Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:49 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Covid benefit: Keep previous rollover XPs

As per InsideFlyer:

https://insideflyer.nl/flying-blue-b...icatieperiode/

Source is unclear, but it is claimed that anyone having a positive rollover in 2019-2020 will keep/get a minimum of that same rollover for 2020-2021 due to not being able to fly during Covid times. If true it sounds like FB has heard the (many) people complaining that they 'lost' their buffer of XP's that was collected/saved (including myself).

Edit: Official now: https://pages.flyingblue-info.com/FB...tml/#surplusXP

Last edited by Xandrios; Aug 31, 2020 at 8:36 am
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:13 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Correct! Information should follow on Flyingblue.com / email to members.

I’ll try to prepare some information tonight if not already shared, but this is the main point:

Flying Blue will now protect the amount of surplus XP of Flying Blue Elite members whose qualification period ends between July 2020 and February 2021: that is, we will automatically add XP to their counter to match the surplus XP they had at the beginning of their previous qualification period (before COVID-19).
irishguy28, Goldorak and Thysk like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It's a decent move if true. But for those of us who don't quite make the requisite XPs this year we will still get requalified, right? I am going to be 88XP short by end October.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto
It's a decent move if true. But for those of us who don't quite make the requisite XPs this year we will still get requalified, right? I am going to be 88XP short by end October.
Yes. Even if you don't make the requalification requirement, FB will first 'top-up' your account to ensure you maintain your status level for another year. Then, with this new measure, you get the surplus XP you had at the beginning of the qualification period.

Example:
Platinum member in December 2019 has the following XP counter: 320 XP. With 300 XP offset, there are 20 XP surplus.
In December 2020 the member has an XP counter: 160 XP. 140 XP are offered by Flying Blue to maintain Platinum and the counter is offset by 300 XP. Surplus without measures would be 0 XP. Now though, 20 XP are added to maintain the surplus of the previous year.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:23 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Examples from flying blue

Please see the below examples from FB
Attached Images  
irishguy28, AurelAF96 and Thysk like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:31 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
@Gajan, what the the acronym PLC in your examples?

If this is true and how it will work for me as I am going through the examples. I started 2020 with 632 XP and I had two flights on 1st January to be on 683 XP. Since then I have not flown at all. Every flight in 2020, even my forthcoming flights, have all been cancelled so I have missed out on earning 340 XP this year. I think this put me in the Platinum Member C group.

Last edited by siw; Aug 31, 2020 at 3:45 am Reason: Update
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Gajan
Please see the below examples from FB
As if it wasn't complicated to understand until now, let's make it even more complicated
Example A though still shows how the most frequent flyers still don't get anything, would it have been so complicated to just add +1 year of the same level and not touch the XP at all (not add nor offset anything at the end of the membership year).
Example E is also interesting, PAX had 75XP in Jan 2020 and somehow managed to lose 5 of them by Dec
arjen05, Thysk and JournoFlyer like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: FB Plat
I have the feeling I fall under the example of Platinum member C. From what I have calculated, I started 2020 with a ~430XP rollover, and I have now about 560XP.

- If I don't fly at all from now, at the end of the year I will be deducted 300XP to maintain Plat (rollover of 260XP) and be offered 170XP for free to maintain the rollover I had in early 2020,
- If I fly (let's be honest, I don't expect to be able to travel more than once in Europe per month, which would trigger at best 20XP (R/T with stop at AMS)*2 (bonus)*4 (months) = 160XP. I would end the year with 720XP, will be deducted 300XP to maintain Plat (rollover of 420XP) and be offered 10XP for free to maintain the rollover I had in early 2020.

So in both cases I will end 2020 with the exact same number of XP, with one case being way cheaper than the other.

I was expecting to (carefully) take a few flights until the end of the year to catch some XP and take benefit of the *2 promotion. I am not sure I will anymore (or maybe just once for fun, on a cheap J ticket on any alliance?). Not sure it is worth the hassle travel has unfortunately become.

In a nutshell, very good move for me and my savings , but not really for AF. The *2 bonus was at least an incentive to fly.

Last edited by Porcepic; Aug 31, 2020 at 3:07 am
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Ditto
As if it wasn't complicated to understand until now, let's make it even more complicated
It's not that complicated.

You will start next year with either:

a) the exact same XP amount you began the current year with, or
b) your "normal" XP amount, if you are one of the few who managed to do some serious flying in the current membership year, and the "normal" rollover mechanism gives you a greater amount of rollover XP than you would get from a)

I have to say - I never expected FB to do this, and this now makes them by far the most generous of any FFP I've seen when it comes to mitigating the effects of Covid19 in 2020!!

(Now, if only they would follow VS and allow us to earn XPs on award flights )
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by siw
@Gajan, what the the acronym PLC in your examples?
Periodic level check (as opposed to "rolling level check"); the level check that takes place at the very end of the membership year. In each example, the customer gets to the end of the membership year without having increased in status - which, of course, is no longer possible for Platinums anyway).
siw and Thysk like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Periodic level check (as opposed to "rolling level check"); the level check that takes place at the very end of the membership year. In each example, the customer gets to the end of the membership year without having increased in status - which, of course, is no longer possible for Platinums anyway).
It's 'Personal level check' to be precise.
siw likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 4:15 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Gajan
Correct! Information should follow on Flyingblue.com / email to members.

I’ll try to prepare some information tonight if not already shared, but this is the main point:
I hope the qualification period will not be the same as the one that is displayed on your quote!
Disqualifying members who had their renewal between March and July seems hardly fair as their travels plans were hit has hard as anyone else's; and they did get their XP count decreased in spring 2020...

Originally Posted by Porcepic
In a nutshell, very good move for me and my savings , but not really for AF. The *2 bonus was at least an incentive to fly.
Yep. This move will definitely not help the bottom line. I was planning a few XP-runs by the end of December, will definitely not do them if my situation (with a renewal on June 30th) ends up qualifying me for the new measure...
Thysk likes this.

Last edited by maalloc; Aug 31, 2020 at 4:23 am
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:00 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
I wonder if folks at FB read FlyerTalk and they consider the comments here. This new policy, if true, helps me out with FB giving me 249 XP so that I will start 1 Jan 2021 with the same XP that I rolled over into 1 Jan 2020.

As an outlier case I had December 2020 outbound and Janary 2021 return flights already cancelled (not that my destination will/would allow foreigners in for a very long time to come anyway). Fingers crossed FB might consider this at some point.

Last edited by siw; Aug 31, 2020 at 5:09 am
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:11 am

How can I know how much my rollover xp was for the previous year?
Do they look at the end of my own qualification period (aug 31) or Dec 31?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Loualex1399
How can I know how much my rollover xp was for the previous year?
Do they look at the end of my own qualification period (aug 31) or Dec 31?
It's based on your own qualification period (i.e. the personal level check).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.