Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

US Citizen UK -> AMS -> US Two Itinerary Advice Needed

Old Aug 6, 20, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle

Hello all, I suspect I already know the answer; however, I'd like to confirm with minds more familiar with KLM than I am.

I am currently booked to fly US -> UK and then AMS -> US in late September/early October. Flights all DL-ticketed on DL metal except for JFK -> LHR (on VS).

Under my original (read: pre-COVID) plan, I was planning to take the train from London to Amsterdam and visit some friends before my flight back to the US. Now, that plan is bunk.

So here is my question:

If I buy a one-way ticket on KLM from London to AMS, will simply having a ticket (same day) departing AMS on a separate (but still SkyMiles) itinerary be enough to be allowed to board the flight? Or will the lack of continuing flight on the KLM itinerary be disqualifying?

I'm hoping yes, otherwise, I'll have to spend some quality time on the phone with Delta.
Old Aug 6, 20, 10:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I think at the moment nobody knows what rules will be in place in late September / early October. At the moment you're not allowed to leave the transit area but I can't tell if you'll be denied boarding or not.
Old Aug 7, 20, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman View Post
So here is my question:

If I buy a one-way ticket on KLM from London to AMS, will simply having a ticket (same day) departing AMS on a separate (but still SkyMiles) itinerary be enough to be allowed to board the flight? Or will the lack of continuing flight on the KLM itinerary be disqualifying?
No-one has a crystal ball so nobody can tell you what the situation will be like in late September or October. However, I think the chances are quite good that the reciprocal travel bans that the US and EU have on each others' citizens will still be in force.

I would advise you, therefore, to focus your trip on the UK only, and to change your return leg such that it departs from the UK.

This is not a time to be dealing with separate tickets; even though both you and I know that your intention is not to enter the Netherlands, you run a very real risk of being thwarted in your travels.

Now, more than ever, book all travel on a single ticket. I would strongly advise you to change your open-jaw to a simple return.
Goldorak, dantheflyingman and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 7, 20, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
No-one has a crystal ball so nobody can tell you what the situation will be like in late September or October. However, I think the chances are quite good that the reciprocal travel bans that the US and EU have on each others' citizens will still be in force.

I would advise you, therefore, to focus your trip on the UK only, and to change your return leg such that it departs from the UK.

This is not a time to be dealing with separate tickets; even though both you and I know that your intention is not to enter the Netherlands, you run a very real risk of being thwarted in your travels.

Now, more than ever, book all travel on a single ticket. I would strongly advise you to change your open-jaw to a simple return.
Thanks, mate. That is what I suspected would be prudent. Now to see if I can convince Delta to add a leg without repricing the entire itinerary (obviously not anything this forum can comment on) - fortunately, there have been about a bazillion schedule changes since I first bought the ticket.
Old Aug 7, 20, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is this an award ticket? If so, remember that DL can create space on flights it operates, but there might not be award seats available with DL miles on partners?

Shouldn't the plan be to switch to a simple RT ticket to LHR and back? I don't see why you're trying to add a segment.
Old Aug 7, 20, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Is this an award ticket? If so, remember that DL can create space on flights it operates, but there might not be award seats available with DL miles on partners?

Shouldn't the plan be to switch to a simple RT ticket to LHR and back? I don't see why you're trying to add a segment.
It's a paid ticket. I'd prefer to keep my AMS -> US since it's on an A350. However, it occurs to me that beggars shouldn't be choosy.

My biggest goal is not to incur any repricing when I change from open jaw to simple return.
Old Aug 7, 20, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Have you priced the new ticket? If that is within range, consider cancelling for a credit and then using the credit to purchase the new ticket. If there is close to no difference, DL might even exchange the tickets and not go through the hassle. But, starting price is to determine the new price.
irishguy28 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: