

Code:
Year  -  Times Qualified for Platinum          -   Count showing in FB Account
2017  - 1 (First Time; qual as Platinum for 2018) - 0 (current year 2017 is not a full Platinum year)
2018  - 2 (2nd consecutive time; qual for 2019)   - 1 (current year 2018 is first Platinum year)
2019  - 3 (3rd consecutive time; qual for 2020)   - 2 (current year 2019 is second Platinum year)
2020  - 4 (4th consecutive time; qual for 2021)   - 3 (current year 2020 is third Platinum year)
2021  - 5 (5th consecutive time; qual for 2022)   - 4 (current year 2021 is fourth Platinum year)
2022  - 6 (6th consecutive time; qual for 2023)   - 5 (current year 2022 is fifth Platinum year)
2023  - 7 (7th consecutive time; qual for 2024)   - 6 (current year 2023 is sixth Platinum year)
2024  -  UNCLEAR YET WHETHER OP HAS QUALIFIED     - 7 (current year 2024 is seventh Platinum year)
                       DURING 2024 FOR 2025      
I'll stop this here because this is where the OP seems to be now. But let's assume that, sometime during 2024 (and maybe, especially with rollovers, this has happened already), they exceed 300XP to thereby guarantee another year of Platinum. Continuing on this journey, this is what will happen in the future:

Code:
Year  -  Times Qualified for Platinum           -   Count showing in FB Account
2024 - 8 (8th consecutive time; qual for 2025) -   7 (current year 2024 is seventh Platinum year)
2025 - 9 (9th consecutive time; qual for 2026) -   8 (current year 2025 is eighth Platinum year)
2026 - 10 (10th consecutive time; qual for 2027) - 9 (current year 2026 is ninth Platinum year)
Let's pause here; if the OP continues to requalify in each of 2024, 2025 and 2026, then PfL is guaranteed...as long as they don't have their account shutdown during the year!
Despite the counter only showing 9 in calendar year 2026, all they have to do is ensure that they requalify that final 10th time in that year. The "count" won't reach 10 until that actual 10th year commences in the NEXT membership year....

Code:
Year   -  Times Qualified for Platinum      -   Count showing in FB Account
2027  -  IRRELEVANT; NO MORE REQUAL NEEDED - 10 (current year 2027 is tenth Platinum year; PfL officially granted)
To the OP: the counter in your account is not counting the number of times you have requalified; it is instead counting off the number of completed platinum years. I understand that this is not what you expect, nor is it what you want; however, it is what it is. Your account is in order; you have not been "docked" a year due to Covid or any other reason; and you really only have to qualify again in this year (2024), next year (2025) and the year after (2026) to get to PfL - and even then, your counter will still only show 9 when you have completed the task - because you have not yet even started that 10th year at that time.

I'm not sure I can simplify or visualise this any more clearly for you. If you're still unhappy, all I can say is - you actually have nothing at all to worry about. You are on course for PfL and you only require 10 consecutive years of Platinum, just like everybody else, even if you don't like/accept/understand the counter in your account (in which case - just ignore it).

What you do in THIS YEAR determines your status for NEXT YEAR. This is what accounts for the "discrepancy" of one year that you are complaining about. I hope you now see that there is no discrepancy - just that what is shown is somewhat different from what you were/are expecting.
Your "counter" doesn't increment, mid-year, at the moment you requalify for the following year (which is what you seem to expect). That "requalification" is actually delayed until the end of your current Platinum year, and the start of the next year. It seems that this is the best way to explain the misapprehension about the value of the counter; you expect it to increment as soon as the subsequent year's Platinum has been secured, but it actually doesn't increment until that subsequent year starts.
Fabo.sk likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 16, 2024 at 7:46 am
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:38 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
To the OP. I also gained Platinum status in 2017, October in fact. You can't beat a good graph , so I track my Level Miles (pre Apirl 2018) and now XP , My AF app says 7 years which makes sense, but will bring PfL foward by 2 years due to the Transition Years starting this November and my XP build in 2024

irishguy28 and Xandrios like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by siw
but will bring PfL foward by 2 years due to the Transition Years starting this November and my XP build in 2024
Aargh! Let's not muddy the waters even more by introducing *that* topic....

My guess is that the OP will never exceed a running total of 600XP - which is definitely the case for me - in which case that procedure has no impact whatsoever on their progress, meaning that they do not need to try to get their head around that topic!

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 16, 2024 at 8:50 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.