Double XP back for 2H 2021 (& more)

Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL Plat
Double XP back for 2H 2021 (& more)

Listened on on an AFKL 'Northern Europe' presentation this afternoon, Frédéric Kahane mentioned double XP will be back from July to December, and should be communicated soon. He was asked about XP rollover protection for quali periods ending Jan 2022 and onwards which fall outside the current guidelines and said nothing's decided yet but they are looking at it. Also asked about how long the full-flex fares will continue but didn't reveal anything new, only for tickets with an outbound in 2021.

Also to note he mentioned the introduction of a Family FB account 2022, the only benefit to this seems to be the pooling of miles between 'family' members, no sharing of status or XP. Apparently the IT behind this is too complicated to anything more!

Premium Eco coming on KL, but that's been known for a while. They showed an example seat which didn't look to be the hard shell AF type. Economy comfort won't be affected ny this.

Ironically whilst they were presenting the new KL seats on 737 & Embraer, I just happened to be reading the thread here about how crap they were

No mention of the new short/medium haul baggage fees...
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:10 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
I have a disruptive idea. AF KL, instead of giving double miles, could give bonus miles based on the distance travelled and the class of travel (eco 100%, premium 125%, business 150% and first 300%), with a minimum of 1000 miles per flight, and an additional FB status bonus of 25%, 50% or 100% on the base bonus miles (though not on the cabin bonus). Imagine you're FB Gold (a.k.a. Rouge) flying GVA CDG JFK in tempo challenge / premium economy, you earn your normal miles based on the price paid, and also a bonus of 1000+500+250+3630+1815+907 = 8102 bonus miles!

OK, that might be too much forward thinking for AFKL, and their IT systems would need a lot of development to cope with such a revolutionary idea, but well, you may say I am dreamer, but I'm not the only one...
KL803 and Solevita like this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:02 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Solevita
Also asked about how long the full-flex fares will continue but didn't reveal anything new, only for tickets with an outbound in 2021.
I have been wondering if a policy change is in the works. https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/pre...date/index.htm has been unavailable (to me at least) for the past two days. The last version I was able to access actually covered 2022 departures with what looked like nearly the same flex conditions (refund only if flight cancelled, but free changes to date and destinations - the only omitted element for 2022 flights was the option to request a travel voucher, but the ability to change dates and destinations with no change fee is effectively the same thing).

Am I the only one who can't seem to get access to this page anymore?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:21 am

Programs: Eurostar Avantage, FB Silver
Originally Posted by ocdb8r
I have been wondering if a policy change is in the works. https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/pre...date/index.htm has been unavailable (to me at least) for the past two days. The last version I was able to access actually covered 2022 departures with what looked like nearly the same flex conditions (refund only if flight cancelled, but free changes to date and destinations - the only omitted element for 2022 flights was the option to request a travel voucher, but the ability to change dates and destinations with no change fee is effectively the same thing).

Am I the only one who can't seem to get access to this page anymore?
I can access the page. It is last updated yesterday at 2:45 PM (CET). Conditions for flights with departure after 1st january 2022 are indeed change travel date free of charge (with tariff difference) or choose another destination and use the full value of the amount paid towards new tickets on AF/KL/DL/VS. Change fee not applicable, tariff difference possible. Cancellation is according to the ticket terms & conditions.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
How does the family pool work ?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:37 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
How does the family pool work ?
I suspect this will be like how BA or LH does it - just add members to the Main/Lead FFP account. I think this will be a good step forward especially if you have "family" member who don't have sufficient miles or does not fly as often and they just need that extra few miles to get an award ticket or upgrade.

The double-XP does sound interesting - as currently am not sure for a (hopefully will be able to travel) US flight later this year to credit this to FB or SM. Giving double XP might just make me lean towards FB despite less redeemable miles earned and at least increase my rollover XP for the coming years - if my understanding of their status protection policy for this year is correct.

Cheers!
Old Jun 4, 2021, 5:32 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Interesting, thanks for reporting. I think that many of us were expecting the double XP promo to kick in at some point this year, though personally I would not have expected it this soon. That'd be great though.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Last time I used it to requalify instead of counting on a complimentary qualification/ extension. I figured that the cost wasn't that high to do and this way I was sure to have it.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: FB PLATINUM / ACCOR DIAMOND / HITLON DIAMOND / IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR
Very good news

I was feeling that double XP was very likely to come back, as I received a customer satisfaction survey with many questions leaning on this topic ("Would you be more likely to fly AF/KL if double XP came back in the following months", etc.)

I think I will heavily work on securing PFL in the following months...
Old Jun 4, 2021, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If nothing else you can build up a nice surplus of XPs to help you going forward in the future. That's my strategy because most of my foreign engagements have dried up for now and will take a while to pick up again. Of course, one needs to ask the question if one really will need PFL in the future.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Double XP is back? OK, I am a few hundred Euros away from extending ULTI (one European return flight with a stop in either CDG or AMS).
Old Jun 4, 2021, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that actually worth doing? Based on what I have read while following the Ulti thread (and having no aspiration to become Ulti) I wouldn't bother. But it's easy to say that if I have no Ulti ambitions.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Concerto
Is that actually worth doing? Based on what I have read while following the Ulti thread (and having no aspiration to become Ulti) I wouldn't bother. But it's easy to say that if I have no Ulti ambitions.
Starting from zero I'd fully agree with you, but as San Gottardo is so close (although there's reports of being comped for the remain UXP when you're close to Ulti), it makes sense. I don't think there any disadvantages to being Ulti vs non-Ulti, well apart from the dashed expectations, but then San Gottardo is extending Ulti so I'm sure has had expectations dashed already hence nothing to lose
Xandrios likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Does double XP promo means also double UXP ?
Old Jun 5, 2021, 3:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Does double XP promo means also double UXP ?
Last year it was if I remember correctly ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.