FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Flying Blue Platinum For Life...... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/2032105-flying-blue-platinum-life.html)

Tonic27 Jan 8, 2021 11:14 am

Flying Blue Platinum For Life......

Following the success of the ultimate forum, I thought I would create this thread to see if what or any benefits exist when one becomes Platinum for life.

Please post your findings (if at all you have any)

Paul.

maalloc Jan 8, 2021 11:31 am

I've heard you get to enjoy platinum status for a duration that depends a lot on your personal situation. AF/KL is known to do heavy age-related discrimination on this matter.

Concerto Jan 9, 2021 8:03 am

Well, I've got another 7 years to go before I hit it and I'm really not sure I am going to be able to keep any real travel pattern up if this goes on longer than the summer. There's little leisure travel at the moment and most work abroad has dried up at the moment. I will give it my best shot, though.

r0gerthat Jan 9, 2021 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by maalloc (Post 32951187)
I've heard you get to enjoy platinum status for a duration that depends a lot on your personal situation. AF/KL is known to do heavy age-related discrimination on this matter.

Can you elaborate or point to posts describing certain situations? Quite curious actually, only 7 more years to go and I'm not that old ;)

Xandrios Jan 10, 2021 4:02 am

He's just saying that you'll have the regular platinum perks like any other platinum member until either you or the programme expires. Whichever comes first ;)

maalloc Jan 10, 2021 5:51 am

Yep, @Xandrios summed it up perfectly ;)

Though let's be optimistic: while I agree on dying sometime, I would hate to see the program disappear anytime soon.

Digicola Jan 10, 2021 6:08 am

I do remember reading on this forum that PFL get group 1 boarding. I guess thats one perk.

Yolow Jan 10, 2021 7:43 am

Note sure PFL gives you more perks than Platinum.

As per FB site
After 10 consecutive years of Platinum membership, enjoy Platinum benefits without needing to re-qualify for your level. Please note: any years as a ‘Platinum for 2’ member or as an invitee to Platinum do not count towards Platinum for life eligibility.

hervebkk Jan 27, 2021 12:57 pm

Hi All,
I wrote the following letter to the Flying Blue / AF Commercial management since we can all be concerned that travelling won't recover in 2021, and many of us can only hope for special measures to be able to prolong our Platinum status by another year until the global situation allows corporate and private travels without restrictions again. Maybe some of my fellow Platinum colleagues will be inspired to do the same....Hello,
Unfortunately the situation at the start of 2021 is not very different from 2020 and it will last until the summer at least at the current rate of development and vaccinations. The companies still have travel bans, moreover the authorities of many countries, including France and Holland impose restrictions which make travel almost impossible, moreover Air France and KLM flights are greatly reduced, making very difficult ideal connections to Paris or Amsterdam, whether for Europe or long haul.

I have visited your site to verify the current measures for Platinum members to maintain our status as the situation looks like nothing has been published yet.

Like many frequent travelers, I participate in appropriate forums and many share my concern as you can imagine. Above all, it's about not wasting the years accumulated for Lifetime Platinum status.

The solution offered by Air France and Flying Blue to keep the surplus from the end of 2019 to the end of 2020 was certainly an honest offer, however, the XP accumulated during the first 2 or 3 months of 2020 have been lost, in my case it is 110 XP, which should also be taken into account one way or another.

I do not think this letter can be handled by a standard response, I would like to speak to the commercial management of the company and / or Flying Blue, my number is in my profile

arjen05 Jan 27, 2021 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by hervebkk (Post 32998543)
Hi All,
I wrote the following letter to the Flying Blue / AF Commercial management since we can all be concerned that travelling won't recover in 2021, and many of us can only hope for special measures to be able to prolong our Platinum status by another year

Prolonging would not be something that concerns platinum for life members, since either they or AFKL first has to die before their status expires, so you might want to move this question to the regular platinum thread?

Concerto Jan 28, 2021 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Yolow (Post 32956064)
Note sure PFL gives you more perks than Platinum.

As per FB site
After 10 consecutive years of Platinum membership, enjoy Platinum benefits without needing to re-qualify for your level. Please note: any years as a ‘Platinum for 2’ member or as an invitee to Platinum do not count towards Platinum for life eligibility.

I was just wondering if extensions of the Platinum status due to Corona and lack of travel opportunities would actually count towards the years needed for PFL. In fact, I believe that so far everything has counted toward PFL because FB simply added to our accounts the XPs that were missing in order to help us qualify. There was no extension as such, just a huge amount of help with receiving the missing XPs to requalify, receiving the same surplus XPs as we possessed one year previously at the start of the new XP year, and being offered double XPs on all flights until 31st December 2020. It was a huge amount of help, and it all counted towards PFL membership.

Now, if they change the game this year and simply just extend the status, I reckon that it's not going to count as part of the 10 years needed for PFL. Personally, I hope they do it the way they did it this year, but I have a feeling it will work differently this time.

maalloc Jan 28, 2021 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 33001168)
I was just wondering if extensions of the Platinum status due to Corona and lack of travel opportunities would actually count towards the years needed for PFL.

They do, as the (now totally outdated) Flying Blue covid FAQ explains.

Concerto Feb 16, 2021 2:54 pm

Of course, another thing to bear in mind now is the question as to whether another free year's extension of status will count as one of the years towards platinum for life. I hope so, it shouldn't make much difference to AF if these two years count.

maalloc Feb 16, 2021 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 33041638)
Of course, another thing to bear in mind now is the question as to whether another free year's extension of status will count as one of the years towards platinum for life. I hope so, it shouldn't make much difference to AF if these two years count.

It does, the FB FAQ confirms that !

Masterfrog Mar 4, 2021 12:46 am

Originally Posted by maalloc (Post 32955898)
Yep, @Xandrios summed it up perfectly ;)

Though let's be optimistic: while I agree on dying sometime, I would hate to see the program disappear anytime soon.

If I could exchange a lifetime Flying Blue status with immortality, I might consider it. :)